• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Would you own a rep you couldn't conceivably afford as gen?

remykgl

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/4/13
My first rep was one of a $300.000 watch. I like the watch, I'll buy. I'm not trying to impress anyone or pass them as gens. They are simply just beautiful watches and most of the people don't even pay attention to them. Hell, even me few days ago I looked in the mirror and thought I have a Pam on my wrist, five minutes later I realized it was a Bret :lol:
And if anyone ever notices my watch and says something, which happens really, really rarely I have no problem to tell them it's a rep and tell them a little about this hobby, if they are to stupid to understand, f**k'em

Now thats a cool signature :thumbsup:

beefjerky456

I'm Pretty Popular
4/3/12
Yes, if I like it, I want to wear it :) and chances are no one will know its real value anyway...

Jaybo

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/13
I try to keep this as a requirement, but I want a RGRC so bad I can taste it. Haha!

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
I wear my breguet rep of a $135,000 tourbillon, a $3,800 suit, $600 double monk strap shoes, Montblanc pen and Vivienne westwood tie and cuff links

And I still look like a big unmade bed

:D

But seriously, I couldn't care less what people think of my watch and certainly don't worry or wonder much about what I wear is worth.

Btw the suit shoes and tie all came from the thrift store

;)

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
...Btw the suit shoes and tie all came from the thrift store

;)

"I'm gonna pop some tags, only got $20 in my pocket.
I'm, I'm, I'm hunting, looking for a come up, this is f*cking awesome."

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
Why not...??? >>.

I will buy ANY rep I like......I'm not trying to fool anyone into believing I'm wealthy based upon my costume jewellery choices...:beatahorse:

beer30

Horology Curious
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/9/12
Sure why not. Seeing how in my area nobody but the guys working in the pawn shops would have a clue what any high end watch are worth anyways. Plus IF I wanted to explain why I have a watch I couldn't afford I can always say "I won it off some drunk rich guy playing pool" and most people that know me would believe it.

Myself I just like mechanical things and simple clean old school type style so I'm kinda suprized I didn't get started in this hobby before now.

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
There will be no shame to anyone if you drive a 2010 toyota yaris, worked as a middle-level office man, and you wear that rep RM003 in your wrist ?

For me, I better forget about it.

bchandler

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/5/12
I'm sure many answered this poll "no", yet have so many reps that they would have a $100k+ collection if they were gen ;) Same as answering "yes" in my mind.

Honestly, 99% of the population will not know what your watches are, unless its a Submariner.

Pratt

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/4/13
I will buy any rep only when I can afford the gen , and had it , own it before.

justudor

18/1/13
I think the lines are drawn between want to afford or really have the money to afford. I call it prioritisations.

I for one even if I had the money would not want to walk around in a 20k watch. That's just me. Point of diminishing returns for me. But this is luxury jewellery so, it is as much as people are willing to pay...

mzcool

I'm Pretty Popular
2/6/13
I haven't bought a rep yet, but I'm planning to buy my first watch, I'm playing it safe and buying a Sub. Either way, I'm only 16, and even with the money I make as a camp counselor, the best gen I could buy is a low end Aquaracer or a high end Formula 1. I'm going to buy the Sub in part to show off, I'll admit it, but mainly because I personally enjoy having nice looking items and looking nice in general.

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
I think the lines are drawn between want to afford or really have the money to afford. I call it prioritisations.

I for one even if I had the money would not want to walk around in a 20k watch. That's just me. Point of diminishing returns for me. But this is luxury jewellery so, it is as much as people are willing to pay...

People who bought 20k watch are people who should and have 'at least' several millions free-of-tax money in their bank account.

Therefore, "have the money to afford" is usually not enough to buy a 20k watch. To buy a 20k watch, you need to "have a lot of free money to spend".

Just my 0.02 ;)

I haven't bought a rep yet, but I'm planning to buy my first watch, I'm playing it safe and buying a Sub. Either way, I'm only 16, and even with the money I make as a camp counselor, the best gen I could buy is a low end Aquaracer or a high end Formula 1. I'm going to buy the Sub in part to show off, I'll admit it, but mainly because I personally enjoy having nice looking items and looking nice in general.

Way to go, you made the right choice :cheers:

aksingh

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/10
People who bought 20k watch are people who should and have 'at least' several millions free-of-tax money in their bank account.

Therefore, "have the money to afford" is usually not enough to buy a 20k watch. To buy a 20k watch, you need to "have a lot of free money to spend".

As Ive said before I don't think this applies to WIS. Yes if youre not into watches then if you buy a gold Rolex Daytona for eg then you probably are a millionaire or on your way to being one, but if youre a WIS with a dedicated and disciplined savings plan then in 3/4 years you can easily buy a $15K watch and maybe even a 25K watch depending on your income.

Motoman4540

24/2/13
I've said this before . . . I'm a lawyer. I live a good life. I could afford an expensive AP gen, but can't rationalize $50-80K for one, especially when I can get almost a perfect rep for $600. Many of my friends in my social circle have AP gens, some have several. They all notice watches. They don't think twice when they see me wearing my AP's, and they look just as good and I love the style for a fraction of the cost. I can easily pull it off anyway, but why waste the money? I get my wife $60K Cartier reps and she loves them! Reps are the way to go!!

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
No.......and from a certain point of view it's quite funny to be anal with the details and how the rep looks close to the gen when wearing a watch that you really can't afford would scream itself it's a rep....

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I've said this before . . . I'm a lawyer. I live a good life. I could afford an expensive AP gen, but can't rationalize $50-80K for one, especially when I can get almost a perfect rep for $600. Many of my friends in my social circle have AP gens, some have several. They all notice watches. They don't think twice when they see me wearing my AP's, and they look just as good and I love the style for a fraction of the cost. I can easily pull it off anyway, but why waste the money? I get my wife $60K Cartier reps and she loves them! Reps are the way to go!!

Great post.