• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 351 Gen/Rep comparison

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Thanks for the review. The 351 is one of my favorite pams too. I thought the gold colored hands on the rep had a different shade than the gen. Is this correct?

I don't see any difference in the shade. The finish on the hands is better on the gen though. You can see where the plating on the hands sort of curve at the edges, kinda looks like the hands were stamped out of a sheet of metal then plated with gold. The edges on the rep on the other hand (pun intended :lol: ) are sharper, kinda like the whole sheet was plated and then the hands were stamped out. But this is only upon close inspection and only at certain angles when the light reflects on the edge.

Mrmarcus86

Horology Curious
22/3/13
Interesting read! I have got a question do. It seems on the photo's of the rep that the titanium case scratches easy. Is that true?

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Interesting read! I have got a question do. It seems on the photo's of the rep that the titanium case scratches easy. Is that true?

Titanium scratches easily, yes that is true. The rep will get scratches just as easily as the gen so that is a plus. ;)

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Titanium scratches easily, yes that is true. The rep will get scratches just as easily as the gen so that is a plus. ;)

I agree ... LOL
It is the truth

ALE

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
Calling for owners of pam351,

Do you feel that the polish of the bezel is a bit bad ?
I see that the polish is not so "totally polished out" like mirror-finish, instead it looks like "plasticky polished finish" with still a little bit hint of grains....

Comment please :D

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Calling for owners of pam351,

Do you feel that the polish of the bezel is a bit bad ?
I see that the polish is not so "totally polished out" like mirror-finish, instead it looks like "plasticky polished finish" with still a little bit hint of grains....

Comment please :D

It is highly possible that the gen was very carefully handled and remained in storage while the rep was worn as a beater, hence the difference in the appearance of the bezel. It could also be the lighting that exposes the light scratches that would otherwise be invisible to the naked eye. All in all though, it's nothing a bit of work with cape cod won't fix. :D

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
It is highly possible that the gen was very carefully handled and remained in storage while the rep was worn as a beater, hence the difference in the appearance of the bezel. It could also be the lighting that exposes the light scratches that would otherwise be invisible to the naked eye. All in all though, it's nothing a bit of work with cape cod won't fix. :D

I was talking new vs new oob.
So no "wear issues" involved

Arancini

Known Member
20/9/12
Recent owner of a PAM 351.

No problems with the Bezel polish. Very happy with it.

Mine says Hello.

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
You don't feel the polish of the bezel like a polish from cheap shower from china (textury)? Cause I do feel so ! lol....

If you compare the polish of Toto / other german manufacture shower, sink faucets, and so on with china quality shower and sink faucets, you will know what I mean. One has perfect mirror like polish, other have 'textury' polish...

sorry for my english :D

Arancini

Known Member
20/9/12
You don't feel the polish of the bezel like a polish from cheap shower from china (textury)? Cause I do feel so ! lol....

If you compare the polish of Toto / other german manufacture shower, sink faucets, and so on with china quality shower and sink faucets, you will know what I mean. One has perfect mirror like polish, other have 'textury' polish...

sorry for my english :D

Maybe if you want a 351 with a mirror like polish on the bezel, buy the Gen.

Should set you back a couple of thousand dollars US.

Bargain.

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
What I am asking is a comparison of gen bezel polish with rep bezel polish. How is it different or just the same. I hope anyone with knowledge or ownership of gen can clarify this.

GeDi

Renowned Member
5/2/13
Very nice threat

Thanks for taking the time to write it up !

I take it you Rep is NOT a KW edition as its some months old. correct?

Thanks

D.

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
Very nice threat

Thanks for taking the time to write it up !

I take it you Rep is NOT a KW edition as its some months old. correct?

D.

What do you exactly mean?
Current 351 rep is not being made by kw.

GeDi

Renowned Member
5/2/13
Why dont you go with

312 OR 320 from KW?

351 should be lighter also due to use of titanium?

My pam127 has a slighty brownish dial which i dont actually love.

Capt. Obvious

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/5/13
Very interesting read. Thank you for taking the time to do that.
I was just going to mention about the KW.
They've done the 359 and it's frighteningly good.
A huge step forward IMO is the modified 7750 which looks MUCH better than the movement in the 351.
The two watches are basically identical, same case shape and movement, so it should be child's play for KW to release a kickass version.
Maybe with a dial colour closer to gen?