• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replica with quartz movment - want to replace with automatic movt

lsiravi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/9/12
Hi guys

New here. Not sure if this is the right place. If not, please move to correct forum.

Have a Q. I have a Submariner (case looks good) with a (duh) quartz movement that someone bought in Malaysia. I want to replace the quartz movement (never ran well) with one of those chinese automatic movements. Which movement should I be looking for? (model/make). Are there any challenges to fitting it into the case? What about hands - will they work with the automatic movement, or do I need new ones? crown?

TIA

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Hi, welcome.
There are very few chances that works, as the dial, movement holder and hands are probably not compatible. Better to buy a new inexpensive sub, they're pretty good.

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
Hi, theres is no way of porting. You might as well buy one of those canal street sub which equipped with a chinese mechanical automatic movement. And those are cheap. It doesnt cost a fortune to own one of that. WHy? U might wondering why i say buy a canal street. Ok, let me explain. Cus firstly, the hands is not the same. Secondly the dial leg is not the same place as the automatic movement place. Thirdly, the datewheel is not aligned properly. Fourthly, The stem wont fit into the crown.

Ps. I have one of those submariner quartz which is spoilt whom i bought from a canal street seller. And the moment i open the caseback, it is equipped with a swiss ronda movement. But its has a lot of flaws. Like the dial font is much much smaller compared to the gen. SO no point repairing it.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Bomba

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/08
Just buy a new watch. Not worth the aggravation, especially with 21J subs being sold for $100. Narika has a deal right now on some.