• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Sub Back Removal

blcbob

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/1/11
Ive tried removing the back of my cheap rolex sub using the gaffer tape method . and it does not even budge. is there any other method to getting these backs off.. HELP..:cheese:

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
images

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Tape ball, case ball, or proper tool (not the hammer and chisel of course).

cwazy1

29/2/12
yeah i couldnt get my noobsub's CB off with tape either the first time I did it...

I had to use a ball.

DenisSpa

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
14/6/12
wrap the tape around a balled up paper towel...

(sticky side out*, Just cause people do dumb sh*t sometimes)

it will give better grip and always works for me :)

Zack Morris

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/10
Oregon
Sometimes you need the tool, unfortunately. If someone has torqued the hell out of the case back, it isn't going to come off with the ball/tape method. If you want to risk damaging the case back and cutting yourself, you can try a pair of scissors as a desperate measure. If they are really solid scissors (like hair cutting scissors), it can work. *Don't try this at home.*

davylloyd

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/10
If you don't want to buy the tool, and the gaffer tape / duct tape method really won't do it, try this -

1. Grease the back of your watch with silicon grease / petroleum jelly. Not too thick, but be thorough and work it into the 'grooves' that the proper tool grips.

2. Get some car body filler - Isopon / Plastic Padding / whatever they have in your country. Mix up a ball that's just big enough to cover the back of your watch, and keep mixing it until it begins to stiffen - this will insure that it doesn't ooze or run onto the lugs / crown etc.

3. Leave to harden for the required amount of time and then pop it off, then clean up the the grease from the back of your watch.

4. Voila - your own case back tool. :woot:

blcbob

10/1/11
Thanks Guys
But i forgot i had this Tool and yes its worked. as you can see the markers have become detached from the face. so now i need to remove the crown to get at the face. If im wrong please let me know as im only a beginner in all this strip down stuff.
Regards
blcbob

davylloyd

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/10
Be VERY careful when removing the crown and stem from A21J movements, depress the stem release button only just far enough to do the job and no more, otherwise you'll screw up the keyless works. Ask me how I know.

HINT - the search function is your friend.

blcbob

10/1/11
Thanks
But where is the release button. can i not just unscrew the crown and leave the stem in place
blcbob

davylloyd

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/10
Here's a picture from a build I did on a vintage sub with an A21J movement. The pin is pointing at the stem release. Not a good idea to try to unscrew the crown from the stem with the movement in situ, you risk breaking the stem.
P1030071.jpg

blcbob

10/1/11
Ok the Stem is removed. just a slight push on the release button and it came out.. whats the procedure for putting it back..
Great help by the way . now i know why i joined this site..

blcbob

10/1/11
As you can see this is the Rolex sub strip down so far. I have managed to relocate the markers back on the face. This has been a very interesting little repair. and as price angels do not accept returns they gave me no choice but to have a go. Anyway its been well worth it so far. you may have noticed ive managed to find a replacment pearl for my bezel as it was missing when delivered. i found this on a very cheap broken plastic watch my son does not use anymore. Tomorrow i will try and reasemble the sub .Thanks for all the Help so far..
blcbob

ichi

25/4/12
If you don't want to buy the tool, and the gaffer tape / duct tape method really won't do it, try this -

1. Grease the back of your watch with silicon grease / petroleum jelly. Not too thick, but be thorough and work it into the 'grooves' that the proper tool grips.

2. Get some car body filler - Isopon / Plastic Padding / whatever they have in your country. Mix up a ball that's just big enough to cover the back of your watch, and keep mixing it until it begins to stiffen - this will insure that it doesn't ooze or run onto the lugs / crown etc.

3. Leave to harden for the required amount of time and then pop it off, then clean up the the grease from the back of your watch.

4. Voila - your own case back tool. :woot:

this is actually a really good idea, they have that grey puddy that hardens like steel. bet that would work...

davylloyd

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/10
this is actually a really good idea, they have that grey puddy that hardens like steel. bet that would work...

It does, I did it once before to open a Breitling before I had any case tools.

davylloyd

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/10
Ok the Stem is removed. just a slight push on the release button and it came out.. whats the procedure for putting it back..
Great help by the way . now i know why i joined this site..

Re-case the movement making sure to align the hole for the stem with the hole in the casing. TAKE A DEEP BREATH! Re-insert the stem and crown whilst gently rotating the crown clockwise (as though you're winding it).

8 times out of 10 it will re-engage this way. If it doesn't, depress the stem release button lightly, as you did whilst taking it off, and re-insert the stem.