• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New BKLM 16610 LN offering *discussion thread*

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
I've not seen another thread about this piece so though it best to start a new one rather than mucking up the sales thread.

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=158303

So from what I can see

TC parts include case set, crown, tube, bezel assembly, dial and hands.

Changes are Clark or Tw crystal, BK DWO and TW insert with modded pearl. And of course gen Swiss movement.

Personally given TC s dedication to creating the perfect sub I think this is actually a step backward.

Comments?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
Why is it a step backwards ?

It is the best of both worlds. TCs parts are the best, however the crystal is a weak point with the Cyclops being a tad too strong and over magnifies.

The TC dwo v3 is nice as far as printing goes but IMHO the BK one still centers better. Can anyone post 6 dates from their TC where all numbers are centered ? I can post the BK dwo in my TC sub.

Also, I am not certain he is using a TC dial, when I looked at the thread, the dial may have been his custom superlumed dial, both are good, BKs I think is a tad better, 6,9,12 markers having a thicker rim, round markers having a thin rim, this is more gen like. Again the dials are too close to make a huge difference though.

Lastly, BK has a gen ETA again, TC does not and I think BK may be the only source where you are going to get a gen ETA.

As for inserts, as far as I know, TC still does not have an insert though his last few threads, I see what appears to be a rep insert that looks gen...time will tell. Besides the pearl on BKs, the TW insert is excellent.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
I personally think TCs DWO v3 is miles ahead of BKs. Given the review of TCs superclone 2824 it really doesn't need the upgrade to Swiss and the tw pearl even with epoxy mod looks pretty bad. Would be better offering a WM pearl upgrade.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

rsh

3/4/10
WM pearls are too hit and miss, some have real dark lume material, looks greyish often. Someone will come up with a better pearl sooner or later, maybe TC.

I for one like gen ETA if I can get one.

I had a TC dwo, I could not center the damn thing.....does it center better than the bk ?

Here is a pic from the French forum, looks left of center

P1330446_zpsdb51cf03.jpg

emdeevee

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/13
Southern California
Hard to actually call this a step backwards! Here is an expertly assembled Sub, using TC's close-to-perfect parts, BK's DWO (which always is centered and looks perfect, IMO), a Swiss ETA (even if not really much better than TC's clone, is still going to maintain a better value on the watch), and last but not least, for those of us who are way too afraid to open up our watches, we've got one of the best Sub builders doing it. Seems to be the "best" sub for purchase out of the box.

rols16610

20/4/12
I saw this when it was posted the other day by BK.

Not sure which is best to be honest, just some thoughts.

BK plus points.

1. Gen ETA
2. Clark's crystal
3. BK date wheel

Minus points

1. The insert and pearl ( not an issue if you go gen)

TC plus points.

1. New TC insert. ( may not need gen depending how good it is)
2. TC date wheel V3
3. New TC 2824 clone movement.

TC minus point.

1. The crystal, Clark's looks better when installed.

It really is quite a tough one to choose between the two.

I would be interested in a new TC 16610 LV if he releases one with an insert, the only mod I would have done if his new insert is good is to get a Clark's crystal installed.

RWI650

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
22/7/13
guys one thing I wanted to get clarification on. BK mentions how his case which is a TC case, accepts gen bezel assembly. I was under the impression that TC sub doesnt take gen bezel assembly, but you can mount gen bezel insert in TC bezel assembly.

rols16610

20/4/12
guys one thing I wanted to get clarification on. BK mentions how his case which is a TC case, accepts gen bezel assembly. I was under the impression that TC sub doesnt take gen bezel assembly, but you can mount gen bezel insert in TC bezel assembly.

The TC will take a gen bezel assembly I think, from what I read on his blog previously. I am pretty sure the TC case is gen construction.

sanankid

I'm Pretty Popular
18/6/11
To is gen construction but with tc having anew offering eventually I will wait

watchman12345

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/06
I am not sold on this. It needs a gen insert, and your looking at close to $1000 after that.

With the quality of reps now I personally wouldn't spend that kind of money on it.

mrtoulouse

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/5/13
Also, I am not certain he is using a TC dial, when I looked at the thread, the dial may have been his custom superlumed dial, both are good, BKs I think is a tad better, 6,9,12 markers having a thicker rim, round markers having a thin rim, this is more gen like. Again the dials are too close to make a huge difference though.

I'm afraid this is not the case. The pictures where this is evident in BK's sales-thread, are the close-ups of the pearl, and those are the same pictures as his TW offering. You can also see this by the not so deep rehaut, which was characteristical for the V1 case. Also the lume is whiter in tone than the TC lume. Actually those pics are very bad examples of PBdad's otherwise excellent lume skills as it drips badly :goat:

But man - those BK dials were awesome. And as you point out the thicker 6 - 9 and 12 rims are a big issue. IMHO one of the biggest issues with the otherwise outstanding TC. TC's dials are great in all other aspects - even has the little countersink in the middle around the pinion. BUT those damn marker rims just make for a wrong look when looking directly at the watch - and this is the angle form which you and others will see it the most :( Gen has very rounded and quite thick rims on the 6- 9 and 12, and esp. the 12 marker stands out, as it has that lovely curvature on the inside of the marker where the two sides meet at the point - this creates a dark shadow that just has not been replicated decently on any dial other than the old WM9, BKs and the noob LN.

fum8.jpg

NOW the interesting thing is that I just recieved a modded TC LN, which has a dial form the very first batch of TCs. And this one DOES have the thicker rims - not as thick as gen, but very much on par with the noob. Maybe BK has sourced these, as it DOES seem in the other pics in his thread that the rims at least are miles better than the new TC dials. The new ones are just rough in the surface and extremely thin, which also makes for light-reflection to be broken in many spots, again adding to the wrongness of the look.

As for the case, it would be even more awesome if BK did a slight polish to the adges, as these can be sharp, and re-brushed the lugs. This should be a walk in the park for someone as highly skilled as BK. I am still amazed by the amazing and CONSISTENT top-level workmanship he applied to the TW offering - those crownguards were just done to perfection.

My newly received TC has had the case polished by a guy who has polished for a Rolex AD for many years, and the lugs re-brushed by the same guy. And let me tell you. The already amazing V4 case now both looks and FEELS exactly like a new gen. It is uncanny. Just goes to show that this is THE case to have. I have a gen and this one feels just the same.

But man - we are getting really really close to the perfect sub - to the point where gen is starting to not make that much sense :D

All knit-picking aside this is a great deal, and I wish BK all the good luck with these in the world. I hope he will consider using his own dial, or even something as simple as a Noob dial with a re-lume - the noob is still one of the greatest dials made - also in regards to print height.

:cheers:

mrtoulouse

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/5/13
Oh and as for the datewheels - I have the V3, and the BK still wins hands down. Unless you have an AR'd cyclops NO-one will see the raised print of the TC anyhow. The TC still has too thick a font as well as not being centered. It just fills the window too much.

thefinger

11/2/13
Well, has anyone other than me actually pulled the trigger on one of these bad boys yet? I've been hemming and hawing for a couple months trying to decide on a high end rep, and this BK just spoke to me. Sent payment this morning, so hoping to have one in my hands within the next week or two.

I'm by no means an expert, but how can you go wrong with this watch? TC parts, gen ETA, and BK's craftsmanship... Just seems like a recipe for success. Now, I may swap the bezel insert for gen down the road, but that still put me in it for under a grand and I'm okay with that for such great quality.

rsh

3/4/10
mrtoulouse
I would not consider a noob dial at all, the date window is too cramped and smaller than it should be, TC, BK have the better date window.

I am not sure which dial he is using but yes I do see now in the pics perhaps the pearl pic was taken from old stock when his TW sub had the custom dials.

We are really nitpicking this but that is what we do.

One more thing, if you have less patience and want a better experience, BK is the man. He will reply and you will get a watch sooner. TCs will save you some cash though that can be applied towards an insert.

mrtoulouse

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/5/13
mrtoulouse
I would not consider a noob dial at all, the date window is too cramped and smaller than it should be, TC, BK have the better date window.

Wow, you're right. NEVER noticed that before - and I have even had several subs with noob dials :woot:.

But time will tell how these markers are - i know BK put a lot of focus on the rims when he had his custom dial manufactured, so hopefully this lust for perfection will be visible on this offering too, so he has sourced some good dials.

I for one think the price on this offering is VERY good. Sure it needs a gen insert, but they ALL do. I will be willing to pay extra for gen ETA any day of the week, and BKs fingers are priceless. You just know this will be a great watch, and consistent through each and every order.

Thank you BK :thumbsup:

live1

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
25/3/13
how much is bk selling this for ?

rols16610

20/4/12
I think we can expect some sort of announcement from TC soon on his new watches, he has a placeholder on site site with the title 'Classic Submariner 16610 & 16610LV Watches', the link doesn't work as yet.