• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help! Where can I get cases for all these dials?

Cal-146hp

Horology Curious
23/7/12
Hi watchfans

I'm relatively new back onto the rep side of things *(although not new to reps or watches) after a foray into the Gen world. I've been doing a few builds (and ballsing a few up) and it's getting very expensive and difficult (to find the parts) when trying to use wholly genuine items for entire builds.

Hence it makes sense to take a step back to my Franken routes and start using rep parts.

Problem is, where the hell are they? Specifically I need case parts. Cases, case backs, crystals, crowns, bezels. Etc.

I know of Yukiwatch and Silix (has a very limited number of cases), searching google there are a number of sites all selling the same 5 designs of 'sterile' milsub cases, but is there anywhere else?

Any input would be appreciated, to give you an idea of what I'm after, here are some of the dials I have to work with;( I have a fair few omega and Rolex too)

d2417d1c.jpg

I have a few duplicates and spares (no shit) too which I will be selling when I am able to. The person that contributes the best link or source for cases and case parts will get first choice of the best dials when I do sell them. (please no one say EBay).

Yes, they are all Gen by the way.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
The Breitlings should be fairly simple for you. Most of those dials you have there, will fit into the rep version of the watch. You're going to need a movement , hands etc anyway. So you're better off buying the rep version. Then just do your dial swap. If you are looking to buy just a case , you maybe surprised at the cost. Many times it's just a better deal to buy an entire watch. I tried to source a rep Super Avenger case once. I was surprised at the cost.

Wacker23

I'm Pretty Popular
22/8/09
Why not ebay? If you look you can get something nice. Just do what I do buy the best rep of he dial u have and exchange the dial,crown and crystal if you have it.

Cal-146hp

Horology Curious
23/7/12
Thanks fellas, all good points raised there.

I agree, a dial-swap would be ideal for projects where I only have the dial. But I often have more than that.

These parts would be ideal for a Speedmaster build but I would only need the case, hands.. that's all.

f0baab53.jpg

(yes that is a 41 jewel Speedmaster movt. And a 24J Seamaster movt. Vintage speedy mark 2 crystal with built in tacho ring, bezel bits, dials, and a vintage speedy NATO band and a vintage speedy SS band)

I don't like buying parts from EBay for the same reason I avoid Watchnet, for me it's once in a blue moon that something i find properly worth buying actually comes along, and when it does the seller usually knows how rare it is and hikes the price to an absurd amount. Then, one of the other hundred people that have also been trawling the site for months to find the item for sale usually beats me to buying it anyway. Forget that!

For gen parts I prefer using a proper web shop where you browse stock and buy, like:*http://www.uhren-roemer.de/

In fact I need a rep equivalent of a site like Uhren Roemer, but what I am suspecting is that nothing like that exists?

jamesfl

21/5/12
If you browse the TD sited or email them, they can often get quartz model of the more expensive reps for fairly cheap. The mid-cases are often the same mid-cases used on the more expensive reps except for the movement, dial, and crystal, which of course you do not need. PriceAngels.com, Watcheden.net, and timeshops.net all seem to offer a good selection of quartz models. The photoshopping at PriceAngels.com's will make finding the exact watch you want more tedious.

Cal-146hp

Horology Curious
23/7/12
If you browse the TD sited or email them, they can often get quartz model of the more expensive reps for fairly cheap. The mid-cases are often the same mid-cases used on the more expensive reps except for the movement, dial, and crystal, which of course you do not need. PriceAngels.com, Watcheden.net, and timeshops.net all seem to offer a good selection of quartz models. The photoshopping at PriceAngels.com's will make finding the exact watch you want more tedious.

Thanks for that. I had not heard of Price Angels.

I have had some cheaper reps, quartz or "asaian automatic" (21j) but they all fell apart over the years. I have seen a few quartz reps on sites like Kuvarsit that say in the description "same case as ultimate" so I will definatly check that out.

Definatly a gap in the market for a rep parts store.

DRBAFC

Renowned Member
23/3/12
I'd say the best source would be us! I'm sure a lot of the members here have tons of watches and parts that we don't use or would rather trade in for. Or perhaps the more generous could donate parts to you.

I'm not sure your intentions of how you want to obtain them but I would think if you got your name out there in these forums, people would want to do business with you. Word gets around quick.

You could buy used and unwanted parts at a cheaper price. Or offer a trade. Possibly create a website with parts you need.

The drawback is possibly you can't get what you want in bulk which could cost you a lot of shipping fees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Cal-146hp

Horology Curious
23/7/12
Thanks touch213. That's an interesting idea.

I was thinking of setting up a simple online shop of sorts, to enable me to offer parts without having to post them one by one in the parts forum when the time comes.

I have no idea how to do this. I have set up basic sites before but nothing with a shop.

I have two relations in the industry and they are continually offering me parts, they know I'm a collector and what I like.

This morning for instance I get an Email from my uncle offering me 2 IWC movements. Cal. 7922, Cal. 79320. Both automatic chronographs, chronometer grade. Both priced at £750 each. I could not afford that right now but that would make the basis for an awesome build. And I wonder if anyone around the forum would want them? Perhaps I should post these bits up as they come - if I don't want them, offer them on?

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
I think your entire motive to post this thread is to sell those dials and now suddenly you can get expensive movements and you know industry insiders, LMAO.:biglaugh:

emmune

Known Member
19/2/12
I'm still drooling though. Been looking for a blue crazy numbers colour dream dial for a while