• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A man and his watch...

waterluver

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/7/11
prostitutes wear cheap shoes...my ex wore cheap shoes...hmmmmmm...I KNEW IT!!!!

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
In my experience, no. You cannot tell anything about a person from their watch.

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
The problem with the watch as a window into a person's character is that a lot of rich guys get rich by being frugal with their money. To them a watch that costs more than a $200 Seiko is probably a frivolous waste of money.

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
I call BS. Nothing can be gained from looking at someone's watch, other than they either like watches or they don't. Period.

A friend of mine (former neighbor) is a hedge fund manager. Makes obscene money and is 36. Makes well over a mill a year and he and his partners sold their firm last year for a billion dollars - with a B. They had other Wall Street firms as the majority investors, but even so they each walked away with tens of millions. My friend's boss cleared $155 million from the sale. My friend wears a Nike running watch and just "splurged" and bought himself a new Breitling Navitimer for his anniversary, but he mainly wears the running watch because it's so comfortable. They live in a gorgeous $2million house (paid cash) and he drives a brand new 7series, but they are so down to Earth. You would never guess he had more money than God by talking to him or looking at him.

Hank Paulson, former CEO of Goldman Sachs and former Treasury Secretary, wears either a Gshock or a Seiko. Either way, it's a plastic and rubber sports watch.

People in retail or in service related jobs always come up with completely ridiculous sayings about clients and other people but they rarely are ever true. You simply cannot size up a person based on appearances. It's absurd. There is only one universal saying that has stood the passage of time, and it is this...

"Big hat, no cattle..."

Anything else is just hot air and should be dismissed.

kinjomusashi

6/7/12
I call BS. Nothing can be gained from looking at someone's watch, other than they either like watches or they don't. Period.

A friend of mine (former neighbor) is a hedge fund manager. Makes obscene money and is 36. Makes well over a mill a year and he and his partners sold their firm last year for a billion dollars - with a B. They had other Wall Street firms as the majority investors, but even so they each walked away with tens of millions. My friend's boss cleared $155 million from the sale. My friend wears a Nike running watch and just "splurged" and bought himself a new Breitling Navitimer for his anniversary, but he mainly wears the running watch because it's so comfortable. They live in a gorgeous $2million house (paid cash) and he drives a brand new 7series, but they are so down to Earth. You would never guess he had more money than God by talking to him or looking at him.

Hank Paulson, former CEO of Goldman Sachs and former Treasury Secretary, wears either a Gshock or a Seiko. Either way, it's a plastic and rubber sports watch.

People in retail or in service related jobs always come up with completely ridiculous sayings about clients and other people but they rarely are ever true. You simply cannot size up a person based on appearances. It's absurd. There is only one universal saying that has stood the passage of time, and it is this...

"Big hat, no cattle..."

Anything else is just hot air and should be dismissed.

Fair enough, but I think you may have missed my post further up mate...Please take no offense as none is intended aside from clarification.

"...The watch a person wears is not necessarily an indication of the person's wealth or social status. What I'm implying is that it is a window in to the person's character. It's these fine details which define you and sets you apart from all the other people in the world...."

The fact that your multi-millionaire (or billionaire) friend doesn't care about the type of watch he sports provides us with subtle queues and further insight to the man's character. Some may take this character trait negatively while others may respect him more. In treble777's story, he was able to gain further insight in to his client's character because his client was wearing an expensive watch. The fact that your friend "splurged" a little recently and got himself an expensive watch, maybe, is an indication that he's changed a little...or maybe not.

Then again, some people can care less about watches in general. But for those who do, I offer this quote from Mr. Biver of Hublot shared to me from another forum;

"...without having to even speak it is the ultimate way to communicate who you are, your taste, your status, because to tell the time you can always just look at your phone. And if a person doesn't recognise your watch or care, well they should be dead to you anyway."

The watch a person chooses to wear (or not wear at all) tells a little bit more about that person's character. That's all I'm trying to say.

...As does car, house, etc for that matter...but this is a watch forum so...Also, watches are not as blatantly obvious.

No worries if you disagree mate, we're all entitled to our own opinions and I respect that.

:cheers:

arcadia

11/8/11
The problem with the watch as a window into a person's character is that a lot of rich guys get rich by being frugal with their money. To them a watch that costs more than a $200 Seiko is probably a frivolous waste of money.

+1. My father in law owns his own company. He wears a Seiko.

mstjulien

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/4/12
I believe it is not just the watch-- it is how men accessorize---women have always put an emphasis on accessories, but with men--some of us do and some of us don't; and I am not smart enough to know what it means either way--here is what I do know
--I can't afford Stefano Ricci ties, but I buy 1 every other month or so at a great discount at Last Call Neiman Marcus and tie a full windsor everyday--and I notice others that tie a full windsor and I notice those that don't --lol

--I do the best I can with the cuff links I can afford--I can't afford Scott Kay, but I may buy 2-3 a year (now that I have found reps--I may have a few montblanc cuff links to wear soon)

--Michael Toschi shoes-- I buy a couple a year on EBAY at a great discount--very stylish very comfortable to me

--Cashmere socks--very stylish very comfortable to me

I guess my view point is- no one can see the label on my tie, but I know the kind of silk that I like to wear so I save up and get what I can; no one can see what kind of shoes I am wearing, but for the comfort and style I will save up for a pair of Toschi's. NO one can see my cashmere socks, but for the comfort and style I will buy a pair of socks for $15 bucks every now and then and as far as my watches (I am new to the rep world)--someone posted what a watch looks like from 3ft away, 10 ft away and further--- no one can freakin' see it-- but I will look at it 100 times a day

I wear the things I wear because it is what I like and the people that notice are the people that appreciate those things the same way I do--- that is why I love this site so much-- I have posted in the watch section, the gun section, the cigar section, the pen section---the people on this site would notice and appreciate the things that i have mentioned above, but no one appreciates those things on me more than I do!! and I don't know what that tells you about my character, but I do know in the business world (like stated above) I can identify those that think the way that I do and it gives a distinct advantage

Suncoast

29/6/12
I think what you wear on your wrist for us watch says something about us, however it's one of those things you either are a watch guy /gal or not. My Bro in law is a very well off lawyer but he's not a watch guy, he thought there was something wrong with the watch his wife got him one christmas until someone removed the protective plastic over the face!!!:facepalm: However he is a big time runner if you showed up for a run at his place with the latest and greatest nikes or other shoes he's totaly notice!! I think the watches we wear on our wrist say something about us to other watch enthusiasts. Some high end watches are more sporty than others some are more technical than others, but you have to be into watches to recognize these differences.
They're just fun!!!

C5000

29/6/12
"...without having to even speak it is the ultimate way to communicate who you are, your taste, your status, because to tell the time you can always just look at your phone. And if a person doesn't recognise your watch or care, well they should be dead to you anyway."

This is pompous drivel from a salesman.

The best way to communicate your character is to have character, and this comes from working hard on oneself - it is earned. This is why there is so much talk about people guessing you have on a fake watch...because it is the one thing out of place. Just like the Beverly Hillbillies.

I generally think that most people who wear a Rollie are douchebags, because they are. The watch then becomes of symbol of this, so the people who actually like them get tossed in. This is why I don't have one, even though i like them. My wife thinks the same thing to the point of hating the watch itself.

I was at a party the other week, and it's in a wealthy suburb. One guy has some fake President with whack hands on it, and he's also wearing basketball shorts, gaudy puma shoes and a backwards baseball hat. Douchebag. He can't help himself, and no watch can help him either. Low standards, low character.

kinjomusashi

6/7/12

The best way to communicate your character is to have character, and this comes from working hard on oneself - it is earned. This is why there is so much talk about people guessing you have on a fake watch...because it is the one thing out of place. Just like the Beverly Hillbillies.

I generally think that most people who wear a Rollie are douchebags, because they are. The watch then becomes of symbol of this, so the people who actually like them get tossed in. This is why I don't have one, even though i like them. My wife thinks the same thing to the point of hating the watch itself.

I was at a party the other week, and it's in a wealthy suburb. One guy has some fake President with whack hands on it, and he's also wearing basketball shorts, gaudy puma shoes and a backwards baseball hat. Douchebag. He can't help himself, and no watch can help him either. Low standards, low character.

Excellent examples mate. I know many a douchebag of which you speak, and I try to avoid them like the plague. Unfortunately, in the business world, it's close to impossible not to run it to a few.

cwazy1

29/2/12
This is exactly why I too, do not wear Rolex's.
I feel the same about some other luxury brands as well... Such as women strapping on a LV bag, and then almost displaying it at every occasion. I have a few friends who do this and its quite annoying.
Its almost like saying that mainstream luxury brands are bad because everyone knows about them and can associate them with the wealthy, and the stereotypes driven by those.

orson

Renowned Member
8/12/09
I wouldn't consider anyone at all a douchebag unless they hurt or robbed others, certainly not for bad taste.

Many years ago as a young engineer on a subsea project in a construction yard far from home we used to play a game in the pub after work.

Each would put a pound coin on the table and when a suitable target walked in and up to the bar we would each describe who he was, status, job or profession, wealth etc.,

Once the bets were in someone was nominated to approach the guy and ask what he did.

The chance of getting it right was only that......chance, no more.

Gathering the coins from a win was no easier than betting on a snail race :cheers:

C5000

29/6/12
I wouldn't consider anyone at all a douchebag unless they hurt or robbed others, certainly not for bad taste.

Many years ago as a young engineer on a subsea project in a construction yard far from home we used to play a game in the pub after work.

Each would put a pound coin on the table and when a suitable target walked in and up to the bar we would each describe who he was, status, job or profession, wealth etc.,

Once the bets were in someone was nominated to approach the guy and ask what he did.

The chance of getting it right was only that......chance, no more.

Gathering the coins from a win was no easier than betting on a snail race :cheers:

I agree up to a point. Would depend o your selection criteria for the person in question. I guarantee that if you have a fine enough eye, you would be more accurate than chance. If you know how to spot a bespoke suit, then I would bet this person is not working the docks. If you know how to spot bespoke shoes, then the same x10.

Then again you might spot Rod Stewart in a pub after playing soccer with his pals, and you would think he worked the docks. Depends if they are hiding their tells. You typically cannot change enough personally to hide your tells.

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
There is something about quiet, understated confidence that transcends attire or personal hygiene at the moment. The previous post mentioned Rod Stewart in a pub after playing soccer with his pals. Even dirty and sweaty, if you didn't know he was a global superstar, there would still be something about him in that situation that would make you believe he was of a higher stature than a docks worker. The way he would carry himself, order a drink, or anything at all, regardless of how he appeared, would just be done with quiet confidence. It's hard to put a finger on it but it's just there and it is something that cannot ever be faked or taught. It comes from years of success and the struggles and effort that it takes to achieve it.

TastyTreats

21/5/12
Never Land
I work in the hospitality industry, in a 5* resort and usually, by the general appearance of a person, you can in a way "imagne" what watch they are wearing. Most of the time I am right. One of my G.Ms was quite pompous, he rightly wore a Rolex. Another one was very dynamic and athletic type, he wore a Chopard MM. One was very calm and composed and sophisticated and usually wore an Ebel 1911, i usually sat on his left during meetings and would look at his watch...then one day he wore a Frank Mueller and i was in awe. He noticed me looking at his watch and after the meeting, he removed his watch and handed it to me and asked if i liked it. Well hell, i told him it was a fantastic watch! Know what, he smiled and told me it's a fake! And i'm pretty sure i am the only one who knows about that...BTW, i was wearing my fake Tag Heuer GCC17. Cheers. R.
collection-of-funny-photos04.jpg

Sofacleez

Known Member
11/5/09
I have long given up on judging people by their watches. I have a acqaintance (not really a friend) who has tons of money, nice house, great job, trophy wife, etc. He wears a Seiko he picked up on a business trip, when his other watch broke. On the other hand one of my buddies who is of more modest means has several JLC, PAMs, PPs, and so on. He probably has around $200K in watches. He wears them and is obsessive about them. No rollies - wouldn't own one.

I, on the other hand do always notice what kind of watch someone is wearing. Not for judging purposes, but out of curiosity. If a guy is wearing an interesting watch I will compliment it. Why?
Simple. It may be an ice-breaker or someway to personalize an encounter. For example, if a guy is wearing a watch that I know, I'll say - nice Rolex. Often the response is , thanks, I won it in a sales contest. I would never spend that much on a watch. OK - not a watch guy. No foul.

However, if he is a watch guy, he may launch into a conversation about it, and within a few minutes we have established a common interest, walls come down. Afterall, in my experience watch guys are way rarer than "car guys." Not to mention a lot of car guys just want to show off.

I recently ran into a guy at a trade show I knew 20 years ago . Frankly, I really didn't have that much to talk to him about. I noticed he was wearing a Panerai - I said "nice Panerai." His eyes lit up, he said to me, "you know I have had this watch for 5 years and you are the first person to notice it!" It was great, we talked about his interest in watches, his collection, the fact he just picked up a rough Paul Newman Daytona that was being restored. That led to a lunch to show me the watch when he got it back from his watchsmith (a real beauty BTW.) We are now talking about doing a project together.

Ken

rud19

26/5/12
Quite interesting that views vary to the two extremes, and I am pretty sure everybody is right.
However, If I were to put the question this way: IS THE WATCH YOU WEAR A WINDOW TO YOUR PERSONALITY? This is a question for us here, because I know we are all proud of our watches and love them. And I am pretty sure that watches that each one of us wear has something to say about us.
Apologies KM for jacking your thread.
I know, i might be wrong.
BTW, I met a new Food and Beverage Manager and he sports a cool Breitling AM (atleast that's what I think it is). I complimented him and the guy doesn't even know what he is wearing! He got it as a gift, that's it...
R.

orson

Renowned Member
8/12/09
If I were to put the question this way: IS THE WATCH YOU WEAR A WINDOW TO YOUR PERSONALITY?

The watch I am wearing is a fake :unsure: hang on a moment I am just off to close the window......