• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it Bad to not wear?

Rick914

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/11
Texas
Ive been here almost a year now. Since finding this killer forum, discovering the world of great reps, and buying more than i could wear in many weeks.I have a burning question, I think i know part of the answer from my mechanical background, but I wanted to see what the community has to say.
After getting my first rep I stopped wearing my Gen Omega SMP Chrono. Now this watch has sentimental value to me and id never get rid of it, but I have wondered, as it now sits in the box in a safe.

"Is it bad to not wear a watch?"
Bad mechanically?
Bad to have something that just sits around and doesnt get used?
Bad to rather wear a replica instead of the Gen?

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Time is everywhere, on your computer, phone, wall, desk, etc. Watches are just jewelry. Let's be honest, if you look at your watch 5x times a day and after each time you look at it you don't know the time then you know you're enjoying the watch, not the accuracy of the time it's giving you. ;)

Rick914

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/11
Texas
Time is everywhere, on your computer, phone, wall, desk, etc. Watches are just jewelry. Let's be honest, if you look at your watch 5x times a day and after each time you look at it you don't know the time then you know you're enjoying the watch, not the accuracy of the time it's giving you. ;)

I completely agree with you, but then is it a bad thing that i dont wear it? I think my thinking was id rather have it in better condition when i was older, but then im not one to keep something and not use it. I would never be the guy to buy some collector Ferrari and let it sit in the garage forever....but i kind of am being with this Omega

:spank:Its very naughty to do that.

Oh you know i like when you spank :p LOL

AskMeAgain

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/11
Bad mechanically? - No
Bad to have something that just sits around and doesnt get used? - No
Bad to rather wear a replica instead of the Gen? - No and dont be silly [/QUOTE]

I have gens that dont get worn as much as they should too mate but thats the price we pay for having a box full of reps to play with. :)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Yes, very bad indeed.
You should send it to me immediately :D

Mate you won't hurt it, just be aware that worn or not it will still need servicing on schedule or before being used too much again.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Keep the watch and follow Col's advice, I'd say.

Since my collection hit its current sweet spot I no longer have the feelings of guilt/neglect about which get the most/least wrist time.

Tool watches, dress watches, beaters--all have a role, if you will.

No such thing as too many watches. The problem is too little suitable storage for them!

Just my $0.02 as always.

Rick914

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/11
Texas
Bad mechanically? - No
Bad to have something that just sits around and doesnt get used? - No
Bad to rather wear a replica instead of the Gen? - No and dont be silly

I have gens that dont get worn as much as they should too mate but thats the price we pay for having a box full of reps to play with. :)[/QUOTE]

LOL, thanks for the honesty G! I luv ya bro.
Back to the mechanical part really quick - If a engine sits and isnt started it can start to rust, now i know this is from not being air tight, temp changes, humidity changes. So that shouldnt create the same issues in a sealed watch case, but then should a movement be serviced on its suggested schedule? Is the oil still going to break down? Would it be better to stay on a winder? I wouldnt think so, but what the heck do i know :)

Yes, very bad indeed.
You should send it to me immediately :D

Mate you won't hurt it, just be aware that worn or not it will still need servicing on schedule or before being used too much again.

It will be packaged up today Col! ;)

Answered my question as i was asking it! Thanks!

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
My gen Seamaster Pro GMT isn't getting much wrist time since I got reps. I still try to wear it once a month or so.

I've even been mulling over selling it. They go for $2K on ebay. For comparison sakes, I just got a 42mm v5 Planet Ocean. It's actually quite amazing how solid and gen like it feels. Kind of makes me feel that $2,000 gens aren't worth the coin.

FWIW, every now and then when I'm looking at my watch box I'll just wind up every watch in the box to give them a little exercise.

md2020

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
26/7/12
It's not horrible to no wear it mechanicaly but you should take it out once or twice a month and give it a full wind and run the chronograph so that the oils don't crusty from non movement.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Interesting reading. So what if you let a 2836 sit for 9 months in the watch box without running even once? Is that bad? I'm running upstairs right now to give it some shakes to get the movement started. :)

Xtian

Renowned Member
13/4/12
I've been dying to ask the same question, so thanks for this thread, Rick! I know the boss mentioned "scheduled maintenance", do manufacturers set the schedule based on average times wear or just period of time? Reason I asked, I bought my gen Daytona brand new in 2005 and I've only worn it at an average of 3-4 times each year. I mean the watch looks and still feels brand new including the sticker on the caseback, lol! Should I follow maintenance schedule?

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
I wouldn't service it unless it showed some signs that it needed it. Some day the oils might dry up and things will stop working.

Does anyone know that if a watch is lubed with modern synthetic oils whether that means movements will go longer between services?

aksingh

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/10
When I look at my watch, if I see the time, the watch is failing me.

I have too many watches to wear that often but what I do is while brushing my teeth I pop over to my watchboxes and gaze at them for a few minutes, that way I am always getting something out of them.

davylloyd

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/10
Ive been here almost a year now. Since finding this killer forum, discovering the world of great reps, and buying more than i could wear in many weeks.I have a burning question, I think i know part of the answer from my mechanical background, but I wanted to see what the community has to say.
After getting my first rep I stopped wearing my Gen Omega SMP Chrono. Now this watch has sentimental value to me and id never get rid of it, but I have wondered, as it now sits in the box in a safe.

Bad mechanically?
Bad to have something that just sits around and doesnt get used?
Bad to rather wear a replica instead of the Gen?
Not just bad, but actually against the law.
If you do get caught, I'd be willing to look after that watch and wear it while you're away:D: