• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Western Union a PITA?

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
Chinese citizens not allowed to accept credit cards. Only these, who have bank accounts in Singapore, Hong Kong and Macao can do it.

s3g0y

Renowned Member
15/12/10
Some TDs use cc gates to collect payment. Puretime, InTime (afaik), Ms King (my favourite dealer but not a TD here).

Luthier

30/9/09
Probably, they don't live in China.
;)
Or they managed to get accounts abroad.

mzcool

I'm Pretty Popular
2/6/13
I think its a pain in the ass, but nothing can be done about it. In a 21st century world, where everything is done on our phones and computers, it can't be anything but a pain in the ass.

You do however need to understand that this hobby of ours isn't exactly in the mainstream, and as such, it is hard to use mainstream payment methods.

pobjednik

27/6/10
What can be so hard with the WU? You just have to go out a little, grab a coffee, pay and it is done!
You maybe even meet someone new ( future wife or a sex date ) at the same time!
Doing it on the phone or the pc is just to easy and to boring ;)

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
What can be so hard with the WU? You just have to go out a little, grab a coffee, pay and it is done!
You maybe even meet someone new ( future wife or a sex date ) at the same time!
Doing it on the phone or the pc is just to easy and to boring ;)
Poor exchange rates, very high charges and often in odd places...! Provided it's a TD, a straight bank transfer is so much nicer.

Capt. Obvious

5/5/13
Online WU is a PITA. My transactions ALWAYS get rejected the first time. Then I have to call my anti-fraud team and do over.
In person they don't take card (cash only) which is ANOTHER PITA.

Sent from my IWC 3777 using a gappy SEL

rek0001

1/1/13
I've used walk in WU a bunch of times, there's one close to my office downtown.

If I remember correctly, sending $350 to China was around $15?

But plunking down all those $20's on the counter makes me realize how expensive our reps have become.

Luthier

30/9/09
Poor exchange rates, very high charges and often in odd places...! Provided it's a TD, a straight bank transfer is so much nicer.
In US any international bank transfer cost $45. WU - only $14.
No brainer.

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
In US any international bank transfer cost $45. WU - only $14.
No brainer.

Provided you are in the USA. But where a currency conversion is required, their conversion rates and charges are very uncompetitive.

smokiedabong

22/8/12
I just choose to pay with WU and now I see this thread :facepalm: SCREW YOU NOOBS FOR RUINING PP !!!
I'll be damned if I have to walk into a store and pay. I mean I can run for 10 miles on a treadmill, but drive my car one mile to the store and then fill in a form not using a keyboard, but a damn pen!? That's to much!

TimeWillTell

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/09
Pita, no! They are agents in every post office. You could alway give them your membership numbers to send monies. (First time payee, will be asked to fill up the membership form. On your next visit no more writing application form but just give the western union membership numbers to the wu agent and she will do the rest)

Fees are suprisnly low, much lower than before..I dont know in other countries but in sgp its only 25sgd for 2000sgd transfer! Way lower than paypal 5% fees!!

For the record, China paypal charges 8%!

If a relatively new member insisted on paypal, I would likely turn down the deal. No reason for him not to use western union. ..

John

Luthier

30/9/09
I just choose to pay with WU and now I see this thread :facepalm: SCREW YOU NOOBS FOR RUINING PP !!!
I'll be damned if I have to walk into a store and pay. I mean I can run for 10 miles on a treadmill, but drive my car one mile to the store and then fill in a form not using a keyboard, but a damn pen!? That's to much!
Smokey, you, lazy fat ass...
:rofl:

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
Fees are suprisnly low, much lower than before..I dont know in other countries but in sgp its only 25sgd for 2000sgd transfer!

John

When I looked at WU, on line, they wanted 35USD for the maximum transaction of 400USD they would allow to the country specified by my TD. And their £-USD exchange rate was abysmal compared to my bank. I gather commission fees are even higher with their agents because of the cut they have to give them.

I fully understand however why TDs are loath to use Paypal!

TimeWillTell

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/09
When I looked at WU, on line, they wanted 35USD for the maximum transaction of 400USD they would allow to the country specified by my TD. And their £-USD exchange rate was abysmal compared to my bank. I gather commission fees are even higher with their agents because of the cut they have to give them.
than I believe the charges varies from countries....

iPanerai

7/1/13
I hate WU. I hate them so much that I only use two TDs that will allow me to pay with PayPal. I wish WU was easier.

Jester7677

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/8/13
I've changed my mind. WU is awesome. Why?

I'm an impulse buyer, and WU helps keep me under control.

Thanks WU!!!!

Luthier

30/9/09
I hate WU. I hate them so much that I only use two TDs that will allow me to pay with PayPal. I wish WU was easier.
WU is incredibly easy. You come in, write the name and the country, your name, and that's it. All takes about 2 minutes, no questions asked. You also can ask for WU Gold Card, then next time you don't have to fill out any papers. And this card gives you tons of free international calls worldwide, with every transaction.
So, no reason to hate. Unless you are lazy ass and manage all your life online, like Smokie.
:p