• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Wanting to get a AP rep for my husband

Blho01

Horology Curious
18/6/12
I am new to RWI and I am a gal, kinda rare on this forum I guess, so I hope you guys can help me ;)

I am hoping to get an AP royal oak watch as a surprise for my husband, as well as a Cartier santos 100 mid size (with pink leather strap) for myself.

I am clueless which AP to get???? Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated ... I know My hub like watch with leather strap and chrono.

Also, which TD should I get my Cartier and AP from? price is not really am issue for me, quality is more important to me.

TIA!

fixen

Renowned Member
3/4/11
Get him the new updated ap roo safari with a hornback strap :)

jstreit

Renowned Member
18/1/12
Puretime.co is a good dealer and watcheden has been my favorite. If your hub is a fan of orange, the volcano is normally a piece every ap enthusiast has. Also chronopassion is a staple in line up. Hope you enjoy the Cartier and he enjoys the AP :)

aksingh

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/10
Go for Puretime or Toro not Watcheden, they are not for the fainthearted. AP Diver V3 is the best AP rep at the moment but could be V4 out in a couple of months so...

JC7

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/6/10
Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to be of assistance to you.

tim_meadows.jpg

arcadia

11/8/11
I am hoping to get an AP royal oak watch as a surprise for my husband, as well as a Cartier santos 100 mid size (with pink leather strap) for myself.

TIA!

Wow, if only most wives are like you. ;)

dlc.nla

23/8/11
AP Royal Oak Jumbo Ultimate 1:1 on bracelet with white or black dial. Reeks class & versatility, can be worn in the pool or in a tailored Italian suit, the movement is a tried & true workhorse, & the size is a classic 40mm (i think)

If your looking for something a little beefier, AP Diver V2 (to save a little cash) or V3 (to have OTB superlume).
Either version on rubber (best look IMO), or steel bracelet. They also look great on a custom made leather strap from one of our trusted strap makers.

As for a dealer I recommend Toro Bravo for AP's. He's very patient, honest, has a sharp eye, & lightning fast shipping. Just be sure to ask if the watch is in stock before paying...

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
I always knew that our fellow members are 100% helpful towards the noob, but only today that I know that they are 120% helpful towards a female noob :D

Blho01

Horology Curious
18/6/12
Wow! So many suggestions from all the cool gentlemen here! Shy... All of u are so helpful! :)

My hubby is an understated kinda guy, he owns a few gen IWC cos the subtleness of the brand appeals to him, so I think diver v3 will suit him. I really hope he will like the choice I made for him.

I had contacted toro but the diver is currently oos, so I have to wait for pre-order. Should I get Asian or Swiss movement? Any difference? Cos the one with Swiss movement is $90 more.

tranzmizzion

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/12
Lol if this were a dude there would be howls of "use the search feature!" ;)

I vote diver v3. I have both a black themes and the v3 diver and i think the diver is less finicky.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Hi Blho, welcome to RWI. I'd go for the Asian clone, it's damn well near as good a movement and the problem with Swiss is that sometimes you don't get what you pay for, the factories often substitute either Asian or a re-made used Swiss for the real deal without the dealer noticing (it's very hard to tell).

If the Asian clone ever does die one of our watchmakers can always swap in a real Swiss one later for not too much more than the $90 premium and that will be an actual new ETA, guaranteed.

revhrd

5/2/11
LOL ever so helpful we are, aren't we... Your husband will definitely like the diver when you place the order you will get approval pics, post them here and the fellas will help you and ensure it is good enough to present to your husband.

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
Just to chime in re: the asian v. swiss question, I think with the V3 divers the Swiss is actually a decent choice. They are using Sellita sw200-1 movements, which are relatively new and to my knowledge have not been "cloned" by asian movement makers. This means that the risks usually associated with getting the swiss movement in a rep, like getting old stock, fake, or refurbished eta movements, are not really an issue.

It may still need a service, but in all likelihood the movement will be of better build quality and durability than the asian one. Whether that's worth the $90 is a personal choice, but I went with swiss. With a dealer like Toro, I am pretty confident that they won't charge you for the swiss and put in an asian movement. I'll still check, though, because mistakes do happen.