• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gift Watch for Father

ElChe

Known Member
5/2/12
I am looking at different reps for my dad for Christmas, but I am having a hard time finding the perfect fit.

He likes the look of the classics made by Omega (which he owns a vintage 18k gold Gen) and Rolex. He also likes the function of an Automatic.

I've been looking at a lot of different obvious choices: Milgauss, Date Just II, Sub Mariner. I just don't know what to get him. I'm not set on Rolex or Omega or anything else. Just looking for some help.

Some things to know about my dad:

1. He's a 76-year-old super classy Spaniard
2. Distinguished beard of Hemmingway
3. The brain of Carl Jung
4. Sings like Pavarotti
5. Has enough friends and family with Gens it has to be a close Rep.

Any ideas?

watchman12345

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/06
Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons (and I know this is a rep forum) but I got this recently and it's very nice...

tissot-visodate-1957_2_zps281ff208.jpg

eastfields

Known Member
9/4/12
can i recommend a patek, or a jaeger le coutre , some nice cheap ones at priceangels and a bit rarer than a rolex or omega. have a look at their site and good luck. one point to mention is that delivery can take up to 4 weeks from them. eastfields.

karesz501

I'm Pretty Popular
10/8/10
European Union
can i recommend a patek, or a jaeger le coutre , some nice cheap ones at priceangels and a bit rarer than a rolex or omega. have a look at their site and good luck. one point to mention is that delivery can take up to 4 weeks from them. eastfields.

PA??? You kinda joking, right? The guy asked for a CLOSE REP, those watches look stunning replicas for anyone a bit interested in watches....

There is a nice Sea Dweller on the market, it is even superlumed, pretty decent watch for the money.
The new no date ceramic submariners look pretty spot on IMO as well.
The new 'ultimate' explorers are practically look identical to a gen if you do not have trained eyes.
5th gen OMEGA Planet Oceans are damn good reps, worth a look, but go for the black&white monochrome version.

All these are carried by our TD-s, and all are sport watches, but very classy at the same time. I'd spend some money on decent reps for my father (he just received an AP diver v2 from me), giving something which screams FAKE and him being called out is the last thing I'd like to happen. Just my 2 cents...

Ballface

20/6/12
To be honest I bet it would be quite tough for him to admit that he's wearing a rep since he has friends and family with gens. If he doesn't know it would be a different matter, of course ;) He'll probably keep that vintage Omega for special occasions, I'ma recommend something casual and stylish:

Tag Heuer Link Chrono (rep box sets can be had as well)

Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Tissot PRC 200 (the gen can be had for cheap and is really good value, it's quartz though which might affect your decision)

ElChe

Known Member
5/2/12
These are all great suggestions! I had looked at one time at Patek and Jaeger but many are too fantasy. Although some are close, a 70K Gen watch would not be in my father's budget so it would draw too much attention. Like Karesz said, the last thing I would want to have happen is to have him be embarrassed by wearing it.

The thing is, my dad has always soap-boxed for Gens until he saw my watches and how much I knew about them. He finally, upon seeing my DSSD, decided he wanted a Rep for his next watch to wear around.

I like the COnstellation and the Vacheron...nice looking. Also the Rolexes mentioned by Karesz are solid.

Anything else you would recommend?

Billio

I'm Pretty Popular
15/4/09
Would he like the vintage rolexs? That tissot looks great!

olleyjp

Known Member
10/4/12
What about a Hublot Classic Fusion 45mm? I have this in black and white on a steel bracelet, and very slim, very plain and very classy. Really nice to wear as a daily. A lot lighter to wear than a UPO 45mm as well. And face is near perfect to Gen and around 6-8k gen price IIRC so not too bad.

Plus box etc from Puretime is gorgeous! :D

Photos and linky;

http://puretime.co/product/classic-fusion-45mm-black-dial-a2813/

HBB-2012-09-08-01_enl.jpg

Or any of the classic fusion watches. :D

Fiveostang

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/11/12
This might not be what yo had in mind and I don't know your budget but you said he likes vintage right? You can grab some really nice pieces on eBay for well under a grand GEN. I know there are some solid gold omegas and the like floating around in $500ish range. Hope it helps.

ElChe

Known Member
5/2/12
Im digging the Hublot Fusion Classic and the Sinn 6100 Classic (I might like the Technik for myself :) )

I am also still thinking about the Date Just II, but those other two are definitely on the list. Much rarer and very stylish.

Any others?

grejyedi

29/12/11
A lot of these watches are over 40mm.

If you are 76 and a classical dresser these watches would not really suit.

How about an Explorer I (36 or 39) - nice slim classical looking watch.

eastfields

Known Member
9/4/12
i guess its a matter of-you pay your money and take your choice, i have a gen gold rolex daydate that i wear at weekends/special occasions, and a cheap yachtmaster (£70) and a cheap (£60) patek that i wear as daily beaters. eastfields

ElChe

Known Member
5/2/12
I went with a Day-Date II in SS with a Silver face and Roman Markers from Marvellous.

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
I went with a Day-Date II in SS with a Silver face and Roman Markers from Marvellous.

Nice watch but the gen is about $30,000 and white gold, doesn't that make it possibly risky if friends etc have gens

ElChe

Known Member
5/2/12
Yea, it's an expensive Gen. But in my fam they won't second guess 30k. They will figure he got a deal because they know he's cheap. He has money, but would never spend it on a watch these days. Doesn't mean he hasn't...he's gotten progressively stingier and frugal as he's aged. :)

md2020

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
26/7/12
I would say go for the datejust 2, it has a classy manly look but also can pull off the sport look as well, and they look really good. Go for the blue dial with stick markers or the sliver one. :thumbup: whatever you get him Im sure he'll love it.