• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any modder to help with DWO and dial spacer?

civic4982

Renowned Member
11/9/11
I recently installed a Polex Pete DWO Silver DWO to my otherwise functioning perfectly 2846 ETA movement on a GWSD 1665 build.

I completely removed the old DWO and placed the new DWO onto the date wheel itself. On exam they look to be both quite paper thin.

I'm having 2 problems currently and could really use your help.

1) DWO rubs on the dial. I've tried removing the dial spacer and reinstalling it and still no luck.

It works fine without the dial on but snags when dial is installed.

Tried installing a second spacer bbut that ended up being too tall and too tall for CP/HW.

2) Seems the dial was never installed with any feet. It was held in place with dial dots and that's okay but now I need to somehow find a solution to get the dial affixed again. This is quite difficult on the 2836/46 movements as compared to the 649x because there's no space to put dots.

I'm in CONUS and could use some advice or someone to send this bad boy to to git'er done.

5+ hours has gone by and I'm at my wits I think.

I know Vacuum is quite busy right now with personal issues in his life.

Is there anyone else who can help?

Billio

I'm Pretty Popular
15/4/09
you can try sand down the exisiting date wheel (not the dwo) to reduce the height of the datewheel plus the dwo and maybe try using some bergeon dial feet (you need to glue them on)

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
There are lots of places to put the dial dots if you have the daywheel removed.

And maybe you can shim the dial with scotch tape with a single spacer to gain the desired clearance.....it shouldnt need to be lifted far. or maybe an extra dial dot on the dial to fix the spacer on it.

civic4982

Renowned Member
11/9/11
Both great ideas. I'll try again today or tomorrow

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
I bought a bunch of the correct eta 2836 dial spacers from the CousinsUK a while back. You can hypo cement them to a dial without feet and they are so much better than dial dots.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

civic4982

Renowned Member
11/9/11
Good news!

I got the watch back together and use some dots to space up the spacer just a tad more.

Bad news is that I still have4 a slight delay and a slight dragging of the DWO.

I'll take it apart again maybe in a few weeks but for now it just is sluggish on the changeover. I'm okay with that for now.

Since I'm having it relumed anyways (dunno by whom yet so any suggestions appreciated) I'll probably just leave it as is for right now.

Thanks to all you experts who made suggestions.

I need to find someone to relume this watch and maybe figure out the date wheel rubbing issue with another attempt at bringing that gap up. It does fine outside the case but once inside it compresses down my dial dots that are being used as extra spacers and crushes them unfortunately.

Anyways, who wants to take this task on ;) ???

civic4982

Renowned Member
11/9/11
DSC09781.JPG

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Nice looker there !

Maybe you can try to flatten out your movement tabs/clamps so they dont compress the dial dots so much. Or maybe just an extra dial dot for shimmage.

civic4982

Renowned Member
11/9/11
Nice looker there !

Maybe you can try to flatten out your movement tabs/clamps so they dont compress the dial dots so much. Or maybe just an extra dial dot for shimmage.

Both are good ideas thanks.

I had planned on more dial dots and currently the clamps put very little pressure.

Appreciate the recommendations though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Just thought of this......build up the existing spacer with JB Weld and sand it to the correct thickness.

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
I sanded down the eta DW and the GS Hypo'd the DWO on. Removed a good amount of paint and metal and permitted an easier dial install.

civic4982

Renowned Member
11/9/11
I sanded down the eta DW and the GS Hypo'd the DWO on. Removed a good amount of paint and metal and permitted an easier dial install.

I'm going to have to do this instead. will be a PITA but I think it's the right way to get the clearance I want.

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I'm going to have to do this instead. will be a PITA but I think it's the right way to get the clearance I want.

Before you start sanding, do you think you might be able to measure the thickness of the Polexpete DWO and also the stock date wheel and also the thickness of the old DWO if you still have it. Please

Im very interested in how this turns out !