• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cartel 1675 Mini Review

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
wvinx
wvinx.jpg

od69n.jpg

This is based on the 1675 that I just received from Watches International. I realize that they are not TDs’ here; but, they have a good reputation and they bank at the same bank as I use, Bank of China. As such I can put payments into their account without paying transfer fees.

As many here know, I am not drawn to large watches. In fact, I am sometimes a bit derisive of the style. However, I wanted a three timezone watch. I looked at the current GMT II style; but, I found it to be uncomfortably large. Then, during a tip to HK, I then tried on a 16710. I liked the size. However, my research here showed me that there were no good 16710 reps. This took me back to the “Cartel†1675.

- Brand
If course, it says “Rolex.†With that bit of silliness out of the way, I am not sure what factory produces this watch.

- Model number
1675 – Black insert, White indices

- Official or unofficial Nickname (if any exists)
Cartel “open 6 & 9â€

- Overview
This is, of course, a replica of the Rolex 1675
Black dial, White Embossed Lume Dot Markers and Needles

- movement information/review
Dealer Stated Swiss Eta 2836-2 Modified Automatic Movement. Complications consist of an independently adjustable GMT Hand, and date.
If total accuracy to the gen is important to you, it should be remembered that the gen 1675 does not have an independently settable GMT hand. That being said, it is important to me that I be able to set the GMT hand in order to show three time zones.

The three time zones are viewed this way: Local Time – main dial, London (which just happens to be GMT) – GMT pointer (the little red hand), Home time – Bezel setting.

HACK MOVEMENT: Yes
DATE INDICATOR: at 3:00 position (Correct Date Mag and Font)
GMT HAND: YES

Yes, we all know better than to believe that it is a real Swiss ETA. I asked and was assured that it was a real, new, Swiss, movement; that said, I have not opened the case to see what is really in it. As soon as I get a case opener I will append that photo to this.

- Case review
CASE MATERIAL: Solid Stainless Steel 316L (I have no way of testing this)

Between the lugs on the top are two lines of text. The top says “ORIG ROLEX DESIGN.†The bottom line saysâ€1675.â€
Between the lugs on the bottom are two lines of text. The top says “STAINLESS STEEL.†The bottom line saysâ€3838448.â€
The lug-holes appear to be drilled straight through. However, as has been noted in other reviews, they appear a bit smaller than OEM
CASE DIAMETER: 39.5mm
THICKNESS: 14.5mm

- crystal review
FRONT GLASS: Plexi Plastic Crystal... Similar Profile as per the Genuine
The magnifier, which does indeed magnify, is positioned a bit low. This is something to be aware of when examining QC photos.

Solid case back - Markings on the internal of Case back, unknown, I have not opened the caseback. There are no marking on the outside of the case back.

- bracelet/strap review (including clasp)
It comes with a riveted style bracelet. The adjustment links screw heads are poorly notched. I tried to adjust it with the tools I have finally gave up and put the whole thing in a ziplock bag. I had a strap to use (18mm. . . close enough. . .).

As a minimum, you should be prepared with two pin-vises to hold the hollow post and to start the screw. After the screw is started you then will need a screwdriver to finish the adjustment.

While adjusting the bracelet, screws that I was not trying to remove did fall out.

Summary, expect to need to tinker on the bracelet.

- bezel review (if it has a rotating bezel)

Black Bezel, Bi -directional Rotating GMT Bezel

The bezel is bi-directional with no stops. The friction is uneven; however, it seems to be willing to stay in the position I want it in. The insert is unevenly applied, there are spots that the bezel will interfere with a fingernail moving across the insert and off the watch, and places it won’t.

- review of any special features or additional complications (such as power reserve indicators, chronograph functions, moon phase, etc.)

I was surprised that the GMT adjustment seemed to “jump†between the hours. It did make it easy to set the GMT hand. It is easily set be pulling the crown to the first indent and turning the crown in the opposite direction as is used to quickset the date.

- closing opinions and recommendations

I do not have a timegrapher so I cannot comment on accuracy other than to say that, so far, I have not noticed any severe problems with timekeeping. I expect to expose it to real-life durability testing; unless a problem shows up it will become a daily beater.

Is it perfect? No. As I mentioned, the insert is poorly applied and the magnifier is a bit low. The Bezel turns . . . oddly. However, at less than 5% the cost of the gen in HK, I am willing to accept some things. I will probably add a little Wabbi (the perfection of imperfection) once I get the case open. Only time will tell if it will be a durable timepiece.
6ftz2.jpg

on 17cm (6.5") wrist

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I bought one (a Pepsi) about a year ago, put on the Clark bezel replacement and crystal and it is stunning. I use it for travelling and it keeps excellent time (with a clone movement).

I modded the CGs and drilled the lugs to get it a bit closer to gen, I think it is my best project and it was my first!

Enjoy it

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
Does yours actually have the open 6/9 datewheel? I ordered one and just receive it to find that it has closed 6 and 9s, so now I have to replace it.m

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
Does yours actually have the open 6/9 datewheel? I ordered one and just receive it to find that it has closed 6 and 9s, so now I have to replace it.m

It is a good thing you asked on the 19th. Here is a picture of the 9.
9iez3.jpg

So far the only thing I have done is to bleach the bezel and put a strap on it.

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
Grrrrrr. Yours looks great. I have a replacement date wheel being sent to me, but now I either have to figure out how to replace the damn thing myself or send it off. Probably gonna vintage up the dial a bit while I have it out, too.

Bolduc Zogmar

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/8/12
It is a good thing you asked on the 19th. Here is a picture of the 9.
9iez3.jpg

So far the only thing I have done is to bleach the bezel and put a strap on it.

Hello! Nice watch. I have one in order.
How did you bleach the insert?
Wear it good!

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
Hello! Nice watch. I have one in order.
How did you bleach the insert?
Wear it good!

This is going to sound embarrassing because it was so easy. I put it face-down in a saucer of bleach. I was worried about the plexi'; but, I thought of that after I started the process. In fact, as you can see, it did no harm.

In a different note, it isn't getting as much wrist time as I had hoped due to poor water sealing. At some point I will have to order the tools and do some work on it. At the present I just don't have what I need and it is just such a nuisance ordering things like that in China.

Bolduc Zogmar

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/8/12
This is going to sound embarrassing because it was so easy. I put it face-down in a saucer of bleach. I was worried about the plexi'; but, I thought of that after I started the process. In fact, as you can see, it did no harm.

In a different note, it isn't getting as much wrist time as I had hoped due to poor water sealing. At some point I will have to order the tools and do some work on it. At the present I just don't have what I need and it is just such a nuisance ordering things like that in China.

Thank you.
If I may ask for some details, what kind of bleach did you use, and how long?

Too bad it's not really water-sealed, I'd like to be able to wear it at least to swim. I'm afraid I'll have to send it to the Wiz or RA, since I do not dare to do it myself, especially the bezel/plexi part which looks tricky...

jerkstore

27/12/12
Annoying question: why in the world did the dial makers stop the minute markers short of the rehaut? It's not very noticeable on your version, but it sticks out like a sore thumb on the same dial when placed in an old Silix case with a slightly larger aperture... Side by side, compared to gen:

DC203709-5650-4DB7-BF1E-09202FE090EE-967-000000F70F50ADC3_zps3bd609c3.jpg

Maybe they'll fix that in the "1:1" version 2 ultimate supreme edition.