• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

KW PAM 505 - Great Watch but Strap change could be the greatest flaw

kayabun

25/11/11
No need to comment on the pros but please change straps at your own risk. There is a possibly of ruining your watch.

Mine may be an isolated case but I hope this js useful information for you guys. I was super careful in every step but maybe just unlucky.

Will let pics do the talking.

Screw removed. Seems like its Half coated and had some glue on the threads making it hard to remove and put back.
asure2y5.jpg
ehanaqam.jpg

Coating to threads of the SS case (yellow) might have been the cause of making screwing back the screws a real hit or miss.
e3u7u8aq.jpg

Good Fit when screwing back
yvusehu8.jpg

Bad fit. Maybe internal threads thrashed during removal process.... I got a gut feeling even with new screws it may not help. While screwing back felt like the case threads had problems.
y2yqejyp.jpg

Should I let this go at a great price and get a new one ? :)

Oh well ... its a great watch. Hope the 388 is much better since its just pure SS and no coating.

Cheers!

Joshuafeng

Horology Curious
21/2/13
I think the sound is a bit too loud... when you move the watch, the sound of the movement.

Does the real watch have the same level of sound for its movement?

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
that's what is exactly my problem - too soft internal threads in case set corners! It is yellow material (brass?) so my initial idea that KW got the case more brown by selecting not stainless steel but some yellow material might be true. For a sake of color - nice trick; for the safety of threading - wrong!!

mykeos

29/3/12
Changing straps on radiomirs is always a PITA.Especially on coated models. Screws or lugs usually strach easily. How is the lug coating on this particular rep?

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Radiomir strap changes are really a headache even in gen.
Mehmet (KW owner) told me that his Gen PAM 505 bought for the replication was soon full of scratches in screws and marks in case disassembling and assembling the strap.

I don't think that KW has used Brass for the case of PAM 505 to get good colour.
Otherwise, I can guess that the brown DLC coating, which cannot achieve all corners and inner parts, has coloured yellowish the inner part of the threads (this is only a possibility)
I have consulted directly KW about this matter and I hope to get an answer soon

ALE

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
kayabun and Polonus
Li of KW has told me that will send you new screws. I don't know if he is talking to kayabum or Polonus or both
Please contact directly Li in e-mail : [email protected]
Please tell him ALE is sending you.

I have get another PAM 505 and a PAM 388 to study more carefully this matter. We will see

ALE

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
Mail sent, I hope it is just screws' problem, not case's one...

iPad/Tapatalk HD

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
Does KW use some kind of thread locking liquid when they assemble these? If so, maybe it's the wrong type or too much?

kayabun

25/11/11
Does KW use some kind of thread locking liquid when they assemble these? If so, maybe it's the wrong type or too much?

I think maybe the case with screws and lugs all DLC together that's why screws is half colored. Or maybe it's not DLC but case soaked in a type of paint that flowed into the screws :)