• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Movement Discussion

Confidente

28/10/12
To begin, I am not entirely new here, but i found this area most appropriate for my questions.

I am looking to buy my second rep and i cannot decide on a movement. My first rep was a green noobsub with a 2813. I understand this movt is on the cheaper end of the spectrum. I am debating if i want to buy a nicer movement, perhaps an ETA or clone. I am aware that more expensive peices often come with better case construction and saphire instead of mineral crystal.

I know the 2813 is a low beat movement, but i dont mind the way the second hand sweeps. Is the 2836 a large upgrade? I find myself very satisfied with my noobsub.

Assuming case construction is constant, would it be a good idea to pay more for a better movt?

I have been looking at a DDII for a long time now, is that a watch that would be better off with a more expensive movt?

Any and all input is appreciated. Thank you very much!

DocEdelschick

I'm Pretty Popular
15/9/12
im not a huge fan of trying to find the "BEST" 1:1 rep, but I love watching my watch smooth seconds hand tick with the 2836. As many would recommend here, go with the Asian Clone. You will save yourself, on some watches, 100.00. Others about 60. But the construction for these is fairly similar. Once you get a single high beat watch, you start to change your collection. I know you are only getting your second rep. Hope that information help.

Confidente

28/10/12
Doc, what movements do you have in your Yachtmaster and DSSD?

I think i might go for it this time around

DocEdelschick

I'm Pretty Popular
15/9/12
Ive got a 2836-2 in the YM and a 4813 in the SSD which is a 21J that was regulated to run at 28,800. Both are great.

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I'm a big fan of the 2836-2, runs really smoothly and the rotor is quiet (if lubricated) compared with the 2813.

As Doc said, go with the Asian clone for a winning combination of price and reliability.

cwazy1

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/2/12
Actually, doc has a 3135 clone in his SSD, which is a clone of the rolex cal. 3135... its a much better movement and very expensive too (more so than a 2836/24 asian clone)

I would definitely go with the better movement. Clone only though... ETA 2836/24's are not worth it because half the time you're going to get a mixed asian/clone movement with parts all over the place.

Confidente

28/10/12
OK thanks for the input. Do you know anything about the Day Date movement in particular?

cwazy1

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/2/12
well its the same clone2836 that they use in there.. its a great movement, but of course some people who are unfortunate, experience some problematic issues, but they all get resolved.

I'd get the asian clone over the 21J.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
21js are not worth it unless you just want to try out a particular model.

The second hand sweep is so much better on the high beats. It really is.