• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sending a watch back to a Trusted Dealer

hems101

Horology Curious
4/7/13
I took the plunge and bought a [FONT=&quot]Bell & Ross BR03-88 through Puretime and the QC pictures looked great. I have received the watch but there seems to be a problem with the digital side of the watch. When you set the time using the digital display the analogue side of the watch doesn’t match up. So when the digital time reads 1.40. The hands actually show 2.43. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have contacted Puretime and asked them if I can send the watch back and either get it replaced or repaired. They have asked me to send it via EMS or Airmail with a tracking number. (shipping from the U.K)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Can someone recommend me the best way to do this with and which company? I have checked Roymail and they seem to be charging close to £60 to send it back. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]or has anyone had any experience in getting this repaired? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any advice or help would be appreciated [/FONT]

maxko

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
23/9/13
It's better if you take it to local watchsmith first, if it's small issue it could be easy/cheaply repair because sending back to China from what i've read over the boards it's a pain. It normally takes about 1 month to send it back then replacement to be send to you.
Not personal experience though, this is what i've learnd over the boards

carlton

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/10/11
The best would be to find someone locally or a trusted watchsmith around EU that can fix it for you. There is a certain % of risk to send a watch back to China by registered airmail as the local postal service is very slow.

If you want a shipping method that is more reliable then go for those like EMS or whichever faster and safer postal service available in your country but the cost of the shipping might already be enough for you to send it to a watchsmith locally or around EU to get it fixed. Either way, you still have to wait for a couple of month for your watch to be fixed and receive it back.

Take a look around, we do have quite a few trusted watchsmith here from EU. Not sure whether will they be able to fix a analog digital watch or not but no harm asking.

hems101

Horology Curious
4/7/13
Thank you for the information. My concern is that it has a digital element to it. It might not be a straight forward to fix but i will try a few trusted watch smith's to see what they can do.

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I've sent a couple of watches back to my TD at his suggestion from the UK in the past.

I sent them by Royal Mail with the 'signed for' option which also gives you a tracking number. I don't remember the price exactly but it was more in the region of £10 rather than £60, what I do remember was that the Royal Mail website was very useful in working out exactly which shipping method to ask for in the Post Office as this really controls the price!

Luc717

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/13
I was just about to ask this same question, so thanks everyone for helping me out too.

I sent them by Royal Mail with the 'signed for' option

Alex I just wanted to check, how long did it take to get there via the airmail method, if you recall? And was the lack of tracking not a problem?

It's about £13 for me to send back my PO to my TD. It has a problem with the movement and the bezel so I feel it's the best option, but the lack of tracking outside the UK is a concern for me on a piece that cost me £250. Insurance covers it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kime

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/9/13
I have heard that this round trip can be 3+ months... does not sound appealing to me

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
You sure there's no method for sync'ing the two? I'd check what movement you have and do some reading before sending it back.

It took me the use of Google and about 30 seconds to find that many of those, if not all, have genuine eta 988.333 movements and it can be easily changed if you just read the instructions.

https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopDef...dex=2&tabid=28

Select Flatline then your caliber

NB: The watch is equipped with an end-of-life
(EOL) battery indicator, which operates by causing
the digital display to flash.

Look at the operating instructions. You might have your Time zone out of sync. Page 5

Changing the time zone
Whenever you change time zone or whenever
daylight saving changes occur between winter
and summer (and vice versa), you are able to
advance or retract the time shown by the hands
by anywhere between one and several hours
without losing the display showing the minutes
and seconds. To do this:
- Select and display local time.
- Pull out the crown. The numerals for hours and
minutes flash and the symbol T appears in the dial.

- Turn the crown backwards or forwards quickly.
The hands advance or retract the time by one
complete hour and the digital time display changes
to match this new setting.
- Press the crown back down. The display showing
seconds continues to flash. Press the
crown to set the time to the exact second (see
4.2.2).
Note:
Do not turn the crown in small increments after
turning it quickly in order to change the time zone
setting.

Or it could be showing the second time zone.

hems101

Horology Curious
4/7/13
Thanks KBH i will take a look tonight again. ... I did go through the manual but i didn't Google :(. I went through every option on the watch.

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I was just about to ask this same question, so thanks everyone for helping me out too.

Alex I just wanted to check, how long did it take to get there via the airmail method, if you recall? And was the lack of tracking not a problem?

It's about £13 for me to send back my PO to my TD. It has a problem with the movement and the bezel so I feel it's the best option, but the lack of tracking outside the UK is a concern for me on a piece that cost me £250. Insurance covers it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember the whole thing took about a month both times, something like a week there, a couple of weeks for the repair and a week back.

My TD was happy with the tracking number supplied by Royal Mail, probably more from a proof of postage point of view than that he was going to track it (and just be told it had left the UK) every 5 minutes like we do!

I only went with RMs standard £50 insurance, partly becasue I'm stupid and lazy, but partly becasue I didn't want to run any customs risks with a £250 insurance value on it...

Speak to your TD, find out if they receive many back from the UK, how long it typically takes and where the risk lies if it gets lost, then go with whatever you feel best with. Also, find out where you're posting it to first as if it is an office building it might have a better chance of getting there than to a residential address...

Good luck.