• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

388 issue again

pkw2704

22/7/13
Well i have the V2 of this and its a nice piece but, upon changing the strap(you know what i am going to say don't you).3 screws came out ok with correct 1.6mm driver but 4th one had small bits of metal around it when it came out,did the swap and 3 tighten but one just spins ,the bar is secure but screw won't tighten or come out....great!
Then to cap it off, i ordered some better screws(set of 8) from panatime,they arrived and must be a bad batch because the screw slots are way too shallow so they are no use.I have had better days......

MoreCowBell

5/9/13
Sorry to hear about the tough times.

Look up loctite in the forum as I think I recall reading that this might prove a viable solution. There is a certain type of loctite so make sure you determine which it is exactly. The loctite should prove to be a suitable adhesive for the screws.

Alternatively, you could inform seller of your problems with the panatime screws and since perhaps they can resend you some.

Let us know how it goes.

revhrd

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/2/11
I was afraid of this, this is exactly why I love/hate radiomir reps. No sense in owning one if straps cannot be changed often.

alanytical

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/8/07
That's a tough break, friend. I was contemplating buying one, but now it's a hell no.

marcogumbo

14/8/13
Well i have the V2 of this and its a nice piece but, upon changing the strap(you know what i am going to say don't you).3 screws came out ok with correct 1.6mm driver but 4th one had small bits of metal around it when it came out,did the swap and 3 tighten but one just spins ,the bar is secure but screw won't tighten or come out....great!
Then to cap it off, i ordered some better screws(set of 8) from panatime,they arrived and must be a bad batch because the screw slots are way too shallow so they are no use.I have had better days......

The Panatime replacement kit is not compatible with this watch. They are made for earlier case designs.
1. The Panatime screws are shorter and made differently than the screws used in the 388 V2. Put them side by side and you will see this. They also have a space for/and an O-ring.
2. The dimensions of the lug-bar ends are different, as the new 388 V2 bars reduce in size on the ends to allow for the fit of the new metal sleeve/spacer that fits on the ends. The Panatime are the same diameter all the way to the end with a groove for a rubber O-ring type spacer.
3. The method used to secure the lugbars is not the same, due to the difference between the Panatime O-ring method...and the newer metal sleeve"fix", which also serves to space the lug-bar end correctly to the case, so that the screw will seat properly.

IMHO, it would be best to try and order a new replacement kit from Kuvarsit.

marcogumbo

14/8/13
Sorry to hear about the tough times.

Look up loctite in the forum as I think I recall reading that this might prove a viable solution. There is a certain type of loctite so make sure you determine which it is exactly. The loctite should prove to be a suitable adhesive for the screws.

Alternatively, you could inform seller of your problems with the panatime screws and since perhaps they can resend you some.

Let us know how it goes.

Actually, Loctite is a threadlocking product...used to stop vibrational loosening of screws and bolts and such. It is a very good idea but will be of no real use in this case as the screw is spinning freely in place. i.e, the threads are not making the proper contact necessary for the threadlocker to work...and it is, for very good reason, not an adhesive.

chromed.

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/10
actually, using a stronger loctite mixture COULD work but of cux, not too strong.

but yes, it has happened to me on both my previous radiomir reps(183&380). screws have always been an issue.

what i did, which worked for me was, fill half of the hole with blu-tack/rodico(kinda like an adhesive, soft clay-like mixture)&a lil loctite. screws stayed on when they needed to&came off when necessary. do note, it may not work for alll&u'd need to wipe off any excess blu-tack&loctite if it seeps out aft screwed in.

cheers :)

marcogumbo

14/8/13
actually, using a stronger loctite mixture COULD work but of cux, not too strong.

but yes, it has happened to me on both my previous radiomir reps(183&380). screws have always been an issue.

what i did, which worked for me was, fill half of the hole with blu-tack/rodico(kinda like an adhesive, soft clay-like mixture)&a lil loctite. screws stayed on when they needed to&came off when necessary. do note, it may not work for alll&u'd need to wipe off any excess blu-tack&loctite if it seeps out aft screwed in.

cheers :)

Glad you brought up another solution.

And I found that the Panatime kit and screws work great on my 380…but not on the 388 V2.
On the 388 I have 2 spinning screws and have used a small amount of silicone sealant on top of the screws in the hole to hold the screws in, and it works fine...NOT the adhesive, however. :)

chromed.

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/10
thanks.

&yes, panatime screws were made for manual winding rad cases, i believe e auto versions require a slightly longer/different screw but i may b wrong on that.

well, another solution would be to NOT get any more rads, like me. i've stuck to luminors. :D

ssclassa80

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/13
I just had my first stripped radiomir screw. Been using the low test loctite and think it did more harm than good. For anyone using the loctite, clean it 100% off after a strap change! Mine stripped its threads upon re-tightening. Too much crud in the hole I think.
Luckily I've settled on a strap and used the same soft loctite (blue) on the bum screw and it's been holding for a week now.

apwatch1688

17/3/13
I have the 388, so far it been working very well, change strap with no issue.
One thing I noticed, make sure to use slightly bigger screw driver, 1.8 should work fine, as smaller size will cause the screw head thread to wear out.

When changing strap, do not unscrew fully, just enough to pull it out will do, one thing good with the v2 is there is another holder for the lugs, it shouldn't come out if u did not unscrew fully. Just push the lug back to the holder after changing strap.

This is little trick I learn on radiomir...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

marcogumbo

14/8/13
I have the 388, so far it been working very well, change strap with no issue.
One thing I noticed, make sure to use slightly bigger screw driver, 1.8 should work fine, as smaller size will cause the screw head thread to wear out.

When changing strap, do not unscrew fully, just enough to pull it out will do, one thing good with the v2 is there is another holder for the lugs, it shouldn't come out if u did not unscrew fully. Just push the lug back to the holder after changing strap.

This is little trick I learn on radiomir...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

This is some great advice. Thanks, ap!!

pkw2704

22/7/13
its a shame cause its a nice watch.the screws are just spinning ,neither come out .Lucky i had just put my new fav strap on ,may loctite them just incase