• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"swiss" movement?

jag182

Horology Curious
31/5/12
Is it worth it to pay the extra ~$90 for the "swiss" movement?

cwazy1

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/2/12
I personally would never go for a Swiss movement, for two reasons..

1. Its cheaper to swap an Asian movement if anything has an issue, even if its a small problem, you'd be able to just swap movements for the same cost, if not even cheaper than fixing it.
2. What's the point of a 'real' movement in a 'fake' watch?? :lol: I personally believe in homology!

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
exerpt from "repping philosphy according to robbie 101"

Do I upgrade to Swiss? NO NO and NO
Why?-In today's rep'dom I dont not upgrade. Because the clone, often described as an a28xx (a2836 or Asian ETA) is a fantasic knock off of an ETA movement. Dealers often send clones as ETA's w/o knowing it and often times, *if it is a genuine ETA movement, it can come with clone parts in it or used parts and/or movements are often sent...For instance, they can be customer returns and/or parts bin movements that are resurrected and re-used...the clones are fully serviceable as well....great movements.
why????-Swatch Group has scaled way way back on production of its movements to unflood the market, many Swiss Watch Companies use ETA movements in their product...most with proprietary *decorations and such but 100% ETA like Breitling, Tag, Omega, Tisso, Oris, Movado and many more

vinnie007

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/10/11
Is it worth it to pay the extra ~$90 for the "swiss" movement?
I was with the same thing and a lot of guys said i had to take the asian... In the end after some research i go for swiss... I think i will not have any problems (for several years) when having a swiss movt in it... I read from some modders here and they state that the ones they get back are 99% of the time asian movts... So for the durability i will go swiss!

Since there is no sellita factory in china it must be swiss;)

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Take it from the rep philosopher, save the $90 and use it for the next tune-up on the Jag.

Oh yeah, Welcome :)

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
It depends what swiss movement it is. If it is the SW 200 Sellita movement, those are supposed to be very good.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
It depends what swiss movement it is. If it is the SW 200 Sellita movement, those are supposed to be very good.

In the end though it's just another clone of an Eta.

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
Yeah, but a new stock, swiss manufactured ETA clone is better than an asian one, and arguably enough to justify the $90.

vinnie007

16/10/11
Yeah, but a new stock, swiss manufactured ETA clone is better than an asian one, and arguably enough to justify the $90.
It is, and since it meets swiss standards it is more likely you wont have any problems with it... That it is correct regulated etc.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I have two clone movements that have been going for about 5 years and from my own experience I cannot say that swiss manufactured Eta clone would have outlasted the chinese clone.

Considering all the factors including durability, performance and cost, I don't think you can say that one is necessarily better that the other. Again, just my experience only.

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
the moral to this story is know and trust your dealer , this is absolutely true,, some dealers snowball u and send u a eta swiss with mostly clone parts or visa versa but if your dealer also becomes your friend and how to establish this relationship is to not gripe over 10 bucks here and there because another dealer has it 10 bucks cheaper type mentality , just trust them until they screw u then bust out on them here or the forum they do business on ,, then find another dealer to trust, now back to the subject at hand

if u trust your dealer and i have a few , if they tell u it is swiss eta with no clone parts then for me i go for the swiss upgrade, now if u are penny pinching and want to save money which the way economy is i dont blame u , get the asian 2836 , as cybee said it is solid , it can last a long time and it usually has interchangeable parts for swiss if something goes wrong , but u cant get a swiss eta brand new installed or swapped out for $90 bucks in the USA unless u get lucky and get a steal on a movement ,, but normal buying u can not ,

now the question for u is , do u trust your dealer?

rbj69

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
There's a chance that an asian clone will last as long as the sellita, but based solely on the quality of materials and standards of production put into the swiss movement, I think it's safe to say that generally speaking your odds are considerably better with a swiss. now whether that's worth an extra $90, I don't know. Depends how risk averse and willing to spend you are.

squashlover

2/8/11
What about going with an Asian and having it serviced IMMEDIATELY for reliability and durability? Don't you think a SERVICED Asian movement would be just as, if not more reliable than an UNSERVICED Swiss?

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
What about going with an Asian and having it serviced IMMEDIATELY for reliability and durability? Don't you think a SERVICED Asian movement would be just as, if not more reliable than an UNSERVICED Swiss?

me personnally like to tell my customers to not service them for at least 3 months to a year ,, reason being they are all new movements , let them break in , asian and or swiss, i dont think u will especially a 2836 or 2824 get any longer time just because u serviced it immediately ,, kind of like a new car u drive it for a while then get it serviced ,, but i advise keep that watch running contiuously , whether a watchwinder or daily wearing, then u will find out what she is made of and if there is trouble ;)

rbj69

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11

If my understanding is correct, the Sellita SW200 movements that are being offered as an upgrade in some watches, like the AP Diver V3 for example, are new stock swiss movements. Meaning that they don't need to be serviced, as they come clean and appropriately oiled from the factory. The same is not usually true with new stock asian clone movements sold to the rep factories, from what I've read.

squashlover

2/8/11
Wasn't there an issue with the SW200 movement from the beginning? Isn't that why there was a later version called the SW200-1?

If my understanding is correct, the Sellita SW200 movements that are being offered as an upgrade in some watches, like the AP Diver V3 for example, are new stock swiss movements. Meaning that they don't need to be serviced, as they come clean and appropriately oiled from the factory. The same is not usually true with new stock asian clone movements sold to the rep factories, from what I've read.

Racer686

10/10/10
i like the Selitta movements because I hope that there is a difference in quality of the parts, hardness of the metal, correct oiling of the movement. I hope my trust in this movement proves to be correct.

Pete

OmegaPOFL

Renowned Member
10/3/09
i'm sure it's been said already...

the swiss eta 2824/2836 ones you see... are mostttttttt likely a franken of REAL swiss and asian parts....... ORR the worst..... full asian with eta stamped on. yep.

now the new AP divers and few other watches are getting the Selitta "SW200" (equivalent to the 2824 eta) .... that i'm not sure if the chinese have repped yet... but IMHO, they're still fully swiss.

as someone pointed out, yes there were issues in the "first batch or two" of the ap diver... b/c of the movt. but i believe that has been fixed.......

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Side by side comparison photos of Swiss parts vs. Asian parts ... Swiss are more robust.... But I've had great performance out of all my Asian movements except the Asian 7750 sec@6 ...... That one is a stinker!