• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replacing ceramic bezel insert on DSSD and Subs.

lockstock

Supporter
Certified
15/10/10
I need to replace my insert on my BP DSS, as I don't have a soldering iron I tried a local watch repairer, he claimed that by heating it up it will crack the glass. Also said by taking the back off and crown out to waterproof the whole thing will fall apart! Ha ha. Think it will have to be a DIY job!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Um, find a new repairer, your current one is either incompetent or a smartass.

lockstock

Supporter
Certified
15/10/10
Maybe a bit of both! I go on holiday on Sunday and want to get it waterproofed and the insert replaced before then!

lockstock

Supporter
Certified
15/10/10
I changed my bezel, thought all had gone well until I tried to turn the bezel this morning. Glue must have leaked out into the gaps and it's stuck the bloody bezel in place!!! Aaaarrrggghhh!!

Not sure what to do now? I broke the old insert getting it out so if I try to remove it and clean up the glue (I used contact glue so may be able to clean it off) I'd probably break this one and need to buy another! Any ideas?? Thanks

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I changed my bezel, thought all had gone well until I tried to turn the bezel this morning. Glue must have leaked out into the gaps and it's stuck the bloody bezel in place!!! Aaaarrrggghhh!!

Not sure what to do now? I broke the old insert getting it out so if I try to remove it and clean up the glue (I used contact glue so may be able to clean it off) I'd probably break this one and need to buy another! Any ideas?? Thanks

Contact cement? The stuff that dies kind of rubbery?
Try to use some dental floss under the bezel and try to "saw" the bezel free from the watch. Dont know that it will work, but its worth a try.

lockstock

Supporter
Certified
15/10/10
No contact glue, the same stuff I use on my Ice Hockey sticks. Goes soft when you heat it! My plan is heat it and try to clean it all off. Lucky it stuck in the perfect position! Off on holiday for a week now so will attempt the fix upon my return!! Thanks

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Ahh OK, that sounds easier to clean than contact cement.
Good luck with it, and enjoy your holiday !

Tatagiba

9/1/13
Hi,
After reading this thread I got the courage to replace my old beaten bezel insert.

Just followed the steps heating with a 70w home solder.

Following my results:

One pic of it before, it was very bad, and the peral was lost and very off ...
20151201_134023.jpg

The old insert after torture session
20151204_074348.jpg

After cleaning i was ready to glue the new insaert with gorilla glue.
20151204_073957.jpg

And the final result is a fresh new look to my old beater ... Very happy :thumbup:.
20151207_094519.jpg

20151207_181130_EDIT.jpg

janstood

Known Member
17/9/14
A tip for those with no soldering iron or nervous about using one on their watch. I have changed several ceramic inserts by putting the watch face down in almost but not quite boiling water - a couple of mm depth - for 5 mins. Then you can pres down on the insert with two fingers, one on each side and rock back and forth until the softened glue gives way. Similar heat will loosen pearl.

Fitting a new insert is very simple with a fine circle cut out of 3M double sided adhesive sheet (available on the bay) which of applied to a clean degreased surface will not let go of your insert.