• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UK customs on genuine watches

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
OK, I am about to replace my stolen black bay, and as a true watch nut, I ofcourse have my thoughts flying all over the place about wether to get the same ol' watch, or get something new, now that I have the chance.

I have looked at some used gens, both rolie and tudor both in EU and in the US.

NOW; if I buy a gen in the US, I will have to import it into Denmark, which will cost me an arm (our customs actually catch anything comming through).
If I have it sent to a mate in UK, the question is, will there be anything on the insured parcel ( insured higher value than a rep), that will tick the customs, and make them charge customs and other horrible fees?

I always assumed that the UK was customs safe (93,5%) and therefore had this solution as first thought, but then I got to think that the high value parcel was a problemo.

I like to hear thoughts of anyone who has experience with this.

thanks guys :)

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Depends on if you want to risk it or not. The risk is that if the value on the parcel doesn't match the item and it goes missing, then you risk not being able to claim back. You also will have to pay VAT at 20% as well as import fees if it does get picked up. Don't forget that US prices don't include sales tax (9%?). You can buy independent insurance for shipping watches though that doesn't involve the shipping company but I don't know where you would stand if you'd misrepresented the cost of the item.

i_like_shiney_things

24/10/13
I've had around 60% of the high value items sent to my house caught by customs in the UK (I come from the UK, just living in Seoul now). Maybe I'm just unlucky but they really seem to be on top of catching you and taking your hard earned money :(

watchman12345

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/06
If you declare the true value of the watch, they will catch it and you will have to pay duty. If you declare a low value you will be in trouble if it goes missing.

wampa

Known Member
4/12/12
Recently nearly all my packages with DHL & FedEx get charged, by invoice, after the item has been received.

I reckon about 25%-30% of my incoming packages with Royal-Mail/Parcelforce Worldwide get caught too incoming to UK.

Remember the postage costs are included in the value too which bumps up the customs costs even more.

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
why cant someone send you it for you to repair? - its not like you are buying it

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
thanks for your replies guys :) seems that sending declared as it is, is a bad idea, just as I feared. great to have other peoples experienc es to live by :)

wat, not a bad point, but how on earth can I explain that I am about to use my scaffolding skills to repair a rolex watch? does anyone have experience with something like that? -perhaos say that the watch is comming back from repair...?

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I always have a note and 'receipt' put in with anything coming back from repair into the UK and have never been asked to pay anything, even with a realistic value on the parcel.

I'm not sure on the rules for VAT now, but it used to be anything over 6 months old was exempt as no longer considered new.

To be honest, to avoid the risk on a nice watch, why not get a cheap flight to the UK, buy the watch, enjoy a weekend with your friend and then fly home wearing your 'old' watch?

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
I always have a note and 'receipt' put in with anything coming back from repair into the UK and have never been asked to pay anything, even with a realistic value on the parcel.

I'm not sure on the rules for VAT now, but it used to be anything over 6 months old was exempt as no longer considered new.

To be honest, to avoid the risk on a nice watch, why not get a cheap flight to the UK, buy the watch, enjoy a weekend with your friend and then fly home wearing your 'old' watch?

Well, the watch is older than 6 months. Middle 80's watch. One that I am looking at, is in florida. Flying to UK wouldn't help much, as the shipping between UK and Denmark is no problem at all. Only from the US to UK is the problem.

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
Sorry, didn't quite understand! I'm in the UK and have had second hand stuff sent in with a note saying "fixed it, all working now, enjoy it" several times with no issues, however, this might just be luck...

fortis Persicum

I'm Pretty Popular
24/2/13
I'm not sure if this is even an option for you. But would it be cheaper to go to the states to pick the watch up? Wear it back and ship papers in the mail? I've had friends do this across the border and they have saved tons of money