• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review Top Gun V2 vs V3 (lots of pics)

numero2

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/09
FR
Review Top Gun H-Factory vs V6-Factory (lots of pics)

Hi everyone,

Let’s go for a small review of H-Factory version vs V6-Factory version of the IWC Top Gun.
Excuse me for the spelling mistake, but English is not my native language.

Firstly it should be noted the names of manufacturers. After some investigation, it seems certain that (at least) two versions of this watch are available at the time I wrote these lines.
The name of Hublot Maker (= H-Factory) seems clearly identified. For the V6-Factory seems less obvious.
To put it simply and easily differentiate two versions we keep this name.
I apologize if the name of the facory is not good.

Why this review?
Well when I found out the V6-Factory, I shopped around on the forums to know what were the differences between the two versions and get an idea of which to choose (if the H is still available) . I did not find anything, hence the idea of this review.
If I missed something, do not hesitate to comment / complete this post.

Study area:
This review focuses solely on the comparison of the H vs V6-Factory and in no case with Gen. In fact, I never had the chance to own one even there to see one up close.
Also note that H is a rep that has been worn for a few months and the V6-Factory is new.

Where I get it :
H was bought last September from Tony.
When he saw the quality of the rep, my best friend, who lives in Switzerland, asked me to take one, that I made in January 2013, again from Tony.

On all pics, H and V6-Factory left to right.

1 / Case Back:

There are many differences though at first glance it is not obvious:
The depth of the engraving is good on two model and slightly deeper on H.
Entries are the same but the biggest characters on the V6-Factory and decentered with respect to the flat case.
Been looking at the serial number, the numbers and the police. Numbers are in italics on the V6-Factory.
The sticker shows a policy identical to the two models, but thinner on the V6-Factory. It is a constant of this review, the entire V6-Factory, fonts and numbers are thinner.
Finally, the red goes to orange for V6-Factory instead of H red firefighter. The colors are consistent on all the watches, on the two models.
The red horizontal lines of the sticker are best done on the V6-Factory, on the H, the ends of the lines are not square.

p2170004y.jpg

p2170010s.jpg

p2170011.JPG

1.1/ The inside of the case Back:

The quality of the engraving is very different. V6-Factory is much better. Entries are identical.
Against by the serial number does not match the V6-Factory, ok for H. It’s the same for the model type: 3789 on H, 3889 on V6-Factory.
Note the deposit of, I think burn, on V6-Factory. It's not dirt, it is embedded in the steel.

p2170014.jpg

p2170025u.jpg

p2170026z.jpg

2 / The Movement:

Nothing extraordinary here. 7750 seconds @ 9 as everyone know.
Antimagnetic protection is present. Much better adjusted to the V6-Factory. On H, I had to removed because it was rubbing on the rotor and reduced the autonomy of the watch.

p2170012g.jpg

p2050024u.jpg

p2050025.jpg

The inscriptions of the rotor are identical, but the finer H but more focused on the V6-Factory.
The movement of the H has no fine adjustment system to the inverse of the V6-Factory. I do not know if this is a peculiarity of my Rep or if it is present on all H. I thought all 7750 had this system.
Number (the IWC number movement I think) 417 738 is engraved on the H and V6-Factory not.

p2170022r.jpg

p2170024.JPG

3 / Strap:

That the V6-Factory is much better, more flexible, more comfortable, better finished. In addition, mine causes me eczema.
Entries are identical only the logo "OBA" that is not present on a portion of the V6-Factory.

p2170032.jpg

p2170033f.jpg

p2170034j.jpg

p2170035.jpg

4 / The buckle:

Again, advantage V6-Factory with good markings on the back, nothing for V2. The IWC logo engraving is deeper on the H. The material (titanium) is identical.

p2170042.JPG

p2170038.jpg

p2170036.jpg

p2170037.jpg

5 / The Top Gun logo:

This is one of the biggest flaw of this model. The color of the logo on the Gen is dark gray. The H comes with a white clear and perfectly applied. V6-Factory is closer to the Gen but it is not there yet. On this watch, application of the paint is not great.

p2170049.jpg

p2170046.JPG

p2170044.jpg

6 / crown

Titanium, streaks slightly more marked on the V6-Factory and bigger too. Crown H-Factory seems closer Gen.

p2180003m.jpg

p2180005u.jpg

7 / The dial:

As previously stated, the difference jumps to the eye is more finesse police on V6-Factory. Paradoxically, it is the H which is closest to the Gen on this point.

Another big flaw recognized H is the length of the nose of the plane on Factorythe second hand of the chrono. As you can see from the pics, the V6-Factory fixes it. Same for the color of the second hand more orange on the V6-Factory, which is closer to the Gen.
Streaks dials are marked on the V6-Factory but I think it comes from the paint, brighter on the V6-Factory.

For the rest, the two versions are identical, except that the background color is a bit darker on the V6-Factory (due to the brightness).

p2170050c.jpg

p2170053.jpg

p2170054n.jpg

p2170066.jpg

p2170063t.jpg

8 / AR

Here it’s equal. The AR is good, little blue and effective.

p2180007.jpg

p2170067.JPG

9 / The Lum

Advantage V6-Factory with indexes to 3/6/9/12 more marked they are more cream in natural light, but nothing nasty.
The lum is correct on the two versions, nothing more.

p2170072.jpg

Conclusion:

As you can see, the two versions are equal, each with advantages and inconvégniants.
In my case, I prefer the H-Factory for his "coherent" case back, but, honestly, V6-Factory seems closer to the Gen (strap, buckle, red color, nose of the plane ...).

I hope you enjoyed this review and gave you the urge to buy this beautiful Rep.

Aquilae

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/1/13
Great comparison review; something to take note(and this was apparent on mine as well) is that on the V3, the 6 o'clock marker is slightly angled off-center on some models and I'm hoping Speedy can correct that since the watch went to him pretty much a day after I received it for movement servicing. For the Top Gun logo I'm pretty certain that I'm just going to get paint thinner to black out the white paint to make it more in line with the all-black PVD look.

Santana

Horology Curious
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
11/2/13
I got a V3 from ToroBravo, everything is the same with the V3 example above, except that the buckle does not have any engravings in the back, just the IWC on the front...will that be an error on assembly or do different dealers get different versions of the same watch?

specialforce

27/5/12
Thanks for the info, I am on my way to pull the trigger.

However on Toro's site, the photo is not update, (e.g. the chrono second hand still the old one)

Also from mumero's photo, the V2 dial is matt compare to V3 semi gloss finish.

Am I just thinking to much?

12lurk

10/11/12
Thanks, i enjoyed that.
I have what i think is a V3 from Toro but the buckle has no engravings on back. Also the nose on the airplane is not as short as yours. However the sticker and case back is the same as your V3.
Perhaps these are assembled with what ever parts they have on hand so there may be a mix of v2 and v3.
In regards to comparison with the gen, I can add these shots that show my "v3" side by side with a large shot of a gen from a book published by an AD in Boston.
One observation is that the nose on the gen looks long not short, but the same as my V3.
TG1_zpsb733741d.jpg
[/IMG]
TG2_zps7b9dd063.jpg
[/IMG]

numero2

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/09
FR
In regards to comparison with the gen, I can add these shots that show my "v3" side by side with a large shot of a gen from a book published by an AD in Boston.
One observation is that the nose on the gen looks long not short, but the same as my V3.

Yes. If you compare your large shoot with the last pics of the part 7 of the review, i think you can say it's the same (and it's the V3)
When you look at the V2 pics, the color is wrong (too red) and the nose oversized.

Thanks for this large shoot :thumbsup:

numero2

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/09
FR
After some probleme with the "commercial" name V2 or V3, i upgrated this review with the name of the factory that build, at this time, this watch.
I've never heard about this factory (V6 ??), but it's the name that TD gave ; so excuse me if it's not good.

I do my best to clearify the situation about this watch i love and hope you can choose, now, the version which is the best for you.

Enjoy.

wild05kid05

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/1/11
Asian7750 (which is the most expensive of the two models on his website)
and Ryan (only this factory available).

Can you share the link to his site or pm it to me ? Thanks a lot :) great review btw.

Tapatalk.

GeDi

Renowned Member
5/2/13
What's interesting though is that in one dealer the V2 is more expensive than V1 , whereas on another dealer is actually cheaper

Webb

Horology Curious
3/1/14
There are 3 Top Gun watches on Asian7750.com which one is the V6 model you have,I'm guessing this the $328.00 one ?

Thanks