• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Just got my UPO ...a few observations and questions! (+PICS!)

cooltx75

Horology Curious
21/5/12
About a week ago I received my 45mm UPO which I bought from Puretime, it actually arrived very quickly! I did a lot of research in this forum and in others before I pulled the trigger, and I am very glad I did as I knew nothing about the world of replica watches!

I couldn't be happier with the watch, and at least from my impression owning it for a week it looks to be of high quality. When I took it to a jeweler to adjust the band and links he told me I had a "wonderful watch" and that I had made a great purchase. Fooling a jeweller is definitely impressive!

Now for the few remaining questions I have....I have searched the forums and basically the most recurring issues people have with the UPO are: A) the crown and tube, B) the pearl and C) the uneven lume.

I see that a lot of people decide to mod their UPOs with genuine parts as DIY projects...I've read the guide on changing the crown and tube, and frankly this is not something I would ever dare to attempt to do myself. If the consensus is that the fake crown and tube eventually fail and only by replacing it with genuine ones is the problem fixed...then what can be my options? My guess is that watch repair shops can't be expected to mod a fake watch with genuine parts when it involves special instructions that do not correlate with the genuine watch....is that so?

Regarding the crappy lume, I suppose I can live with that--I understand some members offer the service, but it's not something that bothers me too much. What does bother me frankly is the pearl. Obviously, it's close enough that few could tell...but the more I look at it the more I hate it It's frankly the one tiny flaw in this watch brewing OCD on me, and that were it to be fixed, it would make the appearance vis-a-vis the genuine virtually perfect. Is changing the pearl a laborious process? Can it be done by someone like me? I have not come across any how-tos on that.

Anyway....thanks for the help I've already received by reading countless threads! :) I do love my UPO!

I'll attach some pics....(they're thumnails so click to enlarge)

redirector.php

mrs1986

13/3/12
Nice watch you have there!! Enjoy it with healt!!

About the pearl, the worst thing i can see about the pearl is the placement, it is supossed to be at the center of the triangle... I actually like in this way more lol! Anyway, is your watch :D but you should have to know that only the people on this forum can see those things!

So dont look at it with bad eyes and enjoy it, you have a great watch buddy!!

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
The pearl is part of the bezel insert on the UPO. It's a very easy replacement.
Heat up with a hair dryer and pry the insert out. Clean and cool, then put the new insert in with small dabs of Gorilla glue. Let dry 24 hours and VOILA!
Not sure of the best source for a replacement at this time though.
Crown and tube: wait and see if it strips before worrying about it. Mine is 3 years old with frequent wear and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrs1986

13/3/12
I guess if one is carefull about the crown and tube you shouldnt strip it... It has an extremely thin thread though

tracyl

22/4/11
I tried to take the bezel off my UPO and it wouldn't come off. I even bought a bezel remover and gave it to my watch maker, and it still wouldn't come off. I gave up and sold the watch. But I wouldn't recommend gorilla glue, it swells really bad during the drying process. And you may never get it off again. You might want to just try the stuff watch makers use for gluing crystals, but I forgot the name. You can by it from ofrei.com.

The pearl drives me crazy too, but now that I put gen hands on my 42 PO, I can now see that the second hand tip color was not as bright at the gen hands. Also the size of the helium valve crown and size of the crown are more noticeable than the pearl sometimes. But if I want it to look perfect gen, I'll just go buy one! For now, it is an awesome watch, and I still enjoy it.

cooltx75

Horology Curious
21/5/12
The pearl is part of the bezel insert on the UPO. It's a very easy replacement.
Heat up with a hair dryer and pry the insert out. Clean and cool, then put the new insert in with small dabs of Gorilla glue. Let dry 24 hours and VOILA!
Not sure of the best source for a replacement at this time though.
Crown and tube: wait and see if it strips before worrying about it. Mine is 3 years old with frequent wear and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I understand correctly, you're saying the only way to replace the pearl would be to get a genuine bezel right? I've read in several posts that the gen bezel on the 45mm UPO was an extremely tough job to do though....or am I thinking of something else?

Mds2004

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/5/12
If I understand correctly, you're saying the only way to replace the pearl would be to get a genuine bezel right? I've read in several posts that the gen bezel on the 45mm UPO was an extremely tough job to do though....or am I thinking of something else?

I've read that you do need to mod the gen insert as well but there is an eBay dealer who sells better looking rep inserts at ~$30.

Lenny

I'm Pretty Popular
28/8/11
great watch -good luck with falling in love with it - you will ;)