• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How good is TC's Sub datewheel font?

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
I think we all agree that TC's Sub is the best out-of-the-box 16610/LV rep going (especially with a gen insert slapped on it!). To my eyes the only possible tell is the slightly bold date wheel font - is it me or is the gen slightly different? Is it worth getting BK's overlay as a replacement or should I stop whinging and get on with wearing it...

rols16610

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/4/12
Not seen the BK one, but the TC V2 is much better than the V1 from what I have seen from the photos, mine came with the V2 installed.

attachment.php

And here is a photo of it with a Clarks crystal installed.

DSC_3051_zps9a00a49f.jpg

Would be interested to see some BK ones for comparison.

Ephry73

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/11
It's very good. Tricky to line up though. Once lined up, it looks decent. you really cannot appreciate the raised font and serifs on the picture I took, but you get the idea. The dial in the picture is a TC 16610 dial with the V2 DWO on an aftermarket case(non-TW)View attachment 8771

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Thanks guys - mine is also the v2 DW. It is ever-so-slightly left justified (but that's being extremely fussy).

So with a gen insert it is pretty much indistinguishable from gen?

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
I actually substituted my V2 TC dw with BK's. IMO the fonts are slightly left justified on TC's and lining them up wasn't working. I installed BK's in one shot and now every date is centered.

TC's printing does rock because its raised and glossy, but take a look at BK's printing, the font may not be raised but it does have a gloss to it as well...

When I line up my Sub with my father in laws gen Sub and DJ, I can't even tell the difference between gen dw etc etc...

If I get a chance to take some decent photos ill post them.

Ephry73

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/11
There will always be tells. The fact that it says Rolex right on the dial will be the first giveaway.

I say, as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Mine has:
Gen spec case(correct height of crown/tube and rehaut for a 3035 movement)
Gen insert(changed the pearl to an SL pearl to match the TC dial an hands)
Clark's crystal
Gen crimped 703 crown and tube
Gen 93150 with after market end links(hard to find the gen ones for a decent price)
Looks and feels like a damn gen, but there will always be skeptics

Next on the list is to finish the gem movement and dial swap and go back to the oxidized tritium pearl for the 16800 build.

That said, the V2 is much better than the V1, but have not been able to compare to a BK overlay.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
pjsyaer, I think it looks great, I wouldn't spend another cent on it, keep your funds, you have a great looking watch there.:sub4me:

rol_man

Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
+1 to not changing anything PJ, looks great as is!

Watchman215

Known Member
12/2/12
Date mag is more magnified then gen on TC. You can have someone swap date mag from Clark or go gen crystal.

arcadia

11/8/11
V2 is far better than V1. BK is more centered. But I wouldn't change the V2 just yet before one takes care of the other more important things. Me and my gen friends look at a sub with these priorities:

1. SEL fit (very obvious seating from one another). Thank God for TC v3.
2. Wokky rehaut.
3. Fat CG.
4. Insert and pearl.
5. Crown.
6. Magnification.
7. Case thickness (here in Asia, so many are thick).
8. Lume for 16610.

Once you handle it, the 'roughness' of the tube is a tell. Then the clockwise turn of the movement (obviously). Etc..

The dw justification is far below for a minority Wis to notice. Honestly, I'd save up for another gen instead. But if you already have a better dw, then put it in ;)

Muaitai

6/5/12
Of what I been reading BK DW is the best one, TC DW2 is good but some of the numbers seems to have some indentation.

Muaitai

6/5/12
1. SEL fit (very obvious seating from one another). Thank God for TC v3.
2. Wokky rehaut.
3. Fat CG.
4. Insert and pearl.
5. Crown.
6. Magnification.
7. Case thickness (here in Asia, so many are thick).
8. Lume for 16610.

I see a lot of people replacing the crown & tube with gen, sorry for my noobness but I don't see that much difference, how does a gen crown & tube improves the watch?

Ephry73

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/11
I see a lot of people replacing the crown & tube with gen, sorry for my noobness but I don't see that much difference, how does a gen crown & tube improves the watch?

The action of the crown( how smooth and how steady it feels when turning it, as well as how smooth it feels when locking it, not to mention and extra two o-rings is well worth the upgrade. That said, some of the aftermarket crowns and tubes are just as good(TC and BK have really good units for very reasonable prices)

It's up to the person who wears it..

arcadia

11/8/11
For the TC, personally, no need to change the crown.

The above 'how to tell gen sub' is a general way of checking them out from someone who has seen Chinese rep subs way to often i.e. from the cheapest to the most expensive.

replica_noob

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/3/12
The dwo alignment is not an obvious tell unless you hand the watch over to the person for close inspection and by then, the alignment is no longer an issue since there are other more obvious tells when inspecting the watch up close e.g. sec hand, direction to adjust hands etc.

Muaitai

6/5/12
The action of the crown( how smooth and how steady it feels when turning it, as well as how smooth it feels when locking it, not to mention and extra two o-rings is well worth the upgrade. That said, some of the aftermarket crowns and tubes are just as good(TC and BK have really good units for very reasonable prices)

It's up to the person who wears it..

Got it thank you, that makes sense.

watchmen27

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/2/12
The dwo alignment is not an obvious tell unless you hand the watch over to the person for close inspection and by then, the alignment is no longer an issue since there are other more obvious tells when inspecting the watch up close e.g. sec hand, direction to adjust hands etc.

Hi 'R_N' interesting comment on sec hand(are you referring to TC)?
Do elaborate more what the issue is........sweep,hand height positioning???