• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sticking Minute hand

agentsmith350

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
7/1/13
Hi Guys ,

Very let down as i looked forward to receiving this watch so much , had delays at customs etc then it arrived not working :(

It is a 2824 movement and the problem is that the minute hand seems to just stop after two minutes wherever it is on the dial. The second keep ticking round and keeping perfect 60 seconds but the minutes just give up altogether.

Is this a simple fix for a DIY or a watchsmith ? As i would rather not have to go through the hassle of a return.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Sound like a slipping cannon pinion.

Very easy fix for a watchsmith.

You might be able to do it yourself, even.

agentsmith350

Banned
7/1/13
Im sitting with it now with the Stem unscrewed and it seems to work ? Would that still be the cannon pin ?

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Possibly.

When you try to set the time does the watch seem really easy to adjust?
Like no resistance when moving the hands around?

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Sounds like it may be a keyless works issue. Either way, it needs a trip to a watch smith unless the dealer will take it back which will cost you $30 shipping, take 1-3 months to get it back, risk another trip through Customs, and may come back with the same or new problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agentsmith350

Banned
7/1/13
Possibly.

When you try to set the time does the watch seem really easy to adjust?
Like no resistance when moving the hands around?

Nothing out of the ordinary that i can notice

Sounds like it may be a keyless works issue. Either way, it needs a trip to a watch smith unless the dealer will take it back which will cost you $30 shipping, take 1-3 months to get it back, risk another trip through Customs, and may come back with the same or new problem.

:cry: Gutted , I cannot believe it was shipped like this on a higher priced rep :(

Playing with it some more the hands work fine with the stem in the winding position

Works for a couple of minutes when screwed in then stops

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
HMMM...Now im wondering if the stem was cut too long (actually, not enough)

agentsmith350

Banned
7/1/13
Here's the detailed process to determine if the stem was cut too long:

1). Take it to a watch smith and ask him.
2). Await his response.

I live in the middle of nowhere , Its a two hour drive to a non dealer watchsmith and i have no idea if they would even look at it.. so would appreciate some help on how i can find the cause so i can decide what to do

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Well let try this...Leave the crown unscrewed for a day and let the watch run. If it then runs and keeps time OK Id say the cannon pinion is OK.

Here is what i think might be happening, with the stem too long, as you are screwing in the crown its actually pushing the movement towards the 9 oclock position, which is in turn shifting the dial towards the 3 oclock position. when the hand opening in the center of the dial gets offset enough, its starts rubbing on the hour wheel,causing drag, which is causing the cannon pinion to slip. (remember its designed to slip to some degree so you can set the watch without stripping gears).

You might be able to see this using a loupe as you screw down the crown. The watch hands will become off center and the date alignment might shift in the window slightly too.

agentsmith350

Banned
7/1/13
Thanks raddave i appreciate people taking the time to help :).

Iv had the stem unscrewed to the winding position for half an hour now and the minute hand is working so your thinking makes sense.

If i asked the dealer to send another stem would this likely cure it ?

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Thanks raddave i appreciate people taking the time to help :).

Iv had the stem unscrewed to the winding position for half an hour now and the minute hand is working so your thinking makes sense.

If i asked the dealer to send another stem would this likely cure it ?

It might or might not. It (the new one) might still need to be trimmed to the proper length.

You could probably do it yourself if you can remove the stem from the watch.
1) remove stem from watch
2) remove crown from stem
3) trim .5mm from stem threads, and chamfer the threads
4) reinstall crown to stem
5) test fit stem assembly to watch, if it works ok your done, if not knock off another 1/2 mil.

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
Nothing out of the ordinary that i can notice

:cry: Gutted , I cannot believe it was shipped like this on a higher priced rep :(

Playing with it some more the hands work fine with the stem in the winding position

Works for a couple of minutes when screwed in then stops

It could of been fine till it git bumped around during shipping. Sounds like the cannion pinion is not pressed down mit couod have got hit hard during shipping and jarred loose. Stem more than likely isnt it rather it may be turning it some or enough to get tge pinion back somewhat on track but the permanent fux sounds like u need to remove dial and hands and press fit the cannion pinion and put bac together .just my two cents

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Tell the dealer and send it back for repair, or send it to Katt here in Conus for repair. I promise you this is not an issue you can fix yourself as your first foray into opening up a watch. And I can't help you with your geographic challenge. So either way, you're going to have to mail it somewhere.

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
Tell the dealer and send it back for repair, or send it to Katt here in Conus for repair. I promise you this is not an issue you can fix yourself as your first foray into opening up a watch. And I can't help you with your geographic challenge. So either way, you're going to have to mail it somewhere.

I agree.leave it alone it takes a little more than you might want to handle

agentsmith350

Banned
7/1/13
It might or might not. It (the new one) might still need to be trimmed to the proper length.

You could probably do it yourself if you can remove the stem from the watch.
1) remove stem from watch
2) remove crown from stem
3) trim .5mm from stem threads, and chamfer the threads
4) reinstall crown to stem
5) test fit stem assembly to watch, if it works ok your done, if not knock off another 1/2 mil.

Thanks , whats the best way to shave down the stem ?

RBJ and LMRodger - If it was the cannon pin would it not get stuck completely i.e not work with the stem in the winding position ?.

Iv dabbled with cheaper 21j watches , swapped dials etc so am not "too" afraid of opening it up if its something relatively easy like changing the stem but if its something much more then il look to getting prices from UK repairers.

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
Its not the stem .imho going by your symptoms it's the pinion raised .not seated properly .tooth or teeth could be missing as well but most likely raised .send to someone who knows imho

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
There is a proper tool used for stem trimming. But the way i do it is to use a fine sanding wheel on a dremel tool to remove the desired material. then ill use the same sanding wheel to chamfer the threads.

And in all honesty, rbj might be right. But if the cannon pinion wasnt seated properly, it seems like you would have issues with the crown unscrewed also.

If im wrong, you will need to get a replacement stem (around $10).

If it was mine i would try to trim the stem first then go from there.

agentsmith350

Banned
7/1/13
Its not the stem .imho going by your symptoms it's the pinion raised .not seated properly .tooth or teeth could be missing as well but most likely raised .send to someone who knows imho

Thanks , I see what you mean , I did as Dave suggested and left it running overnight with the crown unscrewed and 12 hours later it is still keeping perfect time , Im thinking that means the teeth must be ok but would that rule a problem with the cannon pin out as well ?.

There is a proper tool used for stem trimming. But the way i do it is to use a fine sanding wheel on a dremel tool to remove the desired material. then ill use the same sanding wheel to chamfer the threads.

And in all honesty, rbj might be right. But if the cannon pinion wasnt seated properly, it seems like you would have issues with the crown unscrewed also.

If im wrong, you will need to get a replacement stem (around $10).

If it was mine i would try to trim the stem first then go from there.

Thanks im just waiting on a sticky ball to remove the back , Do you know what position the stem needs to be in the 2824 for removal ? I.e time set / winding

As i say above to RBJ i left it running overnight with the crown unscrewed and it is still keeping perfect time so if that means its definetly the stem i may just ask for another from stem from the dealer.

The other thing i thought of this morning that combines both outlined possible causes is could it be that the stem is going to far in as you say and then pushing/misaligning the cannon pin , in which case the way to sort it would still be shaving the crown side of the stem as you suggest