• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

44mm cases vs the 40mm --- Is bigger better?

300kph

24/5/13
I am in the market for my first Pam and since they do not sell them in my hometown I have never been able to even try one on and see how it looks on my wrist.

I have a lot of diff. watches and have been wearing gen subs for 25 years my (bought an SS in '89 and traded to Santblanc in Branson MO for a new TT in 2004) Great place for gens BTW (Owner John Todd is a super guy)

The Sub case size & shape has always felt comfortable on my wrist. My buddy's Deep Sea felt OK on me but the case is a bit thick for my liking. I have small-medium wrists and I fear the 44+ crown case of the Pam might look a little over the top. Many wrist-shots I've seen have the watch looking pretty damn big. I've seen pics of Stallone wearing a 60mm Pam and it looks almost almost comical (like he stole Flava Flav's neck alarm clock and put band on it)

Being new to the game I did my research and I did all my Pam comparisons at this amazing reference page: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/reference-pam-review-107365 and decided my first rep Pam will be either the 048 Marina Luminor in 40mm. (That is if I can find one of top quality)

The new 299 (N?) seems to be the new gold standard but I fear it might look too big. I would probably swap out the SS band for rubber or croc (BTW: Can the 299 accept the rubber or leather bands?)

Why are there so few 40mm Pams? Is that just part of their mystique? I know the trend has been for larger watches and I see some guys wearing blinged-out hockey pucks that look grotesque (but that's just my opinion)

Has anyone with smaller wrists been disappointed to get their first Pam and find it felt or looked "too big" and maybe wished they'd bought a 40mm?

Further on this 40mm topic. Does anyone know of a 40mm Pam (048) that is of the same quality as the new 299 that is getting such rave reviews?

Please chime in.

Wayne

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
AFAIK there are very few Pam 40mm reps, and none that are super reps.

ikiestik

Renowned Member
8/4/09
Just buy whichever 44mm super rep you like the most, if you feel its too big sell or trade it here. Or you could buy a cheap pam rep to check the size. If you've been wearing subs and they feel comfortable you will more than likely find the pam heavy and cumbersome on your wrist bet within a few days of wearing it you'll find going back to the sub is strange and it will probably feel like a ladies watch.

Measure your wrist with a tailor's tape measure anything over 7 inch you'll be fine.

straycat

Renowned Member
27/11/12
View attachment 21310048 on my tiny 6" wrist.
View attachment 21311
Noob 292J on my tiny wrist. Obviously, the 40mm gets 90% of the wrist time due to its size. The 048 wears very similar to Sub.View attachment 21312
But unfortunately, they are no super reps of PAMs 40mm.
But I'm sure a lot of members will say that PAMs are supposed to be big. That's why the 40mms don't get much love.

Capt. Obvious

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/5/13
Nice pieces! I think the 44mm can still look good on a smaller wrist depending on how it's worn (eg with what clothes).

I agree with the above comments, just buy whichever you like most.

In the worst case scenario you'll end up with one more piece in your watchbox, or a really nice prezzie for someone! :)

urukale

Horology Curious
2/3/13
I have a 111v3 Noob and a 048 MBK (Reg) incoming. The 40 mm rep is quite expensive, will post pics when it arrives (~mid June hopefully)

300kph

24/5/13
Firstly, thanks for the replies and the great wrist-shots. Some of those look great. FYI: I have never ever measured my wrist . Today I did to find it a dead even 7" (Wow! I'm more well-endowed that I thought) Still it's a smallish wrist.

Yes, I understand part of the mystique of Pams is their imposing size. I think many of the oversize pieces were originally meant to be worn over a sleeve like vintage pilot watch or over a diving watch over a dive suit and they became more trendy to wear in high fashion and hence the birth of the "Big Watch" craze. At one time a sub was considered a monster and I loved Ikiestik's comment about it feeling like a ladies watch after the Pam. LOL!

Please tell me this picture of Sylvester Stallone wearing the 60mm does not look "over the top" (That BTW was not one of his better movies)

search
Sylvester-Stallone-Panerai-Red-Carpet.jpg

search
He's brand loyal, I'll give him that.

The same post to another forum had people saying the 40mm was a fools errand and there are none / they are sold out / the only 40's out there are cheapies.

Puretime lists the 048 http://www.puretime.co/product/pam048-a7750/

And at $258 it is not cheap, yet not a super-rep (in my limited experience) the movement appears to be lower-end. Opinions please?

I came across Tony from Pamelawatch and dropped him a line but still no response.

I will hunt down a good 40mm but am not adverse to buying a 299 and was hoping someone could answer my question about it. Will it accept the rubber band like in the Puretime 048 link above? or does the fact it has an all SS bracelet affect it? (Sorry, like I said I've never so much as seen one close up)

Please continue to post. This is getting interesting.

Wayne

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Puretime might list the 048 but I don't believe it's still in production, it's certainly not a recent rep from H or Noob factories as far as I know. The movement is just a standard clone 7750 movement.

As said above Narikaa can get you the MBK version but it's not cheap ($450 maybe?)

Pamelawatch is not a trusted dealer on here so if it goes tits up you will have no support from the mods on here.

The 048 will be a 22mm lug size and have the same lug screws as the 44mm luminor watches.