• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Practise sports with a rep - how shock resistant are they?

Lorentzo

4/5/10
Please excuse me if the subject has already been brought up, I could not find it when searching..

Say I would bring my rep to a tennis match, would it be fine even after a few hard hits or is it too much abuse? I am right handed and wear my watch on my left wrist, so the only problem would be the backhand (I use two handed grip).

I suppose a quartz watch like a G-shock or similar should take it, but what about an automatic movement like a 2824? I have only been playing for a little while so I don't hit very hard yet, but I think that there still is a lot of force going into the arm and continues into the watch.

Also how much other activity is too much? I use to be careful and try not to shake my protein shake too violently when wearing a watch with mechanical movement, but maybe that is not necessary? Running very fast and jumping, grab and catch stuff etc, how is that?

Anybody destroyed their watch when performing sports or other "violent" activities?

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Oh yea, every now and then when I'm cracking some F'ing skulls. I now just take it off first, crack the guys head open like a melon, and put my watch back on. Haven't broke one since. Really.:biglaugh:

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Not that I know of, but if you are concern you can always remove the rotor on the movement.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I go quartz whenever I do stuff like that. But my guess is that a decent auto would be fine.
Wear a few reps a few times and let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SecretAgentMan

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/12
I never wore my gen Rolex watches when I played tennis, golf or shoot the basketball around, let alone a rep.

D

d4m.test

I've heard a few horror stories about ruining gens that way. It's rare, but it happens. Reps would be just as susceptible, if not more so.

That said, I either wear my cheap seiko auto, or my cheap bell & ross rep when doing stuff like that.

I'm right handed and wear it on my left, but I also work with tools a lot, and my left hand feels a lot of vibrations from holding material while cutting or hammering.

No problems yet.

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
I wore a 21j rep while doing some sawzalling and sledge hammering and it survived.

paule11

Known Member
10/8/10
Bike riding every week . Have worn while sledgehammering gardening etc taken them off halfway through working when I realise that I have them on

optical

Renowned Member
31/1/10
Riding a bike, playing soccer, going for long runs, riding a motor bike. Never had an issue, this is with both 21j's and 7750's. I don't believe in babying a watch, the only one I do is my breitling flying B and that's because its a dress watch and i don't want scratches. They are tougher than you think guys... I had an ebay cheapie before I found reps and did everything with it for years, its still running strong, looks like a 21j in it.

I laughed at the whole Richard Mille thing where he gave Nadal a watch, to prove that his watches can "handle the rigorous game of tennis", lol, what markeing horseshit, my $30 ebay has done that and much more.

What a complete wank, you need a 400k watch to play tennis now do you?

abzack

Renowned Member
26/11/11
Played hockey wearing a Silix special and the only issue it had was a fogged crystal, which cleared up when I left the rink.

dsc0003cg.jpg

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
I laughed at the whole Richard Mille thing where he gave Nadal a watch, to prove that his watches can "handle the rigorous game of tennis", lol, what markeing horseshit, my $30 ebay has done that and much more.

But the RM in question was a tourbillon, which is usually a much more fragile movement, so it is still impressive that it is robust enough to be used while playing tennis, and that it was light enough not to throw off Nadal's game.