• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Where to find a 1680 Red best version?

Frédéric

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/12/12
Hi Guys,

Looking for a Submariner 1680 Red Best Version. Any advise of where to find?
Thanx

Fred
:steel:

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
That depends on your budget mate.

If you have lots of money then look at a Phong/Yuki build costing about $2.5k with gen movement. Or $1 to $1.5k for ETA movement build using Phong/Yuki. Or get an MWB base watch and get aftermarket dials etc for $800-$1000. Or get a Cartel 1680 with Yuki dial for about $600 or a Puretime version and just getting it modded/relumed for about $400-$500.

Or just get a Puretime or cartel and don't do anything to it at all for about $250.

farquar

7/2/08
^ That sure is THE rollie budgetmaker for dummies..Nicely put;

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12

If you have lots of money then look at a Phong/Yuki build costing about $2.5k with gen movement. Or $1 to $1.5k for ETA movement build using Phong/Yuki. Or get an MWB base watch and get aftermarket dials etc for $800-$1000. Or get a Cartel 1680 with Yuki dial for about $600 or a Puretime version and just getting it modded/relumed for about $400-$500.

Or just get a Puretime or cartel and don't do anything to it at all for about $250.

Nice one bonesy.

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Good info. :) Just to add, the Puretime will accept a gen crown as is with no need for a replacement tube. That's a plus. The lugholes are large enough for gen bars, so that's another plus. And the pearl is a good vintage pearl, no mods needed there, either. It comes with a gen lowbeat ETA 2846 so overall it's a great value. If you can pick one up when Angus is running one of his 5% off promotions you can get a really nice piece for a great price.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
But it wont accept a gen crystal without a lot of work unfortunately.

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Very true. If you are in the States you can send it to JMB and he will machine a custom stainless retainer ring for it. Then it will accept a gen or gen-spec from Clark. I learned that the hard way. My smith swapped in a Clark T-19 for me and it looked gorgeous for about a day. He carefully re-used the gasket that came with it, as this sometimes has worked for people in the past, but even with painstaking detail it still cracked the sh*t out of the crystal after a couple of days.

The only real solution is the custom ring from JMB or someone else, or live with the rep crystal.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Learned the hard way myself as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Debellum

Old and Famous
Patron
29/6/12
Italy

Right Rich ! ;)
From 250$ to 3.0K… :)
I've also wrote this ?
" What is your budget for the best 1680 ? "
This is the only question.
You can build how U want.

Cheers

Junio

The Raven King from Hell

Frédéric

18/12/12
Hi mates,

Ok, got it... Thanks a lot for the time spent. Great value with your answers.
I'm looking for a good rep to add mods.
I noticed Puretime as a great supplier for vintage models.

Once again, thanx to all of you.
Fred
:hangin:

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Of course, special thanx to Bonesey!
:thumbsup:

Be sure to give Bonesey reputation points for helping you. Scroll to the bottom of the post that you really appreciate and click on the little icon for the old fashioned weight scale. This opens up a window where you can type a comment and then click "submit" to give him reputation points. This shows up as additional green boxes in your avatar window. It helps give that person a pat on the back for assisting and you may also get points in return when you help others out. :)

tats

Renowned Member
8/5/12
I was just about to make a thread asking what are my options in making this watch I've been coveting on Chrono24

varadagu.jpg

Talk about timing

Great advice Bonesy

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Go for pure time if you don't plan on changing the dial or crystal. Go for the cartel versions if you want to change crystal and dial. Simples.

HarveyMushman

27/1/13
Go for pure time if you don't plan on changing the dial or crystal. Go for the cartel versions if you want to change crystal and dial. Simples.

Thank you- that's how I've thought of it as well. I'm leaning towards PT. It looks like the PT will accept a 702 crown with its stock tube- is this true?

Also, how accurate is the bezel insert on the PT?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
702, no, 703 yes it should.

There are so many variations and minor differences between bezel inserts i've never even been bothered by them. You'll need to do some research.

HarveyMushman

27/1/13
702, no, 703 yes it should.

There are so many variations and minor differences between bezel inserts i've never even been bothered by them. You'll need to do some research.

Thank you for clarifying 703. With respect to the bezel insert, it doesn't bother me so much. The lume dot is more important to me and I think PT does a fine job. Plus, the gens that went to RSC for service were often fitted with new bezel inserts with variation.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Yeah the pearl is the correct plexi pearl.