• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My new Explorer II

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13
Hey all,

Relatively new here, having purchased just a few reps. So, I just received my first Rolex rep, the Explorer II, that is so popular here.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Rolex, but after seeing this watch and reading MANY reviews, I figured " if I'm only going to get one Rolex, it's going to be this one". Here is my mixed review:

Once I decided to purchase one of these, I started asking around, starting with Marvelous, who is my go-to guy. He was out and so were a few others I checked with until, finally, Puretime said they had one. I sent payment and waited. After a few days I got this email:

"We are sincerely sorry to inform of you that this watch you order is not in stock now - Explorer II 42mm 216570 1:1 Noob Best Edition White Dial (Asian 2836 25J automatic movement at 28800vph) Kindly inform you that we have this watch with 3187. Would you want?"

I replied yes. They asked that I send an additional 110.00, which I did (with some hesitation).

Anyway, waited about 10 days and the watch finally arrived. First impression was "wow", what a beauty. I took it to my local watch guy to take a link out of the bracelet, and this thing fits and feels great. My only problem with this watch is the movement. When winding and setting date and time the movement feels a bit "sticky" or "dirty" (That's the best I can do to describe it).
I've read here that many of these reps ship with really dirty movements and need service immediately. I'm open to this if someone can advise a good repair guy in the CONUS.
Overall, really like this watch and have already gotten a couple of compliments. The sticky movement is the only drawback.

Here are a few pictures:

Open to any suggestions, opinions. Thanks!

Sam1977

I'm Pretty Popular
17/6/13
Looks good, now screw the crown in and wear it in good health! :beer:

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

live1

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
25/3/13
beautiful love the white

Tonyy

Renowned Member
3/7/13
Nice pickup! I'm really wanting to get this model now. Bought a black one awhile back but wish I went with white.

Your comment about the dirty/sticky setting doesn't surprise me. Almost all the reps I've serviced have some seriously yucky movements. Whether it's dirt, dust, or debris.. I've seen it in there.

If you need servicing or someone to clean it up, check out my sig. I'd be happy to help out. :)

John71

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
23/3/12
Very nice watch... I've always wanted to pull the trigger on this one

carlton

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/10/11
Nice watch, congrats and wear it well. :thumbsup:

I suggest you to buy a set of screwdrivers so that in future you will be able to do those simple work like resizing a bracelet and changing strap yourself. You can take a look at Watchbitz who is a TD here, they have good quality tools in great price.

As for the movement, I guess what you mean is feeling rough. Yes, most movement from rep maker are come like this but I will just leave it as it is if the movement is working fine without any issue.

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
Nice watch, good choice, especially for your first.

In regards to the movement, if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. If and/or when the time comes to service it, then send it to one of the talented and trusted RWI watchmakers. Until that time, just enjoy it.

justlounging

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/10
Nice pickup! I'm really wanting to get this model now. Bought a black one awhile back but wish I went with white.

Your comment about the dirty/sticky setting doesn't surprise me. Almost all the reps I've serviced have some seriously yucky movements. Whether it's dirt, dust, or debris.. I've seen it in there.

If you need servicing or someone to clean it up, check out my sig. I'd be happy to help out. :)

Hi Tony,

Are you ok with movement swaps for PAMs?

To OP: sorry to hijack this thread slightly. Great pickup! :cheers:

ianm

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/10
Send Tony a PM. Much easier and the correct way to go.
OP, enjoy the Explorer. Good choice.

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13
Nice watch, congrats and wear it well. :thumbsup:

I suggest you to buy a set of screwdrivers so that in future you will be able to do those simple work like resizing a bracelet and changing strap yourself. You can take a look at Watchbitz who is a TD here, they have good quality tools in great price.

Carlton, thanks - I think I'll do that as I've taken every rep I've purchased so far to this guy. Can't be that hard to do.

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13

Tonyy - I'll send you PM soon about possible service.
This white one one really pops!
My only other regret was paying the extra 110.00 for the 3187 movement, which, as I understand it, is just the 2836 movement modded to look more like Rolex movement. But I'm probably one of those guys who will NEVER take the watch apart or show movement to anyone so probably a waste of money. But that's OK, still awesome watch.