• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A real Newbie question- Seamaster

crystalpink

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/10/13
Hi

I am trying to source a Seamaster rep for my dad (he can barely turn a computer on, let alone do anything on one!)

Now I know nothing about these watches (or watches in general)

I have been looking at some images of the style he has told me he wants and have seen two watches that seem to be exactly the same as each other apart from a line around the bezel differs, in that one is thicker than the other (please see attached image)

Please could someone be kind enough to tell me the difference between these two. I assume they are both different models?

Many many thanks, from a clueless newbie!:RWI:

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
The left one is the classic planet ocean. The V5 for 42mm or UPO for the 45mm as they are known on the forum.

The right one is the ceramic version. However the insert isn't really ceramic and you can see the movement through the clear caseback. It has a lot more tells.

You can also see the dial markers at 3 o clock and 9 o clock are different. V5 has trapeziods and ceramic has squares.

I have the V5 42mm PO and it is really nice. Just the AR on the crystal isn't all that but you can buy a Sunnydale crystal from the parts section (I saw one listed earlier) and this will fix that purple glass.

I hope that helps.

crystalpink

22/10/13
The left one is the classic planet ocean. The V5 for 42mm or UPO for the 45mm as they are known on the forum.

The right one is the ceramic version. However the insert isn't really ceramic and you can see the movement through the clear caseback. It has a lot more tells.

You can also see the dial markers at 3 o clock and 9 o clock are different. V5 has trapeziods and ceramic has squares.

I have the V5 42mm PO and it is really nice. Just the AR on the crystal isn't all that but you can buy a Sunnydale crystal from the parts section (I saw one listed earlier) and this will fix that purple glass.

I hope that helps.

So in your honest opinion, quality wise, the one on the left is first choice? I know he wants 45mm.

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
Quality wise they are both very good. Each have their own tells from the genuine. Some tells are bigger than others and it is what you can live with.

Make sure when you buy you specify the 45mm either way.

There is plenty of information around these in the Omega section in the stickies.

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
You want to ask the dealers for a V5 UPO w/ orange bezel. Clone ETA movement. That's the best one & nothing else.

You can opt for Swiss movement at a cost increase if you deem it worthwhile.

crystalpink

22/10/13
Quality wise they are both very good. Each have their own tells from the genuine. Some tells are bigger than others and it is what you can live with.

Make sure when you buy you specify the 45mm either way.

There is plenty of information around these in the Omega section in the stickies.

Thank you

45mm UPO it is. I assume if I ask Ryan for an orange 45mm UPO, he will know what it is?

(I feel so daft asking these questions!!)

crystalpink

22/10/13
You want to ask the dealers for a V5 UPO w/ orange bezel. Clone ETA movement. That's the best one & nothing else.

You can opt for Swiss movement at a cost increase if you deem it worthwhile.

Thank you

This is what I am going to do:thumbsup:

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
Thank you

This is what I am going to do:thumbsup:

Do that and send him the picture you posted and say " the one on the left NOT the one on the right".

In the QC pics make sure it has a metal caseback with a sea monster. Not a glass caseback where you can see the movement.

crystalpink

22/10/13
Do that and send him the picture you posted and say " the one on the left NOT the one on the right".

In the QC pics make sure it has a metal caseback with a sea monster. Not a glass caseback where you can see the movement.

Thank you everyone, great help as always!!