• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HOW TO: Replace broken dial feet with dial stickers

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Hello RWI,

While working on the keyless works on the movement of my PAM 00176M I managed to break off one of the two dial feet holding the dial in the movement. :facepalm:

P1000012.jpg

Sucks big time as the dial won't be tight enough and will move inside the case with only one foot adjusted. :frusty:

Well, what could I do? Replacement dial for some $$ or get some dial stickers of the bay for far less and give it a try :)

This Tutorial is, as always, only for the pleasure of our RWI members and will not be posted elsewhere. :cheers:

The work will take you about an 30-40 minutes for experienced members and maybe 60-70 minutes for noobs. This can easily be done by noobs btw.

You will need:

- clean work surrounding
- dial stickers from the bay or cousins or ofreis - I recommend round ones 3mm
- jewelers screw drivers
- fine tweezers
- loupe
- rodico
- sticky ball
- air cleaner
- some clean deposit for the parts
- one or two work pads
- hand removers and hand pressers

P1000011.jpg

On we go :)

Step one:
Disassemble the watch; that is Crown Guard, Crown, Caseback, movement, hands and dial. How to disassemble? Here: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/how-swap-pam-98610

Step two:
Clean backside of the dial and the top side of your movement with Rodico ( see pics ). This is very important as we need the surfaces fat free! (I recommend to use some latex gloves while working too - without powdering of course ;) )

P1000014.jpg

P1000013.jpg

P1000015.jpg

...and yes, my wife told me too, the rodico looks like a "schlong". Totally unintentional :lol1:

Step three:
Now we get to use our dial stickers. I decided to use three. One near the opening for the missing foot, one near the opening of the working foot and one on the bottom part. The three stickers should form a triangle. In this way the height of the stickers will spread over the entire dial diameter.

Take off the stickers ( they are of course sticky both sided ) from the paper holder gently with your tweesers and gently place them on the movement. Do not yet press them to hold! Just place them where you want them.

Now you will have to gently take of the protective film of the stickers. Be gentle and use your tweeszers. It is essential that you do not hurt the stickers here as they will not hold properly later!

P1000016.jpg

P1000017.jpg

P1000019.jpg

Step four::
Align the movement to make sure you can put on the dial again properly.

P1000020.jpg

P1000021.jpg

Step five:
After gently replacing the dial we need to put some pressure on the dial to connect to the dial stickers. To align use the Cannon Pin sticking out. Use the Rodico here again and press for like a 10 seconds. Check if it holds!
Use Rodico because possible fingerprints on the dial suck :lolcina:

P1000023.jpg

Step six:
Now secure the one dial foot left with the dialholder screw.

P1000024.jpg

Step seven:
Reassemble the watch. Before doing so be sure you cleaned the crystal from the inside and cleaned the caseback crystal from the inside too. Make sure the dial ist fat and dust free and that the hands are properly aligned at twelve. Use an air blower to get rid of possible dust. Be sure to tighten the caseback with a sticky ball or a case back tool.
How to reassemble?: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/how-swap-pam-98610

P1000025.jpg

P1000027.jpg

P1000030.jpg

P1000031.jpg

Step eigth:
Remount your strap an enjoy your repaired dial/ watch again :)

The stickers are holding fine for what I did above and the dial is as tight on the movement and in the case as it would be with both dial feet secured. Dial stickers do work fine :maty:

P1000034.jpg

P1000036.jpg

P1000037.jpg

Thanks for looking erveryone.

Cheers

co-ax

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Nice tutorial P! I must get some tools, i am getting really jealous lately lol

mymanmatt

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
18/10/12
Very nice. I must say, the only problem I have with the dial stickers, is that over time, they will spread under the dial from the pressure of the mounting ring or tabs, certainly not a problem with this paticular setup. Well done

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Great work - thank you for taking the time to put the tutorial together as well!

-OW

moscamara

Horology Curious
6/12/15
Great work - thank you for taking the time to put the tutorial together as well!