• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Asia Venus 75 Manual

designerpickups

16/10/13
Can someone please explain this movement to me? I spotted one with two subdials (@3 running 0-45 and @9 for 0-60).

I have tried reading through the movements section but having a hard time it.

tr573

Renowned Member
17/10/11
Seagull st-19 chrono. Comes in many flavors, I think the Chinese mechanical watch wiki lists them all.

It's made on the tooling the Venus 75 was made on, which was purchased by seagull. So it's a direct descendant.

Good reliable movement

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Niko

Renowned Member
25/7/06
It's a good movement. The watches that I have had with an St-19 have always run very well.

N.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Lemania-Venus movt.

That movement should outlast anyone! Meant to last and last. So simple, so rugged, and a real accurate workhorse. Now that IS a SOB movement!! There are literally thousands of great pocket watches with those movements!!!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Actually, it's the copy of Lemania 175.

Ah no, it's a copy of the Venus 175, nothing to do with Lemania.
Strictly speaking it's not a copy any longer either as various upgrades have been completed that results in a better movement than the original. These things are bulletproof and a true column wheel chronograph for a stupid low price. Here is a link to a review of my Sea-Gull 1963 featuring this movement. http://horologium.com.au/2013/09/08/hands-on-sea-gull-1963-reissue/

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
So these require manual winding say every 2-3 days?
There is now an auto wind model but I'm yet to see one in a rep. The watches these are used in are manual wind gens anyhow.

tr573

Renowned Member
17/10/11
Ah no, it's a copy of the Venus 175, nothing to do with Lemania.
Strictly speaking it's not a copy any longer either as various upgrades have been completed that results in a better movement than the original. These things are bulletproof and a true column wheel chronograph for a stupid low price. Here is a link to a review of my Sea-Gull 1963 featuring this movement. http://horologium.com.au/2013/09/08/hands-on-sea-gull-1963-reissue/

Not only that, but Seagull bought the movement and original tooling from Venus. Which really makes it more of an evolution of the movement or descendant of it rather than a clone.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Not only that, but Seagull bought the movement and original tooling from Venus. Which really makes it more of an evolution of the movement or descendant of it rather than a clone.
Correct, I phrased that rather badly didn't I? A bit of the history is explained in the review I linked to above. lately I have found myself wearing that watch a lot. If it was water proof it would never be off my wrist as a daily beater.

tr573

Renowned Member
17/10/11
Correct, I phrased that rather badly didn't I? A bit of the history is explained in the review I linked to above. lately I have found myself wearing that watch a lot. If it was water proof it would never be off my wrist as a daily beater.

It is lovely - I'm a big fan of vintage chronographs. The only reason I pointed it out here is that I wanted the OP to understand that it's not like the ETA clones where they've just copied a movement. And this chronograph is probably the best value/quality proposition in the chinese movement industry.