• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you tell your watchmaker it's a replica?

jakeslatnesky

31/7/10
I have a Panerai Fiddy, (Noob Factory, modded by Marlin; approximate overall cost 1200.00.) It's a masterpiece; gold leaf on lettering, super-lumed, OEM hands, OEM Face but it needs to be calibrated. My every instinct is to just tell him "it's a high-end modded replica". Or not say anything. What's the horologist etiquette on something like this. Some watch-makers won't touch it, some won't turn away business. How would you handle it?

flyr

Renowned Member
15/9/12
Remember what he does for a living, he will be working on the movement not your gen hands or dial. I believe if he is good enough for you to trust ,he will know what kind of movement he is working on. He will know whether you tell him or not. Use your instinct.Just my thoughts.

ichi

25/4/12
I think you should just scrap that build and sell it to me and buy a new 127 so you dont need to have it serviced. ;)

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
Tell him, saves him worrying if he should tell you its a rep!

All the watchsmiths I've met are just interested in the movements, they couldn't care less what the badge says.

korneevy

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
26/12/10
If he is any good, he would know pretty quick once he takes it apart so tell upfront

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

jakeslatnesky

31/7/10

n3tph4t

3/12/12
A well written question, sensible answers, a thankful OP and no disagreements. Sorry, I must be on the wrong forum. I thought this was RWI :D

jeffw69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/11
:lol: you think he won't know it's a rep the second he opens it up?

I agree, be honet and up front.

Good luck.

Naburus

2/12/12
Yes, I did tell the watch-smith that my PAM is a rep. No problem with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokiedabong

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/8/12
If your watch smith has never seen the gen, he doesn't know how it should look like so it would assume it's gen or fake based on the owner and build quality. We all heard the stories about watch smiths assuming a gen is fake and fake is gen cause they didn't knew how a model should look like.
I would give him all the details about the build. When I take my car to a service I like for the mechanic to know it has an upgraded transmission and other modifications before he puts the wrong oil an messes up the computer.

Mora

Horology Curious
27/12/12
He wins MONEY working On movements, I AM TALKING MY OWN EXPERIENCE, not problem To fix a Rep., if is a experimentes watchsmith...he WILL knows tell YOU or not.

Just calibrate, not need To DISSASEMBLE ALL watch, tell truht, because OF if not, watchsmith can send To Official Service for calibrating if he afraid broke a Genuine watch...

thinkcooper

Known Member
9/11/12
My old school local watchsmith is a great ally in this hobby. He has shared stories about ETA's history, about swatch's heavy handedness, about the Chinese acquistion of tooling and equipment enabling the exact replication of many former Swiss-only movements... He's a great resource. And he gets a kick out of the reps I've brought in for either full service or slight tuning. On the last visit, I brought in the new Noob Exp II for him to check out. His reaction? The Swiss are going to need to up their game if the replica makers are producing watches of that quality at that price. :)

I always tell him it's a rep if it's a rep.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
yup I tell mine up front. sometimes I am embarrassed to bring them to him, as I also bring my gens to him as well. He will work on both, because it's business to him either way. He doesn't advertise that he works on reps and I don't advertise to others that he does either.

14060 or 16610?

Renowned Member
2/3/07
Any good watchmaker will know it is a rep straight away. Most watchmakers, even the most honest and trustworthy ones, will work on both gen or rep, but do not want it advertised that they work on rep. Could affect how he is perceived by his customers. I mean, would you knowingly send your car to a chop shop for mechanical work? While a swapped engine or rims might be easily noticed, the average owner can't tell the difference between a $3,500 3135 movement and a $35 2824, especially once the caseback is on.

D

d4m.test

Tell him/her upfront, jake. As others have said, most watch repairs are honorable. Besides, telling him/her it's a rep saves them problems should something go wrong. Better yet, I was taught it's best to ask them if they work on reps first; that it's a rep and know the movements are not always top grade. Builds trust, which is what you want. My jeweler is family owned & works on my reps; I asked her first & she was cool with it.

dave

marlin2284

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
1/2/12
I have a Panerai Fiddy, (Noob Factory, modded by Marlin; approximate overall cost 1200.00.) It's a masterpiece; gold leaf on lettering, super-lumed, OEM hands, OEM Face but it needs to be calibrated. My every instinct is to just tell him "it's a high-end modded replica". Or not say anything. What's the horologist etiquette on something like this. Some watch-makers won't touch it, some won't turn away business. How would you handle it?

HMM:thinking:

Are you sure that it's one mine? I have never put on OEM dial and hands on any of the watches I have built?? And all my watches are regulated before they leave my hands...

Did you get the watch from me or aftermarket?

Is it my Swiss ETA or All Asian?

Are you in the US?

And lastly why didn't you contact me directly, so I could help?

And oh, PS honesty is the best policy always....:cheers:

jakeslatnesky

31/7/10
HMM:thinking:

Are you sure that it's one mine? I have never put on OEM dial and hands on any of the watches I have built?? And all my watches are regulated before they leave my hands...

Responded via PM. Your watches are the best modded PAMs in the world (IMHO). Losing a few minutes every few days, not your fault. Indeed, all your creations are delivered completely regulated and flawless.

jakeslatnesky

31/7/10
Thanks again to all who responded. Very grateful for your advice and thoughtfulness. All points are very well-considered and taken to heart. With respect to accuracy with regards to Marlin's work (I was in a hurry to ask the question), I am including the mods done on this watch although it's outside of the scope of the question. If you site an artists work, it's important to be accurate, especially if he catches you (and the watch is delivered completely regulated):

List of Mods:

1. ETA 6497-1 movement with ETA stamped and with damascening pattern (pearlage or engine turn) on baseplate front and back(this has to be engine turned and nickel plated then rhodium plated as they do not come with the baseplate decorated from ETA) Modded from low beat 18,000 to high beat 21,600 w/ Asian train.

2. Brushed and plated center, 3rd and 4th wheels

3. Changed ETA balance wheel for rep. for more gen. look

4. Brushed setting lever jumper like gen.

5. ETA polished ratchet and crown wheels

6. Replaced upper incabloc shock system with Y incabloc

7. Modded lower shock system

8. Replaced the old inaccurate hands with Gen. like superlumed hands

9. Flattened and polished cannon pin.

10. Replaced thin dagger regulator with thicker on e like gen.

11. Gold leaf text on movement, no more yellow paint

12. Flattened and polished cannon pin.

13. Cleaned, oiled, time regulated, and all seals are silicon greased