• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why the odd cover bit?

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
I thought I'd post this here rather than in the Panerai section where I would probably get roasted!

Why have all these Panerais got that ugly bracket round the crown please!?
And why do they currently appear to be in vogue? Is it that reps have only just become available?

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
First - not all PAMs have crown guards.
Second - it's very distinctive detail, distinguishing Panerai from others, kinda trademark.
Third - people like big shiny objects, that's why PAMs are in big demand.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Forth, no one is ever going to knock a crown off a CG Pam are they?

FYI according to Panerai it's proper nomenclature is "the device protecting the crown", they never refer to it as a crown guard.

PAMS, love 'em or hate 'em . . .

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
First - not all PAMs have crown guards.
Second - it's very distinctive detail, distinguishing Panerai from others, kinda trademark.
Third - people like big shiny objects, that's why PAMs are in big demand.

Thanks, very succinctly put! But I don't think it's a path I'm personally tempted to follow.

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
Forth, no one is ever going to knock a crown off a CG Pam are they?

FYI according to Panerai it's proper nomenclature is "the device protecting the crown", they never refer to it as a crown guard.

PAMS, love 'em or hate 'em . . .
Didn't I see some posts about the guard on reps coming loose?:facepalm:

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Thanks, very succinctly put! But I don't think it's a path I'm personally tempted to follow.
Wait for it. Trust me they grow on you.

Didn't I see some posts about the guard on reps coming loose?:facepalm:
Only when folk don't check the screws. Same as a bracelet, if you are silly enough not to check bracelet screws are tight when you first get it chances are one will fall out eventually.

carlton

2/10/11
This is the funny part of Pam, many use to dislike it or think that all of it look the same and nothing special but once they got one, most can never stop(me included).............

Maybe you should get one and physically experience a Pam............:cheer:

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
Wait for it. Trust me they grow on you.

Those dials which appear to be double layers are rather nice I suppose. But I'm a skinny wrister, so I think they'd be too big.
Only when folk don't check the screws. Same as a bracelet, if you are silly enough not to check bracelet screws are tight when you first get it chances are one will fall out eventually.
I shall remember to check and locktite the bracelets on the watches I hope will shortly pass successfully through customs..

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Those dials which appear to be double layers are rather nice I suppose. But I'm a skinny wrister, so I think they'd be too big.
Na, I have 6.5" wrists and I wear 47mm Pams. You can wear a lot larger on a strap than a bracelet. Anyone can wear a 44mm Pam on leather.

I went from no PAMs to over a dozen in under 6 months, they are addictive.

revhrd

5/2/11
Just check out the wristie shot pam thread on the pam section... then be intrigued and next comes the addiction...

6.75" wrist here... not enough pams in my collection not enough straps either.

smokiedabong

22/8/12
Come back to read this thread one year from now. This is how it pretty much goes:
-Join the forum to buy some Rolex/ Breitling / Tag rep
-Find how amazing these reps are and buy some more
-Keep seeing Pam wristies posted everywhere and think they all look the same and are stupid as hell
-Buy some more reps of watches you thought of trying
-Damn Pams wristies everywhere, what is wrong with everyone? Am I the only one who thinks they all look the same?
-Finally own a nice collection of watches you wanted but the rep bug is still there, you feel the need to buy one more, but which one? You already bought the ones you wanted.
-Get your first Pam to see what's the deal with them.
HOLLY SHIT ! Why haven't I tried this earlier? This is amazing.
-Start seeing the differences between Pam models and wanting them all, Sell your initial reps to buy more Pams

At this point you are doomed.

xpletiv

I'm Pretty Popular
3/3/10
Yes,Pams are awesome!!! But if you don't like those 'guards', check out a Graham! Ha!

egroegart

1/7/13
I'm in the still not sure stage. Getting a little closer to a possibility to me, and I am now actually thinking about one, but in the beginning I was same way. Thought they were ugly as hell. Heck, I still do, but with all this hype, I probably will break down and try one sooner or later.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I'm in the still not sure stage. Getting a little closer to a possibility to me, and I am now actually thinking about one, but in the beginning I was same way. Thought they were ugly as hell. Heck, I still do, but with all this hype, I probably will break down and try one sooner or later.

Are we still talking about watches? :D