• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Pelagos and Black Bay: Reflections and Comparisons

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
Revolution Magazine has decided to honor the Tudor Heritage Black Bay with Best Watch Design, and the Tudor Pelagos with Ultimate Value in the 2012 Revolution Awards.

black_bay.png

pelagos.png

Both watches are made exceptionally well, with very precise bezel actions, and very well made bracelets. In general, the fit and finish on both watches is very good. The ceramic bezel with lume infused markers on the Pelagos is a very nice touch, as is the innovative clasp that allows for tool-free micro-adjustments (like a Glidelock clasp) together with a spring loaded mode that automatically adjusts to changes in the thickness of your wet suit due to changes in depth. On the Black Bay, the clasp lacks the tool-free micro-adjustments, but uses the more traditional spring bar based system that is seen on the older Submariners. The clasp uses spring loaded ceramic ball bearings to secure the latches, which is very secure, yet very smooth in its operation.

Having said this, these are two very different watches. The Pelagos is quite possibility the ultimate value in serious no-nonsense dive watches, and everything about it, from the matte finishing on the bracelet and case, matte dial, luminous bezel and large hour markers and snowflake hands, and the innovative clasp, are designed with a diver in mind. It is however extremely understated, and if you're looking for a bit of bling and flash in your tool watches, then you might be rather disappointed. Some people have commented that the watch doesn't look expensive, but I think that reflects the design choices that focus on a no compromise tool watch (without shiny and polished parts), and does not reflect on the quality of execution. There is a nice discussion of the Pelagos, with some nice photos here:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/my-new-tudor-pelagos-lots-pics-727526.html

The Black Bay is an attempt to evoke the feel of a vintage watch, but in a modern sized watch, with modern levels of quality construction and execution. I think collectors of vintage watches might be turned off by the faux vintage elements, like the burgundy bezel (intended to evoke the look of a faded bezel), rose gold surrounds on the hands and markers (intended to simulate patina), and the distressed leather strap. For me, I like the idea of a modern watch with a vintage feel, and a splash of color that gives it a rather unique character. I should note that even though the Black Bay uses an ETA 2824-2 movement, Tudor has modified it so that it is missing the middle stop that adjusts the date, since the watch does not feature a date. More generally, Tudor modifies their top grade ETA 2824-2 movements to replace the shock absorption with KIF, and the regulator with a Triovis fine-adjustment regulator. There's a nice review of the Black Bay:

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=196382

At the end of the day, I decided to keep the Black Bay because it's a fun watch that was relatively affordable for a watch with an excellent level of fit and finish, whereas the Pelagos was much too serious a dive watch that didn't fit well with my lifestyle.

DSC01125.jpg

DSC01132.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

DSC01133.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

DSC01389.jpg

DSC01395.jpg

And now for some comparisons of the Tudor Pelagos and Black Bay with some Rolex watches.

The Black Bay compared to the Rolex Ceramic Submariner 114060
DSC01416.jpg

The Pelagos compared with the SD and DSSD

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=247840

The photos from that thread for those who aren't TRF members.

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

This is a photo comparing the Pelagos and BB, so you might place the above thread in context.

DSC01569.jpg

Some other photo comparisons I found:

Compared to a GMT IIC
BB_GMTIIC_02_zps5af26ade.jpg

BB_GMTIIC_04_zpsc777ab2f.jpg

BB_GMTIIC_01_zpsbb568489.jpg

The BB on the different strap options
Tudor+Black+Bay+Trio+%25281%2529.jpg

Rudy40

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/10/12
I love them!
I can't wait for the Rep release!

Great post!

arcadia

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/11
The comparison was very helpful. Thanks for posting.

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
Excellent write-up, thanks very much. I find it really interesting when rep people review gen watches as I can relate much more easily to the points of reference they use.

I'm really interested in both of these watches as I'm just getting into Tudors and am interesting in how they are redefining the brand.

At first glance (and by that I mean looking at photos taken under studio lighting) the Black Bay immediately stood out to me as a stunning watch. I love vintage Rolexes and this really has some great features which hint at them; the slight dome on the crystal, the gilt ring of minute markers and text, and the pearl design. I really like the burgendy bezel insert and rose gold hands, and have read the dial looks even better in reality.

I hadn't discounted or ignored the Pelagos by any stretch of the imagination, however, as you say, it struck me as being a 'back to first principles' dive tool watch. What your photos really show is how understated it is, I really like the matt insert and uncluttered dial, they fit really well with the trademark 'squareish' Tudor case. From reading this review it now looks to me like the offspring of a Ceramic Sub and a JLC Master Compressor. This isn't intended as a slur by any stretch of the imagination, just shows how they have aimed to create something totally functional which exudes it's quality though it's simplicity, fit and finish, rather than 'bling'.

For me, the Black Bay is the one. I'm trying to decide if I'll just go straight for the gen or to wait and get the rep to ensure I like it... I'm hoping the rep will be on par with the Explorer II which the Noob factory has just released.

Thanks again,

Alex

PostCycle

Horology Curious
30/1/13
Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I'm new here. Is the Black Bay rep available yet? I haven't seen it on the sources provided by the "trusted dealers" area of this page.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I'm new here. Is the Black Bay rep available yet? I haven't seen it on the sources provided by the "trusted dealers" area of this page.

There's currently a Black Bay replica in the works, but it's still in the prototyping stage and won't be released for a few months.

slask111

26/7/08
Love them both. Both will be in my collection some day. Rep or gen.

Thnx for the writeup, nice reading :)

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Thanks for the write up honeybear, the black bay looks so good in those pics, can't wait to see this rep released.