• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A2836 date change problem - changes at inconsistent times

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
So I've been tinkering with an Asian eta clone watch, and after having removed and reinstalled the hands, I appear to have done something to the date change mechanism. It no longer changes the date at the same time, but instead a seems to chnge about 2-3 hours later each time than it did the previous time.

Any ideas? Might I have stripped a tooth off the datewheel gear? Is that a thing? Date jumper not seated correctly?

tr573

Renowned Member
17/10/11
You check to make sure your hands aren't dragging? If the minute hand catches the hour hand and pulls it forward this will happen - sometimes if you're just buzzing through fast you don't notice it's doing it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
You check to make sure your hands aren't dragging? If the minute hand catches the hour hand and pulls it forward this will happen - sometimes if you're just buzzing through fast you don't notice it's doing it

Good thinking. I'll give it a check here in a but.

coineeze

Horology Curious
31/8/09
It's also possible you re-installed the hands 40 -45 degrees offset.

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
It's also possible you re-installed the hands 40 -45 degrees offset.

I'm not sure what you mean. I understand why that would make the date change at the incorrect time, but not why it would make it change at a different time every time?

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11

Okay, so that wasnt it. I took off all of the hands, reset only the hour hand and made sure that it wasnt dragging ad was mounted correctly, and it's still no following a proper 24 hour date change cycle. What's more, it seems to be getting worse. One time it changed after 36 hours and the next after 22.

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
So I took the dial off, I'm not sure why. I suspect I may have to go in under the datewheel, though I don't know what to do when I get in there or how to get the datewheel back on.
Help!

zebu9ebe.jpg

May be worth mentioning that the date change function works find in crown position 2.

Odyseus

Renowned Member
1/11/11
The A2836 with Rolex date wheel overlays cause me so much grief!!!
I find that a few hours before midnight the date wheel jumps half a position, so that it shows half of today's date and half of tomorrow's.

At midnight it does click to the correct date???

I know that Rolex rep's are very sensitive screwing the movement to hard in, as the date wheel (consisting of a Rolex style overlay stuck over the old date wheel) can easily rub against the dial, even with a spacer.

I currently have a Rolex with the same problem, the a2836 was duff, so removed the date wheel and fitted it to a spate A2836, now I have this bloody date problem

Like you the date sets correctly in the middle stem position..:(

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
The A2836 with Rolex date wheel overlays cause me so much grief!!!
I find that a few hours before midnight the date wheel jumps half a position, so that it shows half of today's date and half of tomorrow's.

At midnight it does click to the correct date???

I know that Rolex rep's are very sensitive screwing the movement to hard in, as the date wheel (consisting of a Rolex style overlay stuck over the old date wheel) can easily rub against the dial, even with a spacer.

I currently have a Rolex with the same problem, the a2836 was duff, so removed the date wheel and fitted it to a spate A2836, now I have this bloody date problem

Like you the date sets correctly in the middle stem position..:(

No, mine usually flips over completely, it is just at completely random times when I'm advancing the date via the time setting position. In other words, as I keep turning the minute and hour hands, it wi change the date at 3, and then 5:30, and then 1:00, and so on.

dsmdave

Renowned Member
15/1/11
Maybe the hands are slipping on the actual peg (the piece that holds the hands on)?

I sent a watch off that was not changing date at 12, and the watchmaker says that the hands can actually slip on the movement. In which case new hands are needed.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
You might very well have damaged the date change mech.
When you had the hands off did you turn the date set as the date changeover was occuring? i know that can damage it.

Another thought is the dial spacer ring, could it have slipped from position and be dragging on the datewheel? Or possibly forgot to replace it and datewheel is dragging on the back of the dial?

Or maybe when you pulled the hands, you partially unseated the hourwheel?

Did you try to install the hands with the dial removed to see if still acts the same way?

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
You might very well have damaged the date change mech.
When you had the hands off did you turn the date set as the date changeover was occuring? i know that can damage it.

Another thought is the dial spacer ring, could it have slipped from position and be dragging on the datewheel? Or possibly forgot to replace it and datewheel is dragging on the back of the dial?

Or maybe when you pulled the hands, you partially unseated the hourwheel?

Did you try to install the hands with the dial removed to see if still acts the same way?

I'm pretty sure I may have messed with the date change while it was at "midnight", and probably stripped a few teeth off of one of the gears. I decided just to not worry about it.

Capt. Obvious

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/5/13
I just did the same thing, going to try getting my hands on a brand new movement then mess about with my screwed up one!!