• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP Diver V5 in house

Heisenberg

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/1/11
Received my V5 Diver and also a PAM297 from Toro today. Perfect samples and fast shipping, as always from him.

I am very impressed with the V5 Diver. I have a v4.1 with full Vac mods to compare it with. I will post some pics once I have time. I have had more AP Divers than I'd like to admit - V2, V3, V3.5, V4, V4.1, now V5 - both regular and Vac modded, with multiple samples of some :lol:

• Strap is much improved and is now nearly identical to the gen. Embossings in particular are much crisper, which was a relatively easy to way to distinguish gen from rep before. Not any more. The solitary remaining tell is the shape at the end of the dual grooves which start at the conversion links, while curved is still more flattened than the gen. The flexibility is a little different too, but unless you have both side by side that won't be useful to distinguish them.
  • The bezel screws are just fine, at least on my sample, and are slightly countersunk, although not as much as the gen. Slightly overdrilling the screw holes in the bezel could sink them more, if desired. These screws are something that should be improved in the future from all the factories. Maybe I need to pester Mikey2008 to make some proper AP ROO screws, just as he did for HBB.
  • Case and bezel brushing is clearly superior to the Noob, and looks very comparable to the gen. Case shape is supposed to be better too, although honestly I cannot tell much difference. The case back also is better than the Noob, I think.
  • AR on the crystal and cyclops is now seemingly identical to Noob.
  • Bezel alignment, at least on my sample, is perfect. This was usually not the case on the Noob, but I have not seen enough V5 to know if this is still a common QC issue. As far as the font... well the V4.1 has the correct spacing, but the numerals are foreshortened - I think because the bezel is not quite tall enough. On the V5, the height is now correct but the spacing is a little too wide, looks kind of like the V2. Somewhere half in between would be good :facepalm:
  • Lume is very good. I felt all the previous Noob divers really needed relume of the bezel - particularly the V2 which had none - and the hands and indices would then need to be redone to match. The lume on the V5 is not quite as bright as Vac lume but it is good enough that I no longer see relume as necessary. I entertained the idea of transferring the Vac low beat dial/hands/movement en bloc into the V5 but the lume colors are slightly different so that's not going to happen.
  • Hands and dial are improved from the V4 and look pretty much as good as the Noob. Second hand is straight, on most if not all Noob divers the end segment is slightly deviated, which may or may not be obvious depending on how deviated it is. I found this more noticeable on my Vac pieces with the 2846 low beat movement.

DreambreaX

Renowned Member
26/11/12
just info

GEN bezel lume steel diver and GEN bezel lume FC diver are not the same. the GEN bezel lume at FC diver are definately bigger than the GEn steel diver.

Heisenberg

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/1/11
The V5 prototype photos I saw used the FC Diver bezel, I think. The production watches seem to have scaled it down a bit. I believe the font height is now quite close to the gen, but the spacing is too wide - basically the font is too fat. On the V4/4.1, the spacing was quite close, but the height was too short - basically the font was too squat. As to which is better, not sure either! The V5 bezel ring is clearly taller than the V4/4.1, which allows for taller numerals without touching the top and bottom lips. On the V4/4.1, the shorter bezel doesn't really allow for taller numerals. Now if the V5 maker can just compress the font left to right a bit, it would be almost perfect!

nlnlnlnene

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/10
The V5 prototype photos I saw used the FC Diver bezel, I think. The production watches seem to have scaled it down a bit. I believe the font height is now quite close to the gen, but the spacing is too wide - basically the font is too fat. On the V4/4.1, the spacing was quite close, but the height was too short - basically the font was too squat. As to which is better, not sure either! The V5 bezel ring is clearly taller than the V4/4.1, which allows for taller numerals without touching the top and bottom lips. On the V4/4.1, the shorter bezel doesn't really allow for taller numerals. Now if the V5 maker can just compress the font left to right a bit, it would be almost perfect!

I agree. It's amazing how quickly they got the forged carbon diver right but not the SS diver.

Heisenberg

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/1/11
As promised here are some photos...

The Noob 4.1 has full relume, slightly sunk bezel screws (they were flush on the stock V4.1 I had), and Swiss 2824/2846 conversion for correct low beat sweep, all done by Vac. The V5 has the standard 2824 high beat clone and of course has zero mods. Bezel screws are slightly sunk from the factory. Both seem to have the same date wheel, I compared various numbers and didn't notice any difference; sorry I forgot to sync them for the pictures. Crystals also seem identical in terms of AR and (very slight) elevation over the bezel. AR on the cyclops also appears the same.

The V5 strap is clearly better than the Noob; the Vac 4.1 in the photos has a gen strap attached (anyone know what the white crud that accumulates/glows on the underside is ?) and the V5 embossings are very nearly as good. These embossings are visibly different to the naked eye on Noob versus gen, not so on the V5 versus gen... I'm actually glad the curved groove ends are still flattened on the rep strap, otherwise there would be no way to tell the standard length straps apart!

The v5 caseback screws look better to me and are slightly better sunk within their holes. I like it better than the Noob but not much difference except in macro pics, plus it is the back so it doesn't matter much.

Hard to pick an overall winner here, both are superb and have their own differences compared to the gen. I'll let the photos to the talking.

DSC04008.jpg

DSC04010.jpg

DSC04011.jpg

DSC04019.jpg

Here is a series of four lume shots taken over about 10 minutes, after holding both under Phoenix 14K HQI metal halide lamps for a few seconds... that gives them a nice full charge :) As you can see Vac lume is a slightly different hue - probably closer to gen since I know he uses the good and expensive stuff - and also is a bit more precisely applied and defined. It also is maybe a little stronger at full charge and slightly more durable. But, considering the V5 lume was not applied by hand by a master like Vac at high expense, wow it is incredibly good and for sure qualifies as factory superlume.

DSC04015.jpg

DSC04016.jpg

DSC04017.jpg

DSC04018.jpg

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
Great review Ekovalsky thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone 5 Using TapaTalk2 S???R?I?????

458spider

I'm Pretty Popular
2/3/13
Look at that rwi , look at it and respect it :)
after reading the review, i can take conclusion that pretty much v5 is slightly better than 4.1?
and i think i creating my own hell now on my brain.
:(

Thanks for the review,

DreambreaX

Renowned Member
26/11/12
the bezel lume of v5 is correct to ap diver fc carbon. but i doubt it will be correct to the steel diver. because as i have said before, the GEN on diver steel and GEN on diver fc has different size of the lume number.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Thanks for this review. In the above photos is the V5 the one with the date set to 12?

socialnewyork

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/1/09
Thx 4 taking the time, simply excellent!
Collection:

MODDED

AP ROO Grand Prix V2 FC + GEN Strap + FC Case Imaknockov + Domi ( AR Crystal, AR Cyclops, Lume, Service with added jewels )

AP ROO 57th Street + GEN Strap + No Holes Clasp + Domi ( AR Crystal, AR Cyclops )

AP ROO Montauk Highway V2 + GEN Strap + GEN Clasp + VAC ( AR Crystal, AR Cyclops, Service )

AP ROO Montauk Highway V2 + GEN Strap + No holes Clasp + VAC ( AR Crystal, AR Cyclops )

AP ROO Safari Ultimate Ed + GEN Strap + GEN Clasp + VAC ( AR Crystal, AR Cyclops, Service )

AP ROO Safari Ultimate Ed + GEN Strap XL + No holes Clasp + VAC ( AR Crystal, AR Cyclops, Service )

AP ROO Rubberclad RG Ultimate Ed + GEN Rubber Strap + Mike No Holes RG Clasp + VAC ( AR Crystal, AR Cyclops, Lume )

AP ROO Rubberclad RG Ultimate Ed + Mike No holes RG Clasp + VAC ( AR Crystal, AR Cyclops )

AP ROO Volcano Ultimate Ed + GEN Strap + No holes Clasp + VAC ( AR Crystal, AR Cyclops )

AP ROO Survivor Ultimate Ltd Ed V2 + VAC ( AR Crystal, AR Cyclops )

AP ROO Chronopassion Ultimate V5 + GEN White Rubber Strap + Mike No holes Bead Clasp + VAC ( AR Crystal, AR Cyclops, Lume, Service )

AP ROO Silver Themes Ultimate Ed + GEN Rubber Strap + No holes Clasp + VAC ( AR Crystal, AR Cyclops )

AP ROO Diver 3.5 Noob Swiss + VAC ( AR Crystal, Lume, Waterproof )

AP ROO Diver 4.1 Noob Swiss + GEN Strap + GEN Buckle

PAM 111n V3 Noob + GEN Canvas Green Strap + VAC ( ETA Y incabloc, Polished winding wheels, No more long SN screw , Brushed train wheels, Polished CP, Square inner CG, Pre V hands )

PAM 177 Ultimate Noob + GEN Calf Montecarlo/Tantalium Strap + VAC ( ETA Y incabloc, Polished winding wheels, No more long SN screw , Brushed train wheels, Polished CP, Square inner CG, Pre V hands )

Rolex 5513 + PT Case + ETA Swiss 2836-2 + InGod Gilt Dial + Tritium Style Vintage Lume + GEN Rolex Crown + Tropic19 Superdome Crystal + Raffles Rivet Bracelet + DONERIX ( aged and softened case with reamed lug holes, faded insert with aged pearl + aged hands and dial ) + GEN Submariner Box ref. 68.00.2

FRANKEN

Rolex Submariner 16610 WM9 V3 + Swiss 2836 ETA + GEN Bezel Insert + GEN Pearl + GEN Crown + GEN Tube + GEN Crystal + GEN 93250 Clasp + GEN 93150 Divers Extension + TC V3 Bracelet Links + GEN Bezel Click Spring + GEN Box with Submariner Papers

GEN

Audemars Piguet ROO “The Legacyâ€

Audemars Piguet ROO Carbon "Bumble Bee"

Rolex Datejust II 116300 White Stick Dial

Rolex Datejust 116200 Blue Concentric Dial

Rolex Submariner 16610 LV M Series

Hublot Big Bang King Power F1 Rose Gold

Hublot Big Bang King Power Red Magic

WANTED

AP ROO Terminator T3 Titanium ( any dial color )