• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Long Live Reps....? At least we hope so

x4rno

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/1/13
So...

How do people really feel about their purchases, and the quality of the reps they've been collecting over the years. And by "quality" I'm talking about durability...

Are people finding common disappointments a year or more down the line with things like: steel wearing away, gold fading, faces dulling, silver not shining, everyday scuffing, etc...

Point of the question really is, do people buy with an expectation that it's a short-term purchase and will bin after a year or two, Or are they of good qualities enough to run for for years and years?

I'm just interested in peoples views on purchasing and whether or not, actually, each purchase mearly suppresses an inevitable feeling of loss later down the line....?

I know gens would last forever and are typically seen as family heirlooms and handed down, perhaps reps not so much...

What do people think, how are peoples 1,2,3+ year old reps coping with the joys of wearing them?

Thanks
x4rno

Kleen

I'm Pretty Popular
13/3/13
Dunno to be honest - just started reps a couple of weeks ago, but my gens have definitely proved to be extremely durable over the last 20 years...
I guess that is part of what I'm here to discover.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
There are many threads here that address your points. Good questions, all. You will find a variety of positions stated in those threads. Hopefully you will get a good range of replies here.

My response is that (1) gens don't last forever unless they are properly taken care of and (2) reps are poorly made and require much more attention than gens if you want them to look and operate as well and for as long as any legitimate watch. Attention that takes the form of modification and repair affected by people that may or may not be conveniently accessed.

I have sold all but three of my reps. The oldest has a Russian mechanical movement. The other two are younger than one year old. Buying and selling all of my rep collection over the years cost me enough money to buy an Omega. I now am of the belief that owning one Omega is more satisfying than owning a dozen reps.

Ironically, buying and selling reps was more costly for me than buying and selling gens. The spread on the cost of buying and selling used gens is smaller--in my experience--than that of a new rep sold as used.

Just my $0.02 USD as always.

D

d4m.test

There are many threads here that address your points. Good questions, all. You will find a variety of positions stated in those threads. Hopefully you will get a good range of replies here.

My response is that (1) gens don't last forever unless they are properly taken care of and (2) reps are poorly made and require much more attention than gens if you want them to look and operate as well and for as long as any legitimate watch. Attention that takes the form of modification and repair affected by people that may or may not be conveniently accessed.

I have sold all but three of my reps. The oldest has a Russian mechanical movement. The other two are younger than one year old. Buying and selling all of my rep collection over the years cost me enough money to buy an Omega. I now am of the belief that owning one Omega is more satisfying than owning a dozen reps.

Ironically, buying and selling reps was more costly for me than buying and selling gens. The spread on the cost of buying and selling used gens is smaller--in my experience--than that of a new rep sold as used.

Just my $0.02 USD as always.

+1

Great post Tommy.

arcadia

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/11
Not another thread from a gen purist... :facepalm:

Man, just enjoy life. It's actually very short.

x4rno

11/1/13
Tommy, thanks - a point of view I hadn't quite seen it from.

I guess I should also add another point, just incase people view my question as loaded and was about to jump on a gen vs rep soap box! ;-)

That when I'm talking about durability, I'm not suggesting that reps can pass for Gens (and being THAT guy) but more in that it's money spent on the right thing:

For example: (please don't anyone take this the wrong way)

I could buy a gen Franck Muller for a price of say £6k, if I wanted too.... But, (now for the real point), if I did that would be it, I couldn't afford to buy any more watches, certainly not at those prices. Let's be honest, that's a lot of money. Now, I love watches and can never just settle on one watch or even just two... The rep market allows me to experiment and try out and maybe find out what I really like for a tenth of the cost.... Wear it and enjoy it.

A different discussion perhaps... But really wondered how people's 1+ year reps where doing? Is it bin time, repair time, or still going strong?

Thanks

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I'll try to address your original point.

For me, I got into reps as my gen Omega was picking up dings and scratches through normal wear and I was going to buy a second (gen) watch to spread the wear and give me a little bit of variety.

I was going to get a 45mm PO, however, wasn't sure if it was too big. I discovered this site, bought a POrikaa to see if I liked the PO, and have never looked back.

For me, the one advantage reps have over gen is that I can afford many more, and therefore they all get worn less. My 10 reps will only see, on average, 5 weeks of running and wear a year, where as one gen was seeing 52.

No doubt the gen is better made and QC is tighter, however, is it 10 times better? Who knows? Certainly not if not properly serviced and maintained. I can service my reps myself (or replace them for less than the cost of a gen service) and give them at least a fighting chance.

For me, if I wreck a $200 watch, I'd be angry but it isn't the end of the world, however, if I wrecked a $2000 watch, I'd be devistated and probably never replace it.

So, in summary, do I expect my reps to last for ever? No, however, it'll take 5 years for one to see the equivalent of 1 year of full time wear, and if I get that from $200 watch I'd be more than happy. Will I buy another gen? Of course, they are the ultimate in terms of quality and engineering, however, it'll take a lot more selection and thought than a rep - I might even buy the gen of a rep I have if I like the look enough...

This is a hobby, I know plenty of people who spend more than $200 a month on watching football or smoking, so while I'm getting enjoyment from it, I'll keep it up.

My advice is: buy a rep, enjoy it for what it is, if it dies, decide if the hobby is for you or not. If it isn't, buy a gen and look after it properly so you can give it to your kids in 50 years time.

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
I buy nice reps, so there's no reason they shouldn't last as long as I will. They may end up needing movement swap or service, but other than that the watches are made of the same thing as the gens. Maybe lesser quality steel, but not so inferior that the case is going to disintegrate after a few years.

Luthier

30/9/09
"steel wearing away, gold fading, faces dulling, silver not shining, everyday scuffing, etc..."
Gosh.... You REALLY think steel wearing away??? You, maybe, don't have a clue, but steel is the same on reps and gens - 316L, exept Rolex, that use 904L. And where did you find silver on any watches???
"I know gens would last forever"... Oh, really??? Who told you this bullshit?
I have 70 reps, many of them are 4-6 years old, and I don't see any signs of wear, even on goldplated watches. On the other side, my friend has $28,000 Vacheron, and he sent it back to Switzerland for repair 4 times in 3 years. He bought it 3 years ago.
Go figure...

Ballface

20/6/12
Buy gens if you want perfection, get reps if you can settle with a few flaws. The biggest killer for me about gens is that, as has been mentioned in this very thread, they have to be cared for. Sure, reps might die on you but for the price of a single service/restoration for your Omega you might very well get a new top-end carbon forged AP rep or a couple of clone/Swiss ETA reps of that same watch. Never mind that several thousand dollar hurdle that you'll have to cross when making the initial purchase; if you decide to keep that gen you're out a lot of money that you could have spent elsewhere but with a rep it's only a few hundred bucks.

x4rno

11/1/13
Thanks for the feedback guys, this forum proves it worth with some constructive feedback and general opinions, so thanks for that.

Luthier, on the other hand no need to be so rude and aggressive in getting your point across. I value all opinions when they are expressed fairly and not back in ones face...

I get your point about steel wearing away, but this was more the chrome plating used on some of the backs of the faces and/or straps. Obviously not referring to the actual metal wearing away - lol. I wasn't aware grades of materials were the same in some cases, so I've learnt something there.

I've seen some really poor reps recently, which perhaps once looked good but after a couple of years of use look like cheap nasty sh*t you wouldn't be seen dead wearing....

Again just an opinion, but hence my original question out to the rep market. After all, I don't know...

Thanks all the same, I welcome anymore testemonials.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Some will last some won't. There are lemons with Gens too.

This thread made me think about my collection. (currently at 6 reps + 3 Gens)
All are holding up well and the oldest rep is one year.

The point Tommy made about owning one Omega vs. 10 reps could be debated forever. Everyone is different. I do agree on how much is lost flipping used reps. (depreciation, PP fees, shipping...) I probably could have had another Gen with all that I have lost. But I sure have had fun.

Luthier

30/9/09
Mate, chrome plating on ALLOY metals will fade, definitely, but I didn't see ANY alloy cases for at least a decade. Low class watches made from 304L steel, top grade replicas - from 316L, same steel, that 99% of gen. watches made. Even gold plating stay very long, unless you wear sandpaper made shirt and use the same watch for a year. :)
I wasn't rude, I just expect at least some knowledge of A and B in replicas making. Sorry, if I offended you, but, honestly, mate - you had to do some reading, before saying things, that you don't know. Best advice - spend a few days in reading our posts, you'll gain great information.
Cheers.

trevsdad

Renowned Member
5/1/13
If we were talking about reps from 10 or 20 years ago, I'd have to say there's quite a bit of disappointment, however the quality of many contemporary reps almost rivals some gens. I have a rep Rolex DSSD that's coming up on a year. Had to permanently fix the crown to the stem and I'd like to re-lume the dial at some point but it's a dead ringer in look and feel, keeps great time, and shows no signs of falling apart..so, yeah I'm happy. On the other hand, no doubt, gens are built better and the people who design and build them are remarkable...but seriously, 55 to 155k for a watch??? who's fooling who?

ressmeplz

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
4/12/12
"I know gens would last forever"... Oh, really??? Who told you this bullshit?

I have some gens pocket watches from the finish of 1800, and my oldest wristwatch is from the 1933...belive me, high end gens last forever

Luthier

30/9/09
I'm 100% sure, that my good replicas will live forever too. I don't see any difference between a gen. watch with ETA and rep. watch with ETA.

D

d4m.test

I would suggest staying away from RG/WG/YG, stick to stainless steel and your precious reps should last for many years!

ressmeplz

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
4/12/12
I'm 100% sure, that my good replicas will live forever too. I don't see any difference between a gen. watch with ETA and rep. watch with ETA.
High end watches have manifacture movents inside, not an eta... :facepalm:

And I hope you won't compare a 400€ watch with a 4000€/8000€/10000€ watch...it's like say that a Fiat Panda run and last the same that a Ferrari :facepalm: maybe it's time to study a bit and lear the difference between rubies and brass, for example...or the benefits of a decorated platina...