• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which gen Rolex is worth buying?

nlnlnlnene

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/10
I'm in the market for an everyday steel watch and I was wondering which Rolex you guys think are worth the price

Specifically, which model is least likely to be replicated to perfection?

So far it seems like GMT is the answer

arcadia

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/11
For me, all gen Rolexes are worth the buy within ones budget. They are gens, end of discussion.

Rep manufacturers are not yet within close replications of Daytona, GMT, Explorer, among others. But if it's your first gen, I suggest go with a vintage sub if you can afford it.

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I'd agree on the GMT. You can pick up an 80's 16750 for a really reasonable price, they look stunning with a Pepsi bezel.

My local dealer also has some really well priced Explorer II models, but I'm not sure of their age.

It all depends on budget, by £4k gets you some nice examples.

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
Seen some cracking deals come and go over on TRF. If only I could afford a gen I would of snapped one up.

Submariners are my fav.

nlnlnlnene

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/10
It's not my first gen watch as I have a Patek and an Omega as well as a vintage Rolex DJ which I lost.

Pepsi GMTs don't look good to me but the black GMTs look quite smart.
Subs are too common and it seems that Sea-Dwellers are a bit overpriced for what they are.

rols16610

20/4/12
I'm in the market for an everyday steel watch and I was wondering which Rolex you guys think are worth the price

Specifically, which model is least likely to be replicated to perfection?

So far it seems like GMT is the answer

Get yourself a 16710 GMT Pepsi or Coke, as it is almost impossible to find a decent rep of this one without getting one build from various parts etc.

drozd

6/3/11
I would only choose a watch that I liked and wanted to wear, not on whether or not it was poorly replicated, I think what you are saying is you want any Rolex as long as people don't think its a replica,

jeffw69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/11
I ended up buying a gen DSSD after owning 2 rep versions.

I love it and wear it often.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Worth buying is very difficult to asertain. I don't think any of their watches are worth the price. I do own gen Rolex watches but they aren't worth the price paid, theres just no doubt about it. They are very nice to own and a prestigous brand, but remember its a item of luxury, and no luxury item is worth its price, its for self gradification.

I'm sure you already know no watch is gonna be perfectly repped, theres always some problem or something that just isn't right. But I do think the Daytona, GMT, SkyDweller, and DSSD are probably the most difficult to rep correctly.

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
I would only choose a watch that I liked and wanted to wear, not on whether or not it was poorly replicated, I think what you are saying is you want any Rolex as long as people don't think its a replica,

Agree! If you are going to shell out the coin for a gen, it should be based only on what you love, not its lack of replication.

Fakey has a saying that's probably true: "People will assume your gen is fake, more than they assume your fake is gen." ...or something like that. Point being: buy it for you.

nlnlnlnene

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/10
Well I like a lot of watches so I don't necessarily need to go with a Rolex per se.

I definitely have come to the conclusion that none of the ETA movement watches are worth getting in gen form.
Paying 7000 for a gmt master seems sensible compared to paying the same for a panerai 000/005/111.

My rationale is that if a Chinese rep factory can replicate it well for all intents and purposes, then there is nothing special about the gen construction that deserves gen money.

This is in contrast to like a patek or a lange, which can never be replicated by our rep factories without spending probably same amount of money if not more than the gen.

sardonix

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/10
For me the 16600 to get as a gen, the most handsome modern sport watch of Rolex in my opnion
4sJ4TN8.jpg

Debellum

Old and Famous
Patron
29/6/12
Italy
Worth buying is very difficult to asertain. I don't think any of their watches are worth the price. I do own gen Rolex watches but they aren't worth the price paid, theres just no doubt about it. They are very nice to own and a prestigous brand, but remember its a item of luxury, and no luxury item is worth its price, its for self gradification.

I'm sure you already know no watch is gonna be perfectly repped, theres always some problem or something that just isn't right. But I do think the Daytona, GMT, SkyDweller, and DSSD are probably the most difficult to rep correctly.

Holy words.
Try with the vintage models.
Maybe a 1680 or a classic 16610 or Sea Dweller 16660.
Cartel for the 1680 and TC for the 16610.
Sea Dweller from Sead.

Cheers

Junio

blind-m

I'm Pretty Popular
21/3/12
The Yacht II will never have a rep anywhere close to gen. There is a SS/rose gold version but no all SS. Might be too much for an everyday watch, but there'll be no doubt about it being gen...

m116681-0001.png

revhrd

5/2/11
+1 on sub's pov, yet a no date spider dial sub would be my choice.

rols16610

20/4/12
For me the 16600 to get as a gen, the most handsome modern sport watch of Rolex in my opnion
4sJ4TN8.jpg

+1 that looks stunning.

As the others have said get the one you like the best, if I was in a position to buy a gen at the moment I would go for the 16610, which is probably the most repped Rolex watch ever.

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
In my opinion, and this is backed up by our own guru BK, the one gen Rolex to buy is anything that has a 3185 or 3186 movement in it. That would be an Explorer II or a GMT Master II. You pick the flavor.

In terms of the bang for the buck, these 3185 and 3186 movements are stellar works of achievement and to get one of these as a gen is a no brainer. Any other model that has a time + date complication is hard to really compare with a well regulated and serviced ETA movement. They both tell the time and they both tell the date. Yes, obviously fit and finish and all of that is separate, but just in terms of the movement itself, you aren't getting anything more unique.

The 3185 and 3186 movements sell for the same price as other Rolex movements and yet the GMT complication is brilliant. It's remarkable and no other watch offers the same performance with a GMT. Start with one of those and then build a collection out from there.

Just my opinion. :)

lc125

Known Member
18/1/11
In my opinion, and this is backed up by our own guru BK, the one gen Rolex to buy is anything that has a 3185 or 3186 movement in it. That would be an Explorer II or a GMT Master II. You pick the flavor.

In terms of the bang for the buck, these 3185 and 3186 movements are stellar works of achievement and to get one of these as a gen is a no brainer. Any other model that has a time + date complication is hard to really compare with a well regulated and serviced ETA movement. They both tell the time and they both tell the date. Yes, obviously fit and finish and all of that is separate, but just in terms of the movement itself, you aren't getting anything more unique.

The 3185 and 3186 movements sell for the same price as other Rolex movements and yet the GMT complication is brilliant. It's remarkable and no other watch offers the same performance with a GMT. Start with one of those and then build a collection out from there.

Just my opinion. :)

Excuse me but you are so right on this one!
I agree with everything said above..

When I go gen I'm leaning towards the TT GMTc.. But this may change to stainless or even full gold:D

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e with Tapatalk

mt666tm

Renowned Member
2/2/10
I vote for a gen 16610. I have one for many years now and it's still my favorite watch of all time. I did install a DSSD clasp on mine as it's a nice improvement.

Rolex-Submariner-Date-16610.jpg