• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Odd problem - stops when worn

plymman

Renowned Member
13/10/10
Can anyone shed any light on an odd problem I'm having with one of my watches? It's a Swiss 2824 variant and works fine when I don't wear it, I can wind it up and leave it the watchbox for a couple of days and it keeps ticking over niceley. BUT, sometimes when I wear it (not every time) I check the time and it's a couple of hours out, yesterday I looked and it had stopped completely, a few shakes didn't get it going but a few winds did.

Any ideas on what it might be? It seems that it's some kind of movement when wear it that stops it, I don't think it's the power reserve as I had hand wound it first, could the hands be fouling in a certain position?

plymman

Renowned Member
13/10/10
Not recently, no, but I did wonder whether my time machine might have caused some damage.

justlounging

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/10
That's a very interesting issue..you should get the movement checked in either case..

plymman

Renowned Member
13/10/10
It's going to be a keeper so I'll probably get it serviced anyway, I just don't want the expense and wait of a service to find out that it's something else like the hands causing it to happen.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
The first watch I ever bought did the exact same thing. A DJ with Swiss ETA. I sent it out for service and it came back and still did it. Sent it off again and it came back and worked OK. Rex had a hard time figuring out what the problem was.

Other than looking inside and checking the movement and stem for any obvious problems, I think that's going to be a job for a professional.

plymman

Renowned Member
13/10/10
I'm starting to think it might just be a problem with the rotor, I've worn it for a couple days now, manually winding it in the morning and it's working fine with no stopping. I think the rotor might not be winding it properly which is causing it to stop completely if I wear it as an auto.

waterluver

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/7/11
I'm starting to think it might just be a problem with the rotor, I've worn it for a couple days now, manually winding it in the morning and it's working fine with no stopping. I think the rotor might not be winding it properly which is causing it to stop completely if I wear it as an auto.

i would have that checked first

plymman

Renowned Member
13/10/10
Out of interest, if it's just a case of it not auto winding properly is that something that will be cured with a service or will that need to be dealt with separately? I'm almost certain that's the issue as it's working fine with a manual wind.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Yes, it will be cured with a service, although if you've already narrowed it down to that, it would be much easier just to have that fixed. It's a separate problem with the winding module or the rotor.

plymman

Renowned Member
13/10/10
Ok, if it's cheaper than a service I'll do that then. I can't imagine it's anything else seeing as it runs consistently well on a manual wind.

I assume I'm ok to keep hand winding in the meantime? It's always a bitch trying to a decent repairer when you live in the uk...

mrcardoc

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/8/12
I had a similar problem as well. It was a gremlin for many months. What my problem ended up being was a miss aligned / dirty cannon. When the second hand would move when worn debree was causing resistance as it rotated in the cannon. Check hand and second hand alignment. Remove dial and oil the pinion and cannon gears. Hope this helps.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
If you're at all mechanical, that's an easy part to fix. Two screws hold the winding module on the movement. Underneath are 4 little wheels of which two are the reversing gears. They are the ones with holes that can be seen from the top of the movement.

You will be able to tell what's going on visually as you slowly rotate the rotor in both directions and watch for movement in the large brass gear above the even larger silver gear which is the mainspring housing. That brass gear should slowly turn in the same direction no matter which way you turn the rotor. It turns very slowly.

Cousins, UK sells the wheels and they are fairly cheap. Even though they look the same, they are not, so don't get them confused. The more expensive of the two is usually the problem so if you decide to do this, just change them both.

This explains how they work
swatchwindingtrainccw.jpg

swatchwindingtrainc-1.jpg

plymman

Renowned Member
13/10/10
Thanks, I really appreciate the info. It might be a bit much for me but when I get the time and space after the summer holidays I'll certainly have a look. I've worn it for two days straight now and it hasn't stopped once.

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
My theory of relativity solution doesn't look so silly, now!

md2020

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
26/7/12
Here's a pic of the acctual movement when I striped down the winding moduel and cleaned and lubed it. It's very easy to do, if you have all the tools. I would suggest using a mobius 9010 oil or something similar to it.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2