• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Evolution of your favourite pieces

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

In this addictive hobby, I've found that even after I get a watch that I like, there's an itch for a newer and better one all the time. I don't think I've gone totally crazy yet, but I'm getting there.

I just wanted to find out about how people have started and upgraded their favourite pieces, and the costs involved in doing so.

Panerai Pre-V 5218-201a (Total $905 after selling 1)
1j0f.jpg

Watch 1: $400 "Classic" DSN version with Swiss 6497 movement. Sold for $225 after movement transplant.
Watch 2: $230 "Newborn" DSN version originally with Asian movement, but had a movement transplant to upgrade to Swiss. Still have it.
Watch 3: $500 Noob 111J case, C3 Crystal, FGD Dial, Newborn DSN hands and Crown. Goin CG. Still needs a movement transplant from Watch 2.
Future: Hopefully nothing! After a swiss transplant, I think Watch 3 will be perfect. For now.

Rolex 16610LV Sub (Total $854 still have all 3)
yads.jpg

Watch 1: $159 taiwanese maker version with A2836. Kinda buggered the bezel on my first attempt to change the insert. Collecting dust.
Watch 2: $160 Noobmariner with Swiss ETA. Was going to sell it, but realized it was scratched up and missing an O-Ring. Ended up buying another noob case for $40 with CG and rehaut already shaved. Need to do a case transplant.
Watch 3: $495 TC Sub LV. Decided to bite the bullet and purchase a TC to see what all the buzz is about. Got tracking info a week ago from USPS, but I don't think it's been physically dropped off to USPS yet. :frusty:
Future: $50ish for a decent LV insert. Haven't decided yet.

Omega 42mm Planet Ocean (Total $680 still have both)
6mje.jpg

Watch 1: $260 v4 pumpkin with Swiss ETA. Bought a replacement insert for $20 when the first one lost the pearl. Love this watch.
Watch 2: $400 v4 head only franken. Gen Dial and Hands. Swiss ETA serviced by Ziggy. Just bought it this week and expecting it soon.
Future: Purchase a v5 case with orange bezel (or a 21j v5 watch and do a transplant) and gen crown/tube. Probably spend another $100-$125 on it.

Most of my other watches haven't evolved at all yet. That may change if better reps come out. :facepalm:

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
Dat shi cray.
I hope better reps come along. I still am happy with what we have.

D

d4m.test

lol, yes it is crazy. I'm hoping I have some people post here that are crazier than I am so I don't feel so bad about my spending. :thud:

smokiedabong

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/8/12
You're not the only one, my rep spending so far this year was over $3000 but the total value of the rep watches gathered this year is maybe under $2000. last year was even worse. Recently I also spent almost $200 only for Pam hands trying to find the perfect set for a project I have, still haven't found them so the spending for those hands isn't over yet. Not to mention the big amount of various parts, lume etc. bought for all kind of projects that are wasted or never get to be used.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Wear and toss. I have no desire to spend funds putting lipstick on pigs.

D

d4m.test

Lmao. Besides, this is the only hobby where you can still scrape the lipstick off the pig and sell it again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

D

d4m.test

Wear and toss. I have no desire to spend funds putting lipstick on pigs.

I just realized something. In this context of not wanting to put lipstick on a pig, you're still choosing to be with the pig though. You are just choosing to be with the pig "Au Naturel" by wearing reps that haven't been upgraded.

At least Smokie and I are dressing our pigs up before we go out with them. :p

D

d4m.test

What makes me more insane is that I've been wearing a $99 quartz Monaco all weekend and loving it. Can't believe I have a $500 sub and $400 franken omega in the mail. :facepalm:

tu8yje6a.jpg

Dowbs

I'm Pretty Popular
7/2/13
What makes me more insane is that I've been wearing a $99 quartz Monaco all weekend and loving it. Can't believe I have a $500 sub and $400 franken omega in the mail. :facepalm:

tu8yje6a.jpg

OT but: RR Coop Speedway? Haven't been there in years, if so.

D

d4m.test

Lol yup! They have certain days when anyone from the public can come and race, or if you have a big enough group you can pick your own date & time. Lots of fun!

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
I just realized something. In this context of not wanting to put lipstick on a pig, you're still choosing to be with the pig though. You are just choosing to be with the pig "Au Naturel" by wearing reps that haven't been upgraded.

At least Smokie and I are dressing our pigs up before we go out with them. :p

:rofl:

JackP

Renowned Member
21/3/13
In this addictive hobby, I've found that even after I get a watch that I like, there's an itch for a newer and better one all the time. I don't think I've gone totally crazy yet, but I'm getting there.

I just wanted to find out about how people have started and upgraded their favourite pieces, and the costs involved in doing so.

Panerai Pre-V 5218-201a (Total $905 after selling 1)
1j0f.jpg

Watch 1: $400 "Classic" DSN version with Swiss 6497 movement. Sold for $225 after movement transplant.
Watch 2: $230 "Newborn" DSN version originally with Asian movement, but had a movement transplant to upgrade to Swiss. Still have it.
Watch 3: $500 Noob 111J case, C3 Crystal, FGD Dial, Newborn DSN hands and Crown. Goin CG. Still needs a movement transplant from Watch 2.
Future: Hopefully nothing! After a swiss transplant, I think Watch 3 will be perfect. For now.

Rolex 16610LV Sub (Total $854 still have all 3)
yads.jpg

Watch 1: $159 taiwanese maker version with A2836. Kinda buggered the bezel on my first attempt to change the insert. Collecting dust.
Watch 2: $160 Noobmariner with Swiss ETA. Was going to sell it, but realized it was scratched up and missing an O-Ring. Ended up buying another noob case for $40 with CG and rehaut already shaved. Need to do a case transplant.
Watch 3: $495 TC Sub LV. Decided to bite the bullet and purchase a TC to see what all the buzz is about. Got tracking info a week ago from USPS, but I don't think it's been physically dropped off to USPS yet. :frusty:
Future: $50ish for a decent LV insert. Haven't decided yet.

Omega 42mm Planet Ocean (Total $680 still have both)
6mje.jpg

Watch 1: $260 v4 pumpkin with Swiss ETA. Bought a replacement insert for $20 when the first one lost the pearl. Love this watch.
Watch 2: $400 v4 head only franken. Gen Dial and Hands. Swiss ETA serviced by Ziggy. Just bought it this week and expecting it soon.
Future: Purchase a v5 case with orange bezel (or a 21j v5 watch and do a transplant) and gen crown/tube. Probably spend another $100-$125 on it.

Most of my other watches haven't evolved at all yet. That may change if better reps come out. :facepalm:

I have a Jones to upgrade to the newest best. I am too lazy to sell for now but will do so to upgrade. This insanity is no different than my car addiction. God help us all

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
I'm not even going to post my shat....I've spent over a grand on one watch and I just did a TCLN built that cost me $910!:facepalm: