• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Don't buy this 1:1 ultimate version

machiavegli

7/11/11
Hi all,

Only TODAY I realized that after buying reps for about 10 years, and in quantity for the last 5 or so, I may have learned something.

So, I thought I'd share the best thing I've learned.

For the love of God, do NOT drop cash on the latest 1:1, ultimate version, made-from-dissection-of-genuine-sample rep UNTIL you have had a chance to wear a similar watch around town, yourself.

How I did this right and saved myself $1000:

Example 1: I was positive that I loved Tourbillon Movements -- WRONG.

So, I was so sure that I was a Tourbillon guy that I spent hours devouring posts like this
http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=36615
by BigDee62 (haven't seen him around much lately, but a great read nonetheless)

I even spent time watching YouTube vids of these beauties like this by skathewatch
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUCkM7p4y0A"]Jaeger LeCoultre Master Tourbillon Replica. - YouTube[/ame]

... but I still wasn't sure. Even my "dress watches" are pretty laid back in comparison.

So, I bought a cheapo fake tourbillon rep (basically a 3 prong fan moving clockwise at the base of the dial) from Mary at WI, about $100 (instead of $700+ for working tourby). I wore it around the house. It looked like this:

(pic borrowed from non-AD website)
I tried to convince myself that I could wear my newly purchased rep tourby around town or to work, and HELL NO. I could not pull it off. Even a fake non-functional tourby made me feel like I was trying to be a pimp. If I had worn it to work, I would have stood out like Lady Gaga at a Phish concert. And mind you, that's with a FAKE tourbillon, not a real one with 600 moving parts and a lot more intricate movement action to stare at.

So, YAY I bought the cheapie first!

EXAMPLE 2: I was sure that I loved Panerai diver watches -- WRONG

There is way too much good information on the forums about PAMs. Damn you, ALE and your guide on RWI.
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/reference-pam-review-107365
I had my eye on a couple of the most popular coffee-can PAM divers out there, and was probably going to get the 187G with 7753 to avoid sunken date wheel issues. This would have been the typical "1:1 replicated from a genuine watch sample, all parts are interchangeable with genuine" super rep, and even got (**) from ALE in its best version.

But I hadn't tried one out myself. Up on M2M showed up a 21J of the PAM 194, inferior in quality but essentially the same size, finish, and strap:

And, I have to say, it wasn't the flaws in the rep that got me. It's just that I'm not a PAM Submersible wearing kind of guy. It really does feel a little like you're strapping on plate-mail body armor to wear this thing. And I love my 7750 Graham Diver which is hardly tiny!

Again, hooray I bought the cheapie first.

So, I happen to live in an upscale suburb of San Diego, CA, where Authorized Dealers are thick on the ground. We have our Officine Panerai, we have AD's for everything from Rolex to AP to Jaeger to Richard Mille to even the obscure ones I love like F. P. Journe, hard to find if you're not in LA, NYC or Switzerland. But even trying on a watch in the AD for 5 minutes doesn't give you a sense if you'd like it. Don't be afraid to buy a second-hand, M2M, twenty-one-jewel low-end replica first before you drop the bills on a perfect replica. Because you just never know!

Cheers,

Mach

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09

That looks familiar! Here we go....

$%28KGrHqJ,%21nYE-ysqZCFBBP75lTkYT%21%7E%7E60_57.JPG

machiavegli

7/11/11
That TIMEX does look eerily familiar, now I'm even MORE glad didn't buy a functional tourbillon instead of 200 latte's from Starbucks

-Mach

joe_chill

I'm Pretty Popular
19/2/12
Wize words and I agree 100%. The beauty with buying reps is that you don´t have to love the watch you been dreaming of.

During high school there was this girl, she was one of the most popular on the school and I dreamed of being with her, but she only dated the coolest dudes. 5 years after high school I actually hooked up with her and found out I didn't like her at all, despite her blone hair, long legs and big boobs (I know, weird, right?). This applies to watches as well. What you been dreaming of, longing for might just end up being a nice dream, nothing more.

redrising

I'm Pretty Popular
23/4/12
Wize words and I agree 100%. The beauty with buying reps is that you don´t have to love the watch you been dreaming of.

During high school there was this girl, she was one of the most popular on the school and I dreamed of being with her, but she only dated the coolest dudes. 5 years after high school I actually hooked up with her and found out I didn't like her at all, despite her blone hair, long legs and big boobs (I know, weird, right?). This applies to watches as well. What you been dreaming of, longing for might just end up being a nice dream, nothing more.

That is so true. Sometime in life, the fun is in the chase and not the destination.

zero_deficit

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/12
It's funny you posted this, because I was thinking that my next purchases should be a tourby or a PAM

Thanks for the insight

FrenchBully

22/6/13
USA
Funny

What's that saying? "Find me hot girl, and I'll show you guy tired of f***ing her."

Show me a nice watch and I'll show you a better one...

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
Mach, this is highly personal. You can't pull of 187 - others can. You bought a fake tourby... it's like you ate a cricket, to know the taste of chicken. Senseless act.
And, if you live in LaJolla - you're welcome to attend our GTG on Aug. 24, you can find thread in appropriate section. There will be a few guys from your area, you can even share a ride.
So, you'll be able to wear and try many, many watches.
;)

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Good call on the GTG invite Luth. ;) OP, follow this advice, you will not regret it.