• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Worth it to Franken Omega SMP 300?

ratpatrolteam01

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
10/12/10
Hey guys,

I got a SMP 300 for $110 with "Swiss" ETA movement.

I was wondering if it's worth it to franken it.
I already bought a replacement bezel + pearl for 20 bucks or so in eBay (Watchrepairusa i think from Texas)

So I thought it'd be kind of cool to get the correct length hands (all three set) which is $85 and a genuine crown for correct crown length; which adds about another $60 and I need to mention that service fee is unknown right now.

The catch is, the hand set is something that Ofrei + CousinsUK don't even have so that's why I'm wondering...

This watch already has a correctly placed "HE" Valve position. so I was wondering if I should go all out? Maybe in the future a gen HE Valve crown

Thanks guys.

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
Sourcing gen parts for a midsize 300m Bond will be difficult to do. Aside from buying a rep insert and installing a gen pearl, I think your stuck. You can certainly find crowns and stuff, but the dial, hands and crystal will be a challenge...

ratpatrolteam01

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
10/12/10
I already found hands, and it looks like it might be a one time opportunity (or rare).

I think I'll leave the crystal alone. The dial is available at Ofrei and Cousin; the mid-size ones too.

What do you think about the watch overall for starting? Is it even worth it

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
Honestly, if a SMP speaks to you sufficiently to fraken it, I would just save my money and look for a nice preowned example.

sawalke4

I'm Pretty Popular
16/1/08
Looks like a nice SMP and wont be called out, especially with an older model. I would leave it as is and enjoy it for the nice rep it is.

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
It's a nice watch, I would probably keep it stock. Once you start changing out rep parts to gen it will never stop. Your $300.00 budget will end up doubling.

When you get the hands installed the lume will bother you. Your going to want to buy a gen dial or at least relume the watch. The cheap aftermarket insert you bought on eBay will later bother you because the blue is all wrong or the pearl position is off. Lol your basically falling into the same trap that we all did.

Mid-size SMPs on the bay go for reasonable prices. I would just go gen and not worry about all the other @&$@ :)

My 2 cents...

ratpatrolteam01

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
10/12/10
You're right.

I'd probably want to get it relumed, if I install the hands. But I don't think I'll get a new dial for it though.

HE Valve, crown, hands and a relume is all I'd probably do. Which would probably cost $400. and that's sort of ridiculous for me.

I already bought a Trevor DSSD along with this too. So I'll just keep this stock and keep both.

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Good call. Reps like TC subs and PO's are good cases to mod. The gens are all +$2,500.00 (Subs +$4,000.00) and you can build almost flawless frankensteins for under $1,500.00.

The gen SMPs juggle around the $1,000.00 mark, I would stick it out with your rep as is and go gen if you really like it.

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I bought a gen SMP300 and was initially looking at the mid-size before I tried one on and realised it was a little bit small for me.

While I was looking around, I did notice that the mid-size does go for a bit less than the 42mm, typically about 30%.

I don't know what they go for in the US, however, in the UK you could fairly easily pick one up for about $1000 which, although maybe twice what you'd pay to franken a rep, it will hold (or increase) its value unlike the majority of reps.

I paid £900 for my gen and could flip it for £1200 now as the SMP300 has become more sought after.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
OP, where did you get the rep? Is it an old one? Long time since I've seen good cases with proper He position and good crownguards. Looks good! ...but as said above, smps are a tough cookie when it comes to the franken or not question. Unless it is the perfect old closed factory case and you get all gen parts cheap then it isn't worth it vs smp used quartz price for instance.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
My opinion too is not to spend a lot of money on that. Gen mid size one go for really reasonable prices.

Well if you manage to find the parts at low cost then be my guest of course... I cant say no to a franken.

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
hmm just buy a genuine bezel insert to save all the hassles like what I did,
otherwise try to score a used GEN midsize smp 300 man.

BR,
Jes

ratpatrolteam01

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
10/12/10
I got the watch from a member. I believe mid-size reps in general are very rare and this one has the correct HEV Valve!