• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you or have ever felt embaressed about wearing a replica?

davylloyd

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/10
The only way I can imagine being embarrassed about wearing a rep is if I was trying to pretend it was a gen and caught out.

If I did that, I'd deserve to be embarrassed.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Sometimes when I wear a flashy blingy rep of a very recogniseble $20.000+ watch in my cheap comfy shorts and shoes, but then I look at the amazing watch and I don't give a shit anymore.

You'd be surprised. I know a few people who will go to Starbucks in the morning, in shorts, sandals and a $50k watch. :lol:

iggypop

I'm Pretty Popular
27/9/12
But my having my five year old daughter with me at the time was my primary concern.

N2FEP1_zpscc396427.gif

Zack Morris

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/10
Oregon
Wear the watch for yourself because you like watches. I build my own reps and am happy to tell people that they are "built from service parts and have a Swiss ETA because I refuse to get screwed on exorbitant repair costs just because they put the word Rolex on the movement." Most people are amazed and want me to build one for them.

I personally don't wear gens I can't afford but have known people who have received nice pieces from family and wear them delivering pizzas. The majority of folks on TRF are just regular people, not wildly successful bankers. If this were the target demo, you wouldn't see a Rolex dealer in every mall in the country.

Many people buy Rolexes that can't afford them, and even if you can afford to buy them, it isn't a particularly sound financial decision. I have wasted so much money on luxury items and now I drive an old dirty Camry as kind of an "FU" to this debtor society we glorify, and am probably the wealthiest of my peers.

Frankly, I am happy for the kid. If you are really upset over some rich kid's 1675 (which is a hell of a good choice), find solace in the fact that 90% of the rich kids I grew up with either live at home, live in a home paid for by their parents, are still in college a decade later, and are unemployed, miserable people (often alcoholics or junkies, many of my "silver spoon" friends are dead from overdoses) who have no skills or future aside from waiting for their parents to die. They are also largely dim and extremely entitled and hyper-Conservative even though they've never paid a cent in taxes.

So don't feel jealous or unsuccessful because you can't afford something that is heavily marketed as the solution to existential problems and a symbol of success when it, let's face it, is just a severely overpriced chunk of metal that isn't as accurate as your phone and only 1 out of 100 will recognize as a "nice watch" and only 1 out of 1,000 will know the model, and 1 out of 10,000 would have enough knowledge to identify it as a rep, and even less who are insane enough to say, "Sir, after careful inspection and a few hours in my archives, I have determined your watch is entirely fake."

Wear it, be happy with it, and, seriously, screw anyone who gives you a hard time, assuming that EVER HAPPENS.

For your health!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
You'd be surprised. I know a few people who will go to Starbucks in the morning, in shorts, sandals and a $50k watch. :lol:

I know a few people who will go to a local noodle stall in the morning, wearing shorts and sandals, unbathed, and no watch, but when they get back to their car, you would be surprised they drive ferraris and lamborghinis... :D

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Yeah, that was my point. Can't always judge the book by it's cover. I know the opposite as well. I have a friend who travels the world, eats at the finest restaurants etc. In the 8 years i've known him, he has never not used his AMEX to pay for something. Very sad.

Zack Morris

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/10
Oregon
Yes, you never know. I know a billionaire with a capital B in LA who chairs the main contributory committee for UCLA and he drives a 3 series. The millionaires I know drive Camry Hybrids, Ford F-150s, or maybe an LS430 or a Hyundai Genesis. This is why they are fantastically wealthy and Mike Tyson is broke. "By the time you can afford it, the car (or watch) ain't important."

Zack Morris

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/10
Oregon
Yeah, that was my point. Can't always judge the book by it's cover. I know the opposite as well. I have a friend who travels the world, eats at the finest restaurants etc. In the 8 years i've known him, he has never not used his AMEX to pay for something. Very sad.

I wish we could shout this from the rooftops. If someone looks and acts rich, it is far more likely that they are living from paycheck to paycheck and no more than a few months away from the street if they lose their 6 figures. The people in a $20,000 car, ironically, are more likely to be wealthy than the guy paying $1,200 payments for 72 months on his E63 that he'll be bored with in 8 months.

I am certain of this and it took me 15 years and half a million in debts to figure it out.

For the love of God, enjoy the watch but don't buy into the lifestyle, because it is unsustainable and empty.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I like the lifestyle and such. But I learned in the late 90's that credit is the devil. I have two credit cards that I keep for FICO reasons. I taught myself to pay cash for anything I buy, or wait. One of the worst feelings in the world, is to make a decent paycheck, and see it fly right out of your account, and into a credit card company's wallet.

jd01449

I'm Pretty Popular
20/2/12
Funny you should ask this as I caught myself being a hypocrite yesterday. I am an avid sneaker collector and I saw a lot of fakes yesterday, even videos on modding them to make them closer to gen. I thought to myself, what would motivate someone to mod a shoe? Then I caught myself and dismissed that thought.
I can't afford any gen version of my reps,maybe a breitling SA. But I do not wear them for other people, I just like them. I don't feel embarrassed because I am always upfront about my reps and my circle of friends don't know or care about watches. I am still waiting for the day to be called out especially since I work in midtown Manhattan, but I don't really care about it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Zack Morris

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/10
Oregon
Yes, exactly. Spend $20 on the poorly written but financially sound book, "Total Money Makeover." It really woke me up and inspired me to dump my gens and car payment and stop living like I just won the lottery.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
. I have wasted so much money on luxury items and now I drive an old dirty Camry as kind of an "FU" to this debtor society we glorify, and am probably the wealthiest of my peers.

Hehhh heehh.. Get some class man. drive a beat up old pos first gen Lexus es300 like mine, where the suspension is not working, the fuel door is busted, the rear door locks are busted, the leather seats are torn in the seams, the valve gaskets are leaking. Even Lexus is refusing to service my car now.

I don't like to show off what I have albeit not much, but modesty is the richest form of wealth.

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
I've only owned four reps in my life all being Rolex. But I was watching a youtube video of a Rolex GMT Master II 1675? And the owner was 16. I'm honestly thinking its a replica because I don't believe a 16 year old would save up to buy a Rolex. Most work or save up for a car. I didn't ask if it was fake didn't want to start a fight with the kid. But I assumed it was a present from his parents? Here I am at 27 and can't afford a real Rolex or any other highend watch. Even if I saved up I'll still be short a few grand.
Thank god for replicas and homages lol.

It's possible. No mortgage, no kids, no insurance payments, free room and board. Parents may pay for his car and gas. If the kid is a part time waiter plus he gets allowance... I don't see how he can't afford it if he's truly into watches.

Depending on the GMT Master 1675 it can be had anywhere from $2.5k to $5k.

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
I'm not embarrassed ever. I'd gladly tell people about my rep hobby if they were interested.

Celt

Renowned Member
12/4/10
When I first bought a rep I was like "how cool this watch is!" Then I started paying more attention to details and I was more like "I'm sure that a lot of people could find out that it is a rep"... I then bought a gen and guess what, there were no fireworks :) in the end it remains just "a watch". Since then I feel way more confident wearing reps!

D

d4m.test

Nope! I love them and found them to be fun to wear. I try to stay with reps of gens I could actually afford -- even if I had to save money to purchase one. As an aside, I have LOTS, heh!

dave

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
I have never been embarrassed to wear a rep, but I would be embarrassed to wear certain gens. I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was foolish enough to pay $12,000 for a stainless steel watch with a $300 Valjoux movement inside.

carlosjonez

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/11/12
When I first bought a rep I was like "how cool this watch is!" Then I started paying more attention to details and I was more like "I'm sure that a lot of people could find out that it is a rep"... I then bought a gen and guess what, there were no fireworks :) in the end it remains just "a watch". Since then I feel way more confident wearing reps!

Brilliant post. This is where i am now. Just looking at 2nd hand gen Omega PO (just to get one). May just get a brand new quality "swiss" ETA rep now...