• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} PAM 372 review (version from PC)

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
Panerai 372 H-factory version (supposedly)

I was not lucky enough to have this rep from the very first batch available. I got it from the 2nd one. Since there is no review of this watch as of yet - here's mine. From friendly pal, Joshua / Perfect Clones.

There quite a lot of reviews available for gen. So, to make You more familiar with gen product, some quotes are quite handy. Panerai model 372 was introduced during SIHH2011 and it was much awaited as it was considered as the "fiddy base", also called the Luminor 1950 3 Days, 47mm. Gen case is neither truly Luminor nor Radiomir in its shape. It is certainly called the Luminor 1950 but it represents a true hybrid between the two iconic case shapes for Panerai. It is being told Panerai focused on vintage model 6152/1 where "the surface of the sandwich dial with the milled letters is showing pure Panerai DNA above the double pencil hands." The vintage 6152/1 used plexiglass. There is a nice photo from Vintage Panerai showing 6152/1 vs 372:

Rahmen_Bild_2011_SIHH1_zps4fe1245f.jpg

What's in gen 372:
- plexiglass
- sandwich dial with luminova vintage patina
- rose gold hands, pencil-like in shape
- Luminor crown guard
- flat caseback with sapphire crystal to see the movement
- in-house movement P.3000 - manual wind, only hour and minute hands

Since it is plexiglass - Panerai decided to release first batches of 372 with additional spare plexiglass.

Now there is a good moment for some quotes to describe the gen:

"The Panerai PAM 372 is an amazingly cool and desirable watch for many reasons. First and foremost, because it arguably captures the core-essence DNA of the vintage Panerai Reference 6152 from 1954. Many of the details on this watch are very, very similar to the original 6152, which is arguably the quintessential trademark Panerai. The 372 has a sandwich dial with tan lume, which give the watch a very vintage/antique 1940s look–which is incredible! (…) The Panerai Reference 372 is considered a "Base" Panerai, meaning it only has a second and minute hand, which gives is a stunningly simple, streamlined, balanced, highly symmetrical look. Despite its outstanding looks, the Panerai 372 has zero bling. It is almost reverse bling, which makes it extremely tasteful, clean and sophisticated–in an distinguishing, old-world, kind of way."

and now something I found to be very accurate about this watch:

"I have said it before, and I will say it again, there is something unique about super-high-end Italian design that is arguably unquantifiable, but it exists. Think Ferrari, or Pavarotti singing, and the Panerai 372 exudes this superlative "rare-air", Italian quality. The entire color palette of the 372, from its tan lume to its tobacco colored strap is rich Italianate–mocha earth-tones, and dessert browns that exude warmth and antiquity. Also, I noticed the 372 looks great with absolutely everything I have worn with it. The watch looks sporty, and elegant at the same time, in a timeless-modern kind of way."

Above quotes were taken from paneraiworld blog PAM 372 review.

My favorite gen photo - the watch is a heartstopper by how it looks, I think!

favgen_zpsacee6d0c.jpg

And what about reps of this watch? Now two of them are (were?) available. I have the one from H-factory. The second one is available from other maker, and is easy to recognize since it has wrongly gold CP and too bright L SWISS L text at the bottom of a dial.

Both versions use additional plates glued to Asian 6497 to barely mimic P.3000 look. Well…. what to say, it looks the best it can with this method.

GEN P.3000:
gen_p3000_zpsf673e390.jpg

REP "P.3000":
07_zpse4c98493.jpg

Rep has plexiglass as per gen, which should be easy to maintain (toothpaste and a cloth will do). Anyway, plexiglass is just market name for acrylic glass. The material was developed in 1928 in various laboratories by many chemists such as William Chalmers, Otto Röhm and Walter Bauer and was first brought to market in 1933 by the Rohm and Haas Company, under the trademark Plexiglas. Other names are known, including ACRYLITE®, Lucite and Perspex. Why the choice of plexiglas? It wasn't weird material for Panerai, especially when you know that i.e. during World War II acrylic glass was used for submarine periscopes. Does it ring a bell? ;) It is easier to mold in shapes than sapphire, while being shatter-resistant alternative to a glass at the same time. And much much cheaper to work with.

Maker claimed superluminova being used - and it looks like it (kind of standard from H-maker). At first it looked like the 'vintage' tint of luminova on a rep is a bit too dark against the gen but after comparing many photos it seems to be correct all the way.

The "LUMINOR PANERAI" text on rep dial looks like a bit too shallow comparing to gen. …or the paint is applied the way it is too thick and covers the text too much. Maybe both problems are present at the same time.

As You can see, the wrist presence is JUST GREAT :) Any rep-freak like us or Paneristi will be able to see it's a rep by just looking at the "P.3000" but… how often do You remove a watch from Your wrist to show it to someone?

About the case-work - it is fabulous! I even doubt it was from H-factory because even internal sides of lugs are polished ;)

Now to rep photos:

08_zps2eab6cec.jpg

09_zps4497462c.jpg

10_zpsef891144.jpg

11_zps0c5fe877.jpg

12_zpsa1d083c7.jpg

06_zps10f3d244.jpg

04_zps03fd9a64.jpg

03_zps77e2fa93.jpg

01_zps84dbdc56.jpg

02_zps2bbbe3ed.jpg

05_zps9ba00553.jpg

720p video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beheNmGUAzk"]PAM 372 - YouTube[/ame]

cobnson

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/1/11
Thank you for sharing!
nice pictures of a wonderful, good looking watch!

timefollower1

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/5/11
I have this 372 h-factory version and love it great watch for the money :)

Fantastic review btw :) :)

kaniel

Renowned Member
28/10/10
Great pictures and review!

The watch overall looks betteer than what I expected.. Maybe it's just for the great photos ..

Thanks for sharing!

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks Polonus for this interesting review

The watch, maybe for your fantastic pics, seems better than I thought.
We would need to confirm if it is from H maker, because I'm not actually sure

Again the doubt:
Which is the best version: PT or this Cartel version?

You can read some differences in PAM GUIDE
"Reference PAM REVIEW-GUIDE" - Replica Search, Identification, Evaluation & Selection
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/reference-pam-review-107365?t=107365

ALE

cwazy1

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/2/12
it has already been determined that this version is not from the 'HUBLOT FACTORY'

people are just calling it that.

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
some more, just for eye-candy ;)

13_zps3d433088.jpg

14_zpsf484e430.jpg

15_zps6101735e.jpg

I have managed to get really weird light to take this photo. Consider that it was just cropped - no other operations, etc.
The LUMINOR PANERAI is engraved but my initial thought about wrong paint may be correct one - too high viscosity or too much paint applied and it looks kind of flat now.

16_zps5c0656e2.jpg

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
...and on new strap from Orloff, the master :

17_zpscec0cdae.jpg

18_zps6c0a284e.jpg

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
NICE!! Question.. Can you see the LP engraving depth on the wrist. In other words, does it have the engrave look on the wrist or is it totally flat looking?

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
it looks like it "tries" to look engraved ;) but doesn't hurt eyes.

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
lol... nice all around though. The CG looks great!!

pkw2704

22/7/13
Wow,what a stunning piece,as a new member where would i find such a beauty? do the sellers of these ship w/w?

Norrie

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/12
Wow,what a stunning piece,as a new member where would i find such a beauty? do the sellers of these ship w/w?

This version from Perfect Clones and Trusty Time and there's another version with deeper engraving from Puretime.

stonesix

20/9/12
PolonusTM, your pictures really pack persuasive power. This watch look damn stunning after your camera magic.

Btw, anyone have any idea is Noob attempting to rep this?