• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Americas cup

mike 8

Legendary Member
13/8/11
One of the best cups this mariner has seen.
I wonder if we will see AC72 again
As exciting as they are, they are very expensive
and if more teams are going to compete,
costs need to be reeled in.
I would also like to see a nationality rule.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Historical stuff on the bay..Congrats to Team Oracle.

dtom

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/9/12
Isn't this a case of "My New Zealanders can beat your New Zealanders any day". I read there was only one US guy on Oracle and the rest were Kiwis and Aussies. Is that true? If so, what is the point? I miss the old cup where gentlemen went out and cheated like hell to win for their country's pride- but at least they were from that country. Still, congrats to Team Oracle.

mike 8

Legendary Member
13/8/11
Isn't this a case of "My New Zealanders can beat your New Zealanders any day". I read there was only one US guy on Oracle and the rest were Kiwis and Aussies. Is that true? If so, what is the point? I miss the old cup where gentlemen went out and cheated like hell to win for their country's pride- but at least they were from that country. Still, congrats to Team Oracle.

That is true, only 1 Yank on Oracle
Hired guns, that's why a nationality rule is needed

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
We made most of oracles boat too.a nationality thing is not a bad idea or maybe 60/40 deal.like all sports there will always be imports coming and going.with regard to the cup I think a budget cap would get a lot More nations involved and maybe appeal to more people

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Here's a thought, go get a sponsor and hire your crew from your own town and preach it. ;) This sport is all about the corporations anyway. Otherwise they wouldn't call it team Oracle. Or Target Field. Or .... I really don't give a crap where they are from, they won! Congrats.

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Very cool comeback and one of the best in history. I've been sailing all my life so I'm a big fan.

Does anyone know more about the penalty that Team USA had? I read that the judges discovered a kevlar bag filled with lead shot, which was hidden inside the mast or something. What the hell were they doing with a bag of lead shot? Were they counterweighting or something?

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
Very cool comeback and one of the best in history. I've been sailing all my life so I'm a big fan.

Does anyone know more about the penalty that Team USA had? I read that the judges discovered a kevlar bag filled with lead shot, which was hidden inside the mast or something. What the hell were they doing with a bag of lead shot? Were they counterweighting or something?

5kgs of lead which was a ballast adjustment.the word is that if they had lost,the penalty they copped would have been contested in court.