• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Issue with KW Pam505 movement

Joshuafeng

Horology Curious
21/2/13
First of all, I think the watch is brilliant. All very good.

The only issue I have and not sure if it is really an issue: the sound of the movement is a bit loud. I mean when you move or shake the watch, the sound of the movement.

I am not sure if the real watch has the same level of sound? Does anyone have clue on this?

sergiiko

22/4/13
USA
Yes, I have the same issue, and everybody should have. I think genuine does not have this sound.

fortis Persicum

I'm Pretty Popular
24/2/13
The real one cost a crap load more....so does it really matter...not so much. Enjoy your watch

kayabun

25/11/11
Sound is loud but unless you work in a library it's hardly audible :)

Joshuafeng

Horology Curious
21/2/13
That's the exact reason that I prefer 6492 movement watches. 292 for example.

Pacomo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/4/12
Obviously not an expert here, but acording to physics laws, sound is just a part of the energy generated by "the problem". That sound comming from the watch means that there's friction, friction means heat and vibrations... not good at all for any mechanical device.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Dear friends
The movement doesn't sound
It is just the rotor of the automatic winding that sounds.
In gen is a bit more controlled and better oiled and sound is weaker. But it sounds too. But you are talking about a stuff which cost about 30-40 times the price of the rep.
You can visit a friend watchsmith to get oiled the central bearing of the rotor with a little bit of watch oil. You will improve a little the sound

ALE

Joshuafeng

Horology Curious
21/2/13
Dear friends
The movement doesn't sound
It is just the rotor of the automatic winding that sounds.
In gen is a bit more controlled and better oiled and sound is weaker. But it sounds too. But you are talking about a stuff which cost about 30-40 times the price of the rep.
You can visit a friend watchsmith to get oiled the central bearing of the rotor with a little bit of watch oil. You will improve a little the sound

ALE

Thanks a lot!

gvln

Renowned Member
22/11/11
my local watchsmith says that oiling is not enough, the matter is in movt, and the rotor should be a bit thinner. otherwise the rotor always touches some part of movt's body and makes noise

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
my local watchsmith says that oiling is not enough, the matter is in movt, and the rotor should be a bit thinner. otherwise the rotor always touches some part of movt's body and makes noise

That can be a isolated case.
Usually rotor will not touch either the movement or the caseback.
Please remove the caseback and check if the sound persists. If the sound persists rotor is touching caseback in some little point. Try to see what is this point and maybe you can fix the caseback problem with a file or Dremel.
If the rotor is touching the movement this will be more serious because maybe the bearing has a gap or it is wrong assembled. If the contact is a very little point you could try to fix it with some experience.

ALE

iteja

Looking Around
14/8/13
I just got my first order from Ryan and it was a pam 505. I have a problem, the watch is kinda lagging every 5 - 10 min and i have also hand wound it. I am getting a little worried how, could some one tell me if there is anything I can do or is there is defect in the mechanism ?

Joshuafeng

Horology Curious
21/2/13

I got the same answer.

chris9

I'm Pretty Popular
16/5/12
Mine 505 was DOA, rotor worked and was quiet but movement dead!

Klaus

Horology Curious
12/12/12
Lol it's probably because of the stupid glued on movement plates