• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Angus/HFAC FC Diver Mosh Up

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
nqt0.jpg

Ingedients for this FC Diver Mosh Up:

Start with:
1.) H-FAC case, bezel, tach ring, and links.
Add a little:
2.) Domi double-AR crystal
Put in some:
3. Angus/PT dial, crown and case back.
Finish off with:
4.) Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement (the genuine ETA movement was already in the Angus/PT FC Diver, although this was not really advertised or expected).

Consider this mosh up a best-of-breed at this point (no it is not for sale).
I simply post this to encourage others to follow, because there is a fairly unproblematic parts compatability here between H-FAC and Angus/PT.
I will not go into the little tidbits of which version is superior to the other version in which respects, but I have to say I was thankful to whatever supply-chain luck gave me a genuine Swiss ETA 2824-2 in the Angus/PT version. The ONLY thing that can be improved is the cyclops AR, which is pretty bad on both versions. Other than that, I am a happy camper, and have already swapped in a BumbleBee strap for the rubber.

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
Let's see it on the bumblebee strap :popcorn: is it Oem

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Thanks.
Some tidbits:
1.) There are no rubber gaskets under the bezel screws of the HFAC Diver.
2.) The link mounting systems for each watch are entirely different: Angus/PT has the ROO-type screws, and the HFAC has a large bar-and-cap that goes through the head. (My impression is that the HFAC is more durable for strap swapping, as the threads in the holes of the the Angus/PT FC will eventually strip soon). Also, the screw heads for the HFAC are noticeably larger.
3.) Case-back is better engraved on Angus/PT.
4.) Crown printing is better on Angus/PT (the HFAC engraving is shallow and off-venter).
5.) The tach ring on the HFAC is awesome, very gen-like. It totally slays the Angus/PT, which has smaller printing and more faded yellow (even the 12 o'clock triangle is more true to gen on HFAC).
6.) The dial is better on the Angus/PT--it has better forms.
7.) The bezels are about the same in both instances.
8.) The crystal pops from inside to outside, and the Domi crystal is a little thicker than the rep crystal. (Fits very well).
9.) There were assembly errors with the HFAC (misplaced gaskets, sloppy greasing), the Angus/PT was better assembled.
10.) On both watches, the cyclops AR is very bad.
11.) HFAC case has very good FC patterning.
12.) The two watches reveal alot of comparabilities and swaps between them should not be much of a problem.

RWI650

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
22/7/13
what strap is this bro with yellow stitching?

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
Cheers mate, would look good on a Oem hornback bumblebee strap:hehehe:

That's said, bastard build looks fantastic:thumbsup:

Xtian

Renowned Member
13/4/12
:jaw: you my friend just raised the bar! So based on your review, an HFac is a good starter for someone like me currently not in a position to do exactly what you did but somewhere in time(pun intended):thumbsup:.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
HFAC is a good starter as it gives you a well-designed FC case. But maybe Angus/PT will have a trick up his sleeve with the V3 FC Diver from PT. Quick and dirty modding, you can just double AR the crystal and cyclops and call it a day. The other stuff is just icing on the cake.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Now I need to figure out what to do with the leftover Angus case. Maybe a "Las Vegas Diver":

hg9q.jpg

:hehehe:

jpohl402

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/7/12
Excellent info here, and now you have a great watch :thumbsup:
I wouldnt have done it any other way myself (i.e. just like you did!)

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Thanks.
Edgematic published a critical review of HFAC Diver on RG that helped pave the way.
One other thing I want to mention: the movement tabs in the Diver are VERY close to the rotor wheel. There was one point in reassembly where the tab was rubbing against the rotor and keeping it from spinning, so I had to shave the tab a little. We are talking fractions of a mm clearance here. If anyone has problems with charging the reserve while on the wrist, I would check the clearance of the tabs with the rotor.
Also, concerning the way the links are attached to the Angus/PT: it is possible to convert the existing shoddy screw system to a more solid bar and cap system by drilling a hole clear through from one side to the other of the case. I did that already. It is much better if you want to be able to remove the links for strap swapping.

gtanak

I'm Pretty Popular
24/5/10
Amazing work and this post is a definitive guide to anyone AP aspiring for that perfect FC diver.. Great work

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Great post.....enjoy your watch

I think this is the real deal

Noob dial,datewheel
H case and tachyring
Angus fc diver hands and caseback.
Domis diver crystal and cyclop

I do not have it but someone has....
working on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Guru: nice! You have the cyclops AR as well. That is the only thing I do not have yet.
Combining different parts from different versions gives one a better end-result.