• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Strange winding issue

watchman12345

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/06
I have a Planet Ocean with a "Swiss ETA". Looking at the movement it certainly isn't a span new out of the box movement. But anyway, I am having a strange issue...

On hand winding the watch operates perfectly and has a power reserve of around 40 hours. No problem.

However, the problem occurs on normal wearing of the watch. If I wear it for a normal day it self winds but only generates a power reserve of about 7-8 hours.
If I shake it a bit move it around more I can hear the movement winding (a small clicking sound) and the power reserve improves. I gave it a shake last night for around 20 seconds and it was still going 14 hours later when I put it on going to work.

This is only a minor inconvenience but I don't know why it's happening. On other ETAs I had a normal days wear would give pretty much a full 40 hours power reserve. It seems like the rotor just doesn't spin enough in normal wear. I have opened the back and the rotor seems to move freely but if I move the watch around with the case back off it does take a bit of an effort to get it moved from one side to another.

Is it just a case I need to move my arm more to get the movement winding, or is there something up inside the movement that it isn't being efficient enough? I plan to send the watch for a service and relume but is this an issue that can likely be fixed?

My guess is that it's a bit old and dry and a service and oiling would free it up a lot?

Thanks for the help.

md2020

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
26/7/12
I would say that the rotor isn't spinning enough, what I do is wind my watches manually then let the rotor just keep it wound. Just like with watch winders a big misconception ppl have with watch winders is they think its made to wind the watch but its only made to hold it wound. Try manually winding

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Probably the gears in the autowind module need cleaning and lube. It's not difficult if you like to play around inside movements. Just don't get the little gears mixed up when you re-assemble it.

md2020

Banned
26/7/12
KBH has a good point the refurbished eta movements usually are dry and need a good clean and lube, this is how o get my eta movements, I buy used and service them myself, there getting harder and harder to get now that eta has cut back production to some companies. Also the movement maker Fasa (FS) is starting to make there in-house movements to replace eta's

charm_muppet

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/9/09
I'm having a similar issue...although when my is fully unwound shaking the watch doesnt start it, i am assuming the rotor isnt spiining enough or not engaging to wind the watch.

How many turns before a watch is fully handwound? can you overwind?

Matt

md2020

Banned
26/7/12
It takes about 35-40 turns to fully wind the watch, but you can not over wind, without getting into to much technical terms, theres special spring in automatic watches that will not let this happen.

md2020

Banned
26/7/12
Here's what KBH is talking about I just did this for a fourm mate. When manually winding the rotor would start to spin as well, meaning the gears were sticking, with a cleaning and line good as new. :thumbup: good luck