• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I've finally worked out why rep fora are better than gen ones

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
I reckon that a big percentage of the guys on gen fora are there to brag. Of course, we can't really brag about our reps in the same way - so there's the opportunity for more comradery.

Add the fact that ours break and are imperfect means we need (and obviously like) to know how they work (under the hood, so to speak).

So wat I'm saying is that it's the reps shortcomings that actually make our communities.

Discuss

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Have to agree. When there is nth much on the status (I hate how people like to take wrist shot with the logo of their cars) to brag about, we tend to discuss more on the technical stuff.

And the fact that reps are less reliable than the gen means that many of us will have to do some self repair/modding here and there when needed, and learn during the process.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Very true, people here have a better spirit imo.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Agree on the assessment that people here tend to be very helpful, knowledgeable and really into watches. Just look at some of the builds people have made. They require a lot of dedication, an amazing amount of in-depth knowledge, passion and know how. A lot more demanding than walking into a store and say "I wahhn tha' one!"

I tend to disagree though that gen forums are necessarily overrun with show offs. Some of the guys there are really good guys (and many are members both here and there) who are genuinely into watches. Hard to generalise. I'd say the braggers are still a minority (at least in the forums I'm familiar with).

Bardamu

I'm Pretty Popular
29/12/11
a big percentage of the guys on gen fora are there to brag.

I agree. Not all of them, and probably not most of them. But many of them, yes, and it's enough to make it boring quite often. Fortunately, there are also many good guys, real watch lovers whith deep knowledge, who come to share and enjoy.

But it's a fact : on rep forums, people don't come to show off and say proudly "after my Patek and my Lange last month, I bought an AP today".

It's more friendly here, and that's probably the reason why I come here more and more, and in gen forums less and less. Even if it's so much easier for me to write in French than in English.

But I will probably still go on gen forums, because IMHO it is still the best place to get information about new products released by the brands.

Paul

montrealer

22/7/08
I think that the pursuit of an exact 1:1 copy, should it be stock from the TD or modded forces us to look at a multitude of details on the gens (textures, shapes, lume colors, number of bezel clicks, crystal AR etc...) and thus, make us even better "experts" on the subject than gen owners.

There are many show off new high value gen owners on gen forums but I agree with the previous poster that there are some great people there too...

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
The highlight of the day on gen forums is somebody managing to change a strap :)

In fairness there is good info on gen forums (sometimes) about new releases and discussion about brands/Prices/design etc, but I agree, it is often ruined by the 'look at my watch next to my merc' brigade. There are also too many diehards brand fans at times, where if you say anything even slightly critical (or constructive as the case may be) you may well be castigated and hung, drawn and quartered for bringing the brand into question.

Theres a little bit of irony in it but rep forums are much more about watches than brands, ...even though diehard gen brand fans would have a fit if you tried to explain that to them!

jeffw69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/11
Archie sums it up:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrjBXXv0_xk&feature=plcp"]Watch Collecting Forums - Timezone RolexForums BreitlingSource TheHourLounge - YouTube[/ame]

FDG

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
11/7/10
We buy the watches to have a beautiful and most gen like watch as possible, here we envy the watch from another and then buy it ourselves.

At the gen forums, they envy the money the other has. It's all about money on the gen forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I liked this place from the get go. (RWG too) Seems we all have something that brings us together.
Is it the thrill of knowing wat others don't? That reps a so fecking good....... :)

I think I have bragged here BTW.......... Does Franken UPO, SD, 4GPO and 5GPO ring a any bells? I was so excited about them at the time, I just wanted to show them off. :lol:

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
I'd like to add entitlement. Alot of guys with high end gens didn't make it on there own.

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
There is only so much conversation you can have with:

Hey, check out my new watch!

Next 20 posts: Awesome dude!

I got into reps because I wanted watches I could mess around without any fear. I never opened the case back on my gen omega for fear of scratching it or effing up the water resistance.

arcadia

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/11
So wat I'm saying is that it's the reps shortcomings that actually make our communities.

Agreed. If our reps were flawless there's nothing more to discuss.

114a.jpg

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Gens forums are full of boring, stuck up, know it alls .:sub4me:

phillycheez

6/6/09
Rep forums are diverse (financially) and you need a open mind to respect reps which is why rep forums seem so much more down to earth.

Plus rep builds and frankens are waaaay more interesting to talk about.

SecretAgentMan

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/12
Ive never seen so much ass kissing on those forums........their ego needs to be stroked so they can feel good for the day. LoL!

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
There is only so much conversation you can have with:

Hey, check out my new watch!

Next 20 posts: Awesome dude!

I got into reps because I wanted watches I could mess around without any fear. I never opened the case back on my gen omega for fear of scratching it or effing up the water resistance.

My thoughts exactly and I will add that buying a watch that must first clear customs adds even more spice to the hobby as opposed to just walking into an AD and plunking down cash. What a mundane way to buy a watch :)

giobo

6/5/10
Of course guys our hobby is great..
It is for guys who like ,light adventure lol...

Gen forums have boring threads..Like a milion congrats or enjoy or i have the same look at my pics..
But you should never
forget that there is way too much info in there..

I have learnt a lot of stuff about watches and movements or history..

Also some members have great knowledge..

I would never forget that i first heard for RWI through a gen forum..
Then i didn't buy a watch from a TD but i went and overpaid 3-4 watches from local stores due to the QC and no risks...What a noob...
Of course now i am sold...