• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replacing ceramic bezel insert on DSSD and Subs.

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
I bought one of the first DSSDs from WI, about 3-4 years ago, with Swiss ETA, and it's still the best DSSD I've ever seen, except one small detail - it had incorrect "10" on bezel insert. It never bothered me, but I had a chance to buy new ceramic bezel insert from Trevor, and I did.

Tools for replacement:
1. Soldering iron, 40W
2. X-Acto knife with #11 blade
3. Superglue gel.

First, you have to heat up old bezel insert with hot soldering iron, to soften old glue. Move the tip all over insert in circles for about 3-4 minutes.

Then, using X-Acto knife, remove insert. New insert was a little bit thinner, than old one, so, I put it on drawing paper, held it by fingers, and made cutoff, copying inner and outer diameter of insert, so, I got a ring, exact shape of insert. Then I glued it into the bezel.

A few drops of SuperGlue gel applied on the bottom of the new insert.

Then press new insert into the place, and center it well, you have about 20 seconds, before glue will harden. Enjoy your new insert!!!

flyr

Renowned Member
15/9/12
Just a question, do you think the paper is saturated in the glue thereby waterproofing it from the inevitable moisture it will encounter? Wondering cause I have used plastic before and had bonding issues using various cements. Thanks P.S. Nice Job!

Luthier

30/9/09
Area of bezel insert is separated department, and not connected to the case, so, it has nothing to do with waterproofing of the watch. If you're concerned about paper, exposed to the water - there's no problem either, because both sides of the paper ring were soaked in glue, so, it became hard, like a stone.

flyr

Renowned Member
15/9/12
No, I wasn't worried about waterproofing the watch, just the paper:D:

Rush2112

Renowned Member
27/4/13
Not seeing the difference between the two bezels. The 10s look the same. Help me out.

Luthier

30/9/09
On old one number "10" wasn't centered, it's closer to the left strip.
It's infamous "wrong 10" bezel insert, that was present on the first DSSDs.

mitchbaria

15/10/12
Hey Luth, does the new insert from Trevor have as good recessed letters as the old one? And how does it stack up to gen?.... these ceramic inserts have been a huge cause for pause so far for me......nice work BTW,,,, sure about the water issues?

BigBuys

3/11/11
Good move! I too have an early DSSD and will be following your lead.

Appreciate you sharing your methods.

Luthier

30/9/09
Sure, was in 20 meters deep dive, held very well.
Insert itself is just great, with correct flat top triangle, and deep recessed numbers/strips. No letters there.
:p

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
Sure, was in 20 meters deep dive, held very well.
Insert itself is just great, with correct flat top triangle, and deep recessed numbers/strips. No letters there.
:p

Hi mate.is your watch a noob version? Only asking as I had a noob with a cracked insert and got a Trevor insert but it sat up a bit higher and was slightly smaller.same with the BP insert.the noob inserts are hard to track down now .what did you soak the paper in btw

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
This is how I do it:

• Heat with heat gun
  • Work insert with leather glove to loosen
  • Repeat until insert is very loose
  • Apply a piece of Gorilla Duct Tape over insert, press down for good contact, then pull out
  • Apply Permatex 1 Form a Gasket Sealant both inside bezel and back of insert- not too much
  • Put them together and adjust

Permatex_80007_15_Oz_Hardening_Form-A-Gasket_No_1_Sealant.jpg

:cheese:

Luthier

30/9/09
Heat gun isn't as precise, as soldering iron - it definitely will damage the pearl, the crystal gasket, and, probably, something else.

Aldo69

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/12
Great thread Luthier, am looking to remove the insert on the wifes swiss GMTII-C to do a platinum paint mod on it, as I recon it'll be much easier than doing it in situ.
Cheers mate.

Pratt

24/4/13
Isn't it a snap in? Why the messy glue?